Help me with a proper UPS for my setup

meow

Hi,

I have a Samsung 32 inch LCD TV and I have connected my PC to it. My SMPS is Corsair VS650. Also I have a Dlink wifi router. I need a UPS for this setup. Power backup required is 5-10 mins for saving progress and shutdown. Please suggest me with a good model.

Thanks
Meow

I am also looking for power backup for my setup( TV+HT ). I need some UPS to continue for 5 mins, meantime generator starts. With that I can continue to watch without interruption.

Appreciate any inputs.

I think you should go with APC-1000VA or APC-1500VA (links embedded for your convenience). You can see the reviews and decide accordingly. Other FMs can suggest anything better.

51-6Z9Tu25L.jpg

71an8l19hZL._SL1500_.jpg

41wVRaHiaVL.jpg
41ixGu-U0zL.jpg

A couple of things to consider... a PC UPS is good for short term backup. If you are willing to spend a little more, a pure sine wave home UPS is a better option. You can continue using PC even during power outages.

I even run an Onkyo AVR + 5.1 speakers on my home UPS.

Luminous for home UPS, APC for the PC. Both are good and will work well for a long time.

A couple of things to consider... a PC UPS is good for short term backup. If you are willing to spend a little more, a pure sine wave home UPS is a better option. You can continue using PC even during power outages.

I even run an Onkyo AVR + 5.1 speakers on my home UPS.

Luminous for home UPS, APC for the PC. Both are good and will work well for a long time.

In case of power outs does Home ups react as fast as computer ups without switching off your equipment?

In case of power outs does Home ups react as fast as computer ups without switching off your equipment?

Pure sine wave does. I've since stopped using the likes of APC. Depending on capacity you can power many gadgets... I'm running 2 PCs, a HT, 2 TVs, multiple lights and fans, DTH, router, etc.

APC Home UPS 850VA Sine Wave BI850SINE https://www.amazon.in/dp/B009Y4BSAE/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_XATRxbJV8MSR6

I hope this will react as fast.

Sine wave power supply is continuous.

APC however will have limited battery backup... their batteries are internal. You could get APC external battery pack too.

With a home UPS you get external battery pack that will last for 8-9 hours and more. Mine lasted that long once when there was outage for nearly 9 hours. Typically you'll not need more than a few mins to an hour.

I think you should go with APC-1000VA or APC-1500VA (links embedded for your convenience). You can see the reviews and decide accordingly. Other FMs can suggest anything better.

I am told by one of the sellers on Amazon that these models are not pure sine wave. People are recommending going in for online (double Conversion) type UPS. But these things are pretty expensive around 20K for APC and Eaton.

I have 3 apc 1000 and 2 external battery packs. These are not pure sine wave but I cannot hear any audio differences although sine wave is preffered. The oldest among them was purchased 4 years back and I have replaced it's battery a month back.

Home UPS is a bigger UPS not just an inverter. They are usually online which means that power to equipment is always from the battery and will not need switching while power charges the batteries. Batteries are costlier than the ups itself and need to be replaces every few years depending on ambient temperature and maintenance.

When you say home UPS, you mean an inverter right?

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

No, its a UPS. Power supplied is always from battery. In an inverter the battery only takes over when there is power outage... in a UPS the mains charge the battery, but the power is always supplied from the battery... hence the term UPS (uninterruptible power supply). At least that's my limited understanding and I'm sure more knowledgeable folks will have more/better answers.

RegaHA is right when he talks about online ups. These are the best. However there is another variety of ups call offline ups which shifts to power directly when electricity is present. The difference between offline ups and inverters is that the ups are better at shiftING as compared to inverters.

Gurus need your advice,

APC BR series is stepped sine wave, line interactive.
APC SUA series is pure sine wave, line interactive. cost difference - double
APC SRC series is pure sine wave, online double conversion - another 25%

1. My understanding is that the wave pattern comes into play only when the utility power fails or the UPS is drawing power from batteries. Is this the right understanding?

2. I don't want to run my equipment for extended period on batteries. I just need the UPS for clean consistent supply and protection from spikes, surges and distortions. Is it safe to go in for BR series?

A double conversion online ups is what you need.

Stay away from the home ups - inverter types for hi fidelity gear even if they are sinewave. That market is super competitive and price sensitive. So quality of power is not the focus criteria.

The double conversion online ups are not marketed at the home segment. You will need to get in touch with people who sell these for IT, hospitals.

Last edited:
Thanks FMs

I am narrowing down to
1. A 3 phase home protector to protect from over and under voltage situations.
2. A Dedicated phase for all my HT equipment
3. A 1KVA online double conversion UPS to power the AVR and the sources.
4. TV to be on direct line after home protector. (So that I can limit the UPS capacity to 1KVA)

One question - APS seems to be popular brand for online UPS. Do we see any problems with Indian brands like Microtek / Sukam / Luminus? I have a feeling that India based brands understand India power scenario better than US based brands like APS.

Yes apc online ups is best. Been using it for last 8 years... not a single equipment has been damaged as a result. Completely worth the money.

Sent from my SM-J710F using Tapatalk

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back