Help me choosing a Stereo Amplifier

firebird600

Guys I'm from Chennai and new to this forum....so Hi all......I have a pair of Aiwa 50Watts 16 ohms speaker, I need a good Stereo amplifier now ..Now I'm using it with a 20 watts pc speaker amplifier..will be using it mostly with the pc and an audio cd player..I have no idea about the amplifiers that I can get within my budget.....Budget within 10 K but can extend another 10 k if it deserves...Genres : Lounge, Fusion, New age & Rock

Last edited:
Firebird:

We are in the process of creating a standard checklist for all new forum members who ask for some help. Some of the points may not apply to you and it has been written with some humorous points, but please go through the following text, and come back to us with specific questions so that we can provide specific answers. In particular, we need more details on your speakers - make, floor standing/bookshelf, frequency response, sensitivity, connection method (clips. binding posts, etc).

Cheers

---------------------------------------------------------------------
A Big Welcome to this forum and we hope you have an 'enlightening' time here!

There are a lot of well-informed people here who will help you with all your A/V questions. However, in the interest of saving their time and yours (advice is free, time is not!), we've created a check-list to go through before you start posting. This will make things efficient for all of us.

1. GO THROUGH THE FORUMS
Please search through the existing forum threads BEFORE posting a new question. We've seen that many newcomers have similar questions about almost the same products. So it saves a lot of our time if you make the effort to do a thorough search of postings. There is a search button on top that will pop up a pull down menu. Enter the text you want there, and the site will throw up many threads.

There are many sub forums on specific areas as well as an extensive listing of all India dealers in the "Authorised Dealers" sub forum.

2. GIVE INFORMATIVE TITLES
Please do not give titles that have no relation to your question. Putting subjects like 'AVR/LCD/newbie ' gives us absolutely no clue about the query (nor any incentive to open your post). Also, Please don't put titles like "Heeelp meeee, yaaaah!" as your subject line.

We assume (and sincerely hope) that you're not being molested as you write this post. Don't make yourself sound as if you are.

3. THE DEVIL IS IN THE DETAILS
In order for us to help you select the right system , we need to know a bit more about you. No, we do not need information on: your sexual preferences, your favourite actor, your political affiliations or your favourite football team.

We DO need information about :

a. Budget
This critically decides what components you can and cannot afford to audition. It is sometimes the most important deciding factor.

b. Listening tastes
Are you a rock fan, jazz aficionado or are you more of a classical/vocal music listener? Audio systems (like your 'ideal' marriage partner) are supposed to be compatible with your personal tastes. One size does not fit all. In this category also mention whether you're looking for a Home Theatre (HT) for movies first or a Stereo system for music only.

c. Listening area
What is the size and general layout of the room you plan on using the system? What is the distance from the system/TV to your listening couch? What kind of flooring and furnishings does (will) it have? Materials absorb sound energy differently and can make a significant impact on the overall system sound.

d. Systems already selected
If you have already some system or components in your mind, please list them so we can help you decide what matches and what doesn't (based on our experience with them). If you have auditioned any systems, mention what you liked/disliked about them.

e. Where do you Live
We don't need your apartment number but city details will help us locate good dealers in your area. Or warn you of places not to go to.

4. LISTEN TO YOUR SOUL
It is somewhat a waste of time and space to ask forum members to rate systems for you on an absolute scale. Coming back to the marriage analogy, you're not going to ask us to "spend some time and rate" your potential partner before marrying him/her, are you? Similarly, do not ask for absolute Yes/No answers from us on audio components. We can only give you our impression of them. Music is an extremely personal choice and the only way to be completely happy with your purchase is to Thoroughly Audition it. Listen to multiple systems and to the same system over time. This is the only way to audio nirvana. Neglect this step and you will diverge from the "One True Path", never becoming a true audiophile Jedi. If there are dealers who stand in your way, discard them and go to other dealers who understand the importance of listening sessions.

Of course, if you live in an area where no good dealers are present, then the forum members will definitely help you to select candidate components as close to your taste as possible.

5. FEEDBACK AMPLIFIER
Once you have finally got your dream system (Congratulations!), please do leave feedback about how it sounds and what to watch out for. This will help future newcomers avoid your pitfalls and also enrich our own knowledge base. Here we will like some more details such as the following:

1. What was the price you finally paid?
2. Which dealer did you buy from?
3. Did you get any special price and what was the reason?
4. What made you decide on the system configuration that you purchased?
5. How many auditions did you have and with which dealers. How was your experience with the dealers?

If you've read this far and still want to join, then once again, Welcome to our world!

Cheers

I have no idea about the amplifiers that I can get within my budget.....Budget within 10 K but can extend another 10 k if it deserves...Genres : Lounge, Fusion, New age & Rock

Norge comes in that price bracket. Norge concerto Gold with remote will cost you around 9.5k

If you are willing to double the budget then there are some good ones out there from CA, Marantz and NAD. But in that case its a crime to use your current speakers. Get some in the lines of the Diamonds, Avant, Bronze, Fusion series.

All the best.

Firebird:

In addition to what Unleash has suggested, here are some more options.

Since you are in Chennai, see if you can visit Audiocraft and audition their amplifiers and speakers. If you like the sound, you might get a full system for around 15K.

Also visit ProMusicals and listen to Pulz amplifier that he has. You may have to marry that with a new pair of speakers.

Cheers

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back