Help in utilizing a DIY speaker system.

anujprateek

Hello,

I have this DIY setup currently:

- 3 Speakers (Using as rear & center): Philips fullrange 48002 (15W RMS with peak 25W RMS 8")
- 2 Speakers (Using as front): Philips fullrange 48002 with philips tweeter
- 1 Subwoofer: I guess it is daytona 10" one with 100RMS

All the speakers are in closed boxes which are local made and available readily at SP Road, Bangalore.

Sub is also mounter in a local made box following 4th Order Bandpass System.

I am using a again a local made 5.1 amplifier with it (bought from Pooja electronis) which was told to be having upto 100W RMS power.

Well the whole setup costed me some 9K out of which 4K was for amplifier (i know it could have been cheaper if negotiated well).

Overall they sound well and I like the quality as well as volume.

Now, with more money in pocket I want to purchase a AV Receiver. I was thinking of using the same speakers and sub with it.

I have a 20x15 room.

- Will this much RMS be enough?
- Which AV Receivers should I look at?

Regards & thanks,
Anuj

Hi Anuj,

Please can you post pictures of your system..
Also can you give dimension details of the front speakers and tell us how they sound without the sub.

Pictures, I do not have any right now. Will click and post it.

All the speakers carry 8" philips full range drivers. Front have additional tweeters. Fronts are approx 1 X 1.5 X 2 feet in dimensions (not accurate).

Without sub, they sound good (playing only fronts). The bass response is flat. Treble is good. Mids are good.

Hi Anuj,

Please can you post pictures of your system..
Also can you give dimension details of the front speakers and tell us how they sound without the sub.

Well I want to go with the cheapest ones. My current setup costed me around 9K. I will be able to shell out about 22-25K for AV receiver.

For the budget of 22-25K you can go for ONKYO-HTS3300, which comes with AV Receiver and matching 5.1 speakers including a passive subwoofer. Have an audition and decide.

You could also look around for a good preowned AV receiver, and ask the owner if you can audition it at your place before you buy. You may get a better deal that way.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back