Help me decide on Stereo Listening Room

jigarpatel

I am in process to decide which room to be made dedicated stereo listening room.

I have following three room and their dimension (width x length x height)
  • Room No 1 (Bed room 1) : 10' 6" x 14' 1" x 8' 5"
  • Room No 2 (Bed room 2) : 10' 2" x 14' 1" x 8' 5"
  • Room No 3 (Study Room) : 10' 2" x 12' 6" x 8' 5"
I have used room mode calculator Amroc : THE Room Mode Calculator, bolt-area suggest all three room dimensions are good.
I have used PS Audio room size calculator Room Golden Ratio Calc, which also suggest all thee room can be used for listening room.
Room Calc.JPG

My concern is with acoustics treatment, Which room will can be better treated ?

For reference please check below 3D-model of each room.

Room No 1: Acoustic challenge sliding door running on length wise.
Listen Room - 1.jpg

Room No 2: Acoustic challenge sliding door running on width wise, behind listening spot.
Listen Room - 2.jpg

Room No 3: Acoustic challenge sliding door window on width wise, on front wall of listening spot.
Listen Room - 3.jpg

Nice room modeling software! Good to have these tools.

Of the 3 options shown:
I would prefer Room no 2 as a first choice
Second choice would be Room no 3 (windows behind and smaller size)
The windows and french windows will be an issue in Room no 1

Good luck with Listening Room setup!

Regards

Of the 3 options shown:
I would prefer Room no 2 as a first choice
Second choice would be Room no 3 (windows behind and smaller size)
The windows and french windows will be an issue in Room no 1

Thanks, I leaning towards Room No 3, Since it's window if require it can be closed completely or window glass can be covered with some acoustic material.

Also it will very easy to get dedicated power line, network cable into Room No 3.

Most important reason is will get instant approval from family, since it does not contain any furniture. :)

Thanks, I leaning towards Room No 3, Since it's window if require it can be closed completely or window glass can be covered with some acoustic material.

Also it will very easy to get dedicated power line, network cable into Room No 3.

Most important reason is will get instant approval from family, since it does not contain any furniture. :)
Just open the window in room 3 and let some of the sound waves escape.
This is one way to minimize wall reflections (minimize not eliminate).
Since the width of room 3 is on the smaller side, choose manageable speakers.
Towers may pose more challenges than stand-mounts.

Cheers,
Raghu

Have very thick curtains on the window. It will do fine. My room is similar.

All three rooms would require some amount of acoustical treatment.
My first choice would be room 3. Thick & heavy curtains would do the job to a great extent.

For room no 3, worked on basic layout and acoustic treatment.
Music Listing Room.jpg

This is just layout based on my thoughts and reading done on various forums.
Things will be in following order.
  1. Speaker placement and listening position - in Image used 1/5th rule.
  2. First reflection point - book case.
  3. Listen & Measure using REW
  4. Bass Traps - All corner - Half height
  5. Listen & Measure using REW
  6. Rear diffuser
  7. Listen & Measure using REW
  8. Room ceiling - sound absorption
Window already has thick curtain.

Please suggest if I am missing anything important or if you think order steps required to be carried out.

I have following three room and their dimension (width x length x height)
  • Room No 1 (Bed room 1) : 10' 6" x 14' 1" x 8' 5"
  • Room No 2 (Bed room 2) : 10' 2" x 14' 1" x 8' 5"
  • Room No 3 (Study Room) : 10' 2" x 12' 6" x 8' 5"
All 3 rooms have almost similar dimensions, with abt 1 ft variance on one of the sides..

I would prefer to use wider side of the room to evenly space the speakers from side walls and plan for acoustics accordingly.. No hands-on acoustics, just started with them in my room..

The other advantage of choosing wider room IMO, is you can place some thick bass traps along the front wall/floor corners if you can, behind the speakers.. You can also target floor corners for bass traps as it would give you a larger area (all this is only if you can accommodate them in the room)..

A measurement would give you detailed info on speaker placement adjustments (if reqd) and the acoustics needed for the room..

I would recommend dealing with the lows first.
Try not to use foam as bass traps in the corners. Foam does very little if anything for low frequencies.
Mineral wool double-wrapped in cloth will do wonders for bass.
If possible place the book case on the back wall as diffusor & pyramid/egg shell foam on the side walls for first reflections.

I think that any room where you can keep the window/door open when listening will be the best.
BTW, very nice room modeling software:)
What is it?

@elangoas : sure will keep that in mind, will measure and listen by keeping wider and length side, decide based on it.

@Naturelover: Modeling software is google sketchup. In-deeded very good software, very easy to learn.

Currently I am just finalizing room, actual moving system in room will happen may be in coming 6 month or more.

Well my current setup very basic : Intel Nuc -> Marantz PM7005 -> Wharfedale Diamond 225.

Will upgrade in distance time.
What I have in mind for upgrade : denafrips ares ii DAC -> Naim Nait XS2 -> DynAudio Special 40.

You may consider bass trap on top corners as well.
Also consider wider bookshelf to take care of reflections of both speakers

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back