Help me use this preamp/streamer/dac

Akshit2111

Hi guys
Few days back i ran a thread where i was suggested to add a power amplifier to my current "AVR only" setup. Since my AVR did not have pre outs i ended up buying this preamp/streamer/dac YAMAHA WXC-50 ( https://in.yamaha.com/en/products/a...ing_amplifiers/wxc-50/specs.html#product-tabs )

So the issue is that now i have upgraded my AVR and have sold the power amp and i am not finding this equipment of much use to me.

A lot of streaming capabilities are already covered in the new age AVR's.

Since its not a conventional AVR or an INT AMP not many people are aware about the uses ( including myself).. coz of this it has become a hard sell.

Can you guys please suggest as to what good use i can put this product.

If the new AVR offers all the streaming capabilities of the Yamaha, then sell the Yamaha.
Else, connect the preout of the Yamaha to your new AVR and enjoy.
Or buy another small amp and speakers to use it as a second system.

If the new AVR offers all the streaming capabilities of the Yamaha, then sell the Yamaha.
Else, connect the preout of the Yamaha to your new AVR and enjoy.
Or buy another small amp and speakers to use it as a second system.
Not much interested in any secondary system as of now.
Will the ess sabre dac be of any help.

Marantz sr6013

Congratulations. I guess this or getting a stereo amplifier was my suggestion in one of the starting pages of that thread. Getting this receiver was a good decision.

Try to Sell this steamer / preamp. It won't be easy as there are so many cheaper devices that do more or less the same job. I would suggest using this as a DAC/preamp with active speakers connected to your TV. Since this consumes lesser current , it won't hurt your electricity bills. Connect the tv set top box digital output to it and a pair of active speakers. You'll have a great TV setup.

MaSh

On paper, The Yamaha has a lesser specced dac chip than your AVR. While the choice of dac chip is far less important in determining sound quality than the overall implementation of the DAC section, in this particular case, I wouldn't expect any sonic advantages by using the Yamaha as your dac.
But you can always try.

Congratulations. I guess this or getting a stereo amplifier was my suggestion in one of the starting pages of that thread. Getting this receiver was a good decision.

Try to Sell this steamer / preamp. It won't be easy as there are so many cheaper devices that do more or less the same job. I would suggest using this as a DAC/preamp with active speakers connected to your TV. Since this consumes lesser current , it won't hurt your electricity bills. Connect the tv set top box digital output to it and a pair of active speakers. You'll have a great TV setup.

MaSh
I dont have any active speakers. Selling it has become difficult as not many ppl are aware of such devices. And unfortunately right now i cannot sell on this forum as i don't have that many posts.

Last edited:
On paper, The Yamaha has a lesser specced dac chip than your AVR. While the choice of dac chip is far less important in determining sound quality than the overall implementation of the DAC section, in this particular case, I wouldn't expect any sonic advantages by using the Yamaha as your dac.
But you can always try.

I feel the same :(

I dont have any active speakers. Selling it has become difficult as not many ppl are aware of such devices. And unfortunately right now i cannot sell on this forum as i don't have that many posts.

Hmm maybe or maybe not. I guess you have enough posts (30 needed I think) to put up a Sale post.

MaSh

Hmm maybe or maybe not. I guess you have enough posts (30 needed I think) to put up a Sale post.

MaSh
31 to be exact! What basically post mean? Threads right? Coz i tried posting add but it failed i guess dont know why.

@Akshit2111
Have you tried connecting the Yamaha to the AVR using AUX out?
Does it sound better for 2CH vis-a-vis AVR? If so, hang on to it for a while (if feasible) and hear it out until you complete your speaker setup.
Many folks (like me) don't like fiddling around with AVR settings for 2-Ch.
Cheers,
Raghu

@Akshit2111
Have you tried connecting the Yamaha to the AVR using AUX out?
Does it sound better for 2CH vis-a-vis AVR? If so, hang on to it for a while (if feasible) and hear it out until you complete your speaker setup.
Many folks (like me) don't like fiddling around with AVR settings for 2-Ch.
Cheers,
Raghu
I havent tried connecting it to my AVR.

Update-- tried with avr.. better experience with avr. To keep the comparison consistent played both thru bt

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back