Help me decide: 42" Sony vs. LG vs. Samsung LCD

GeoTracks

Re: Help me decide: 40/42" Sony vs. LG vs. Samsung LCD

Hello all,

First off, I've been trolling these forums for a while and I've read most of the relevant posts and threads. There's amazing amount of information and thank you all for that, but then sometimes too much information can get pretty confusing, isn't it? :p Comparison of the merits of a specific technical feature is essential, but I am finding hard to create a wholistic picture of what is good and what is bad from it. And hence this fresh/separate thread to get slightly more specific advice. Please pardon.

I am in the market for a 40/42" LCD TV and my budget is about Rs70k-80k. Can stretch it to about 90k. The TV shall be the main TV in the house and the usage shall be roughly: normal TV viewing (DishTV DTH) -75%, movies/videos - 25%. (I can switch to a different DTH provider if need TataSky or Airtel but that's a different story). The movies shall be DVDs or DivX downloads. The typical viewing angle spread would be about 60 degrees on other side of center line (hope you understand what I mean). The viewing distance would be about 10-15'. This TV shall be the primary TV for the next 3-4 years, I guess.

The models that I've narrowed down to are:
1) Sony KLV-42W550
2) Sony KLV-42V550
3) LG 42LH90QR
4) Samsung LA40B650T1R (I am not too keen on Samsung due to panel lottery. Further, as others have pointed out they are more interested in pushing their mediocre and misrepresented LED TVs for unreasonable prices. (wondering if an MRTP case can be filed against them :)

I am looking for good PQ and decent audio for most general viewing for my needs - something which will be useful for daily viewing and for most content. Sony seems like a safe bet, but LG LH90 looks too tempting feature-wise.

My question is:
1) Which TV is best suited for my requirements and around what price?
2) Is there a way I can check and compare the TVs in stores more objectively? Is there are Test DVD or something available online that I can burn and take along for testing?
3) If the stores do not allow this type of testing, then what all should I ask them to play and show? (I know ticker on News channels is one)
4) Between Sony W550 and V550, I won't mind paying the difference, if the PQ and general experience are better. Question is are they?
5) Are there other brands and/or models that I should consider?
6) Are there more options that open-up at the top end of my budget ~90k?
7) What would be the right price for the models, preferably in Delhi?

(BTW in guess GeoTracks is also in a similar situation. What did you decide, GeoTracks?)

I'd really appreciate if the expert and more experienced forum members can help me out...

Thanks.

Yes, have pretty much narrowed down to the choices you've mentioned. The SONY 40W550 (90K) is good no doubt, but the difference on 20K between this and 40V550 (70K) is not justifying for only 100Hz Motion Flow. That equates to about USD $400 (approx.). Normally in the US / UK the price difference between V & W is around USD $100 +-. Thus, just not able to come to a decision whether 20K is worth it. Most probably the way SONY is brining in tech to its S, V & W lines, most probably the V series will have the 100Hz Motion Flow in 2010 models is my guess.

The PQ on both to me at least looks 'identical' but some here do feel the contrast is slightly more on the W compared to the V. Also, the backlight & filter may be different on the W as comapred to V series. This could be true but I personally could not tell the difference. The Motion Flow did make a difference for the tickers on the CNBC channel but could tell much for any other Tata Sky channel. Not too much into Sports & CNBC channels, hence again 100 Hz may not be used much, since it is recommended to be turned off for regular movie / TV watching.

As for the Samsung 40B650, certainly has attractive features and well liked. However, they are not currently available. Yesterday went to Croma and they said they could get one for me at 80K and minus 2K if I did not want the free DVD movie pack & free DVD player. Forum members here have bought it as low as 72K, but the Croma guy just did not want to hear and come below 78K.

Having said that I did comapre the Samsung 46B650 to the SONY 40/46V550 very closely. Though almost evenly matched, the V colors & PQ was slightly better in my opinion compared to the B650. But then it is a personal opinion. Others may find B650 better. Again dealers are known to take 'booking amount' from customers and keep them waiting, hence do not want to get into this situation. Saying b'cos 40B650 is nowhere available currently and just curious how Croma was going to 'get' me one if required.

The LG LH90, I have only seen it once and I have posted my observations in this forum earlier. The LCD was not connected well since it had newly arrived, so the PQ was not the best. Also, 'amanker' has posted a good comparison between the LH90 US model compared to the stripped down version they market in India. While some forum members who have bought is / are almost buying it like it a lot, do take a look for yourself and dec

Re: Help me decide: 40/42" Sony vs. LG vs. Samsung LCD

Hello all,

First off, I've been trolling these forums for a while and I've read most of the relevant posts and threads. There's amazing amount of information and thank you all for that, but then sometimes too much information can get pretty confusing, isn't it? :p Comparison of the merits of a specific technical feature is essential, but I am finding hard to create a wholistic picture of what is good and what is bad from it. And hence this fresh/separate thread to get slightly more specific advice. Please pardon.

I am in the market for a 40/42" LCD TV and my budget is about Rs70k-80k. Can stretch it to about 90k. The TV shall be the main TV in the house and the usage shall be roughly: normal TV viewing (DishTV DTH) -75%, movies/videos - 25%. (I can switch to a different DTH provider if need TataSky or Airtel but that's a different story). The movies shall be DVDs or DivX downloads. The typical viewing angle spread would be about 60 degrees on other side of center line (hope you understand what I mean). The viewing distance would be about 10-15'. This TV shall be the primary TV for the next 3-4 years, I guess.

The models that I've narrowed down to are:
1) Sony KLV-42W550
2) Sony KLV-42V550
3) LG 42LH90QR
4) Samsung LA40B650T1R (I am not too keen on Samsung due to panel lottery. Further, as others have pointed out they are more interested in pushing their mediocre and misrepresented LED TVs for unreasonable prices. (wondering if an MRTP case can be filed against them :)

I am looking for good PQ and decent audio for most general viewing for my needs - something which will be useful for daily viewing and for most content. Sony seems like a safe bet, but LG LH90 looks too tempting feature-wise.

My question is:
1) Which TV is best suited for my requirements and around what price?
2) Is there a way I can check and compare the TVs in stores more objectively? Is there are Test DVD or something available online that I can burn and take along for testing?
3) If the stores do not allow this type of testing, then what all should I ask them to play and show? (I know ticker on News channels is one)
4) Between Sony W550 and V550, I won't mind paying the difference, if the PQ and general experience are better. Question is are they?
5) Are there other brands and/or models that I should consider?
6) Are there more options that open-up at the top end of my budget ~90k?
7) What would be the right price for the models, preferably in Delhi?

(BTW in guess GeoTracks is also in a similar situation. What did you decide, GeoTracks?)

I'd really appreciate if the expert and more experienced forum members can help me out...

Thanks.

Yes, have pretty much narrowed down to the choices you've mentioned. The SONY 40W550 (90K) is good no doubt, but the difference on 20K between this and 40V550 (70K) is not justifying for only 100Hz Motion Flow. That equates to about USD $400 (approx.). Normally in the US / UK the price difference between V & W is around USD $100 +-. Thus, just not able to come to a decision whether 20K is worth it. The way SONY is bringing in tech to its S, V & W lines, most probably the V series will have the 100Hz Motion Flow in 2010 models is my guess (e.g. last year V series was not Full HD, did not have Live Color, XMB bar etc., this year's 550 series has all these features)

The PQ on both (W & V) to me at least looks 'identical' but some here do feel the contrast is slightly more on the W compared to the V. Also, the backlight & filter may be different on the W as compared to V series. This could be true but I personally could not tell the difference. The Motion Flow did make a difference for the tickers on the CNBC channel but could tell much for any other Tata Sky channel. Not too much into Sports & CNBC channels, hence again 100 Hz may not be used much, since it is recommended to be turned off for regular movie / TV watching.

As for the Samsung 40B650, certainly has attractive features and is well liked. Features like DLNA. 100Hz and Divx capable?? (not sure) USB drive etc. is missing on the V series. However, it is not readily available in stores. Yesterday went to Croma and they said they could get one for me at 80K and minus 2K if I did not want the free DVD movie pack & free DVD player. Forum members here have bought it as low as 72K, but the Croma guy just did not want to hear anything and was not willing to come below 78K.

I did compare the Samsung 46B650 to the SONY 40/46V550 very closely, which Croma had on display. Though almost evenly matched, the V colors & PQ was slightly better in my opinion compared to the B650. The Croma guy who seemed knowledgeable also recommended the V series for its PQ. But then it is a personal opinion. Others may find B650 better.

The LG LH90, I have only seen it once. 'amanker' has posted a good comparison between the LG LH90 India & US versions in this forum. Read thru' the comparison list, take a look at the LCD and decide. Some here on the forum really liked it a lot b'cos of back-light source being LEDs.

With all this, for now at least, the SONY 40V550 is at the forefront of my thoughts. Do let us know if you find out anything more in your comparison study.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back