Help needded - stereo amp and speakers

My budget is 30K, can anyone suggest me a stereo amp with a matching speakers for this price.

a lot of people recommend craftel based in Chennai - I would recommend the Norge 1000 Concerto Gold stereo amp paired with Norge bookshelves - bank for the buck around 20k. You can also try the Norge tower speakers - but i would say save the money with this combo and get a oppo 980 for plackback. It wont disappoint you.

My budget is 30K, can anyone suggest me a stereo amp with a matching speakers for this price.

If you have a PC then get an Asus soundcard at 8K and the Altec Lansing MX5021 speakers at 7K. Great combo and will deliver SQ better than anything else at just 15K. Invest the rest in an entry level HTIB from Onkyo or Yamaha and you'll have the best of both worlds.

Otherwise what supra has said is a good combo. Also, check with magma, he'll have lots of suggestions in that budget.

What would you be using this setup for music or movies?
Depending on them options can be suggested.
Also if for music it further depends on your musical taste.

If you have a PC then get an Asus soundcard at 8K and the Altec Lansing MX5021 speakers at 7K. Great combo and will deliver SQ better than anything else at just 15K. Invest the rest in an entry level HTIB from Onkyo or Yamaha and you'll have the best of both worlds.

Otherwise what supra has said is a good combo. Also, check with magma, he'll have lots of suggestions in that budget.

Wow! I have a PC and I got your point, But still i doubt whether it could match the sound clarity of a amplifier?
I have an HTIB from sony, but for music it as good as scrap

a lot of people recommend craftel based in Chennai - I would recommend the Norge 1000 Concerto Gold stereo amp paired with Norge bookshelves - bank for the buck around 20k. You can also try the Norge tower speakers - but i would say save the money with this combo and get a oppo 980 for plackback. It wont disappoint you.

Do you know any shop in bangalore sells this Norge, So that i could go and have a first hand experience on this weekend

What would you be using this setup for music or movies?
Depending on them options can be suggested.
Also if for music it further depends on your musical taste.

Only for music for movies i have a crap system SONY DAV DZ 750 K

Do you know any shop in bangalore sells this Norge, So that i could go and have a first hand experience on this weekend

i dont they have anyone in bangalore - but check talk to Mr Bajaj. Drops in a mail and he will respond immediately. Check the website for more details. Also I had left hsi number somewhere in the forum. i will try to find it out for you but the email works

Hi,

Well for that kinda budget for stereo music, I'd say give Cambridge Audio (CA340SE),Marantz(PM4001/5003) a try for electronics and Wharfedale (9.1/9.2) and Mission (M32i) for speakers.

Will be the best possible setup for the money ;)! Also if you are looking for a or is open to Pre-Owned stuff,Since you are from Bangalore I can help you please PM me for further details.

Regards.

Hi,

Well for that kinda budget for stereo music, I'd say give Cambridge Audio (CA340SE),Marantz(PM4001/5003) a try for electronics and Wharfedale (9.1/9.2) and Mission (M32i) for speakers.

Will be the best possible setup for the money ;)! Also if you are looking for a or is open to Pre-Owned stuff,Since you are from Bangalore I can help you please PM me for further details.

Regards.

PM'ed my contact numer

Wow! I have a PC and I got your point, But still i doubt whether it could match the sound clarity of a amplifier?

At the budget you have quoted any day. You're not going to be getting anything great at 30K for both speakers and amp either way. Do you have a source or is that included in this budget or have you allocated more budget for it?

Coming to what I've suggested the Asus Essence STX costing around 8K has a better DAC than most CDPs way over its budget. The right player like Foobar or cPlay and you've got a great transport/source. The Altec Lansing MX5021 are no slouch either. Most PC speakers with subs have boomy, loud bass. This one has the perfect bass, great mids and very good highs too and it does go quite loud too. I bought my first pair for around 12K and I think it retailed for 14K or so when it came out initially. Now at 7K nothing comes close to it at that budget.

Otherwise the best other option is what soundsgreat has suggested of going for pre-owned stuff. You will get much more mileage for your budget with pre-owned stuff, but you need to be careful and make sure its working/genuine stuff.

Thanks to all of you for your valuable suggestions, At last i pinned down to my first amp and speaker. I had an audition in vector bangalore. For amp i selected NORGE 1000 and speaker Wharfedele 9.1. I had audition of 9.2 as well, but i doesn't prefer extra bass produced by 9.2 and settled down for 9.1.

I bought speaker from vector and paid for NORGE 1000. Now awaiting for the delivery of amp. Mr Bajaj conveyed me a delay of 2 days in delivery of AMP. Eagerly awaiting for the system to go live.....

I planned to connect this AMP to my computer with following specification,
Mother board - Intel Desktop Board D945GCNL
Intel High Definition audio subsystem based on the Realtek ALC888 audio codec.

Advanced jack sense for the back panel audio jacks that enables the audio codec to recognize the device that is connected to an audio port. The back panel audio jacks are capable of re-tasking according to users definition, or can be automatically switched depending on the recognized device type.

Stereo input and output for all back panel jacks
A signal-to-noise (S/N) ratio of 95 dB

Any further suggestions from experts appreciated

Thanks to all of you for your valuable suggestions, At last i pinned down to my first amp and speaker. I had an audition in vector bangalore. For amp i selected NORGE 1000 and speaker Wharfedele 9.1. I had audition of 9.2 as well, but i doesn't prefer extra bass produced by 9.2 and settled down for 9.1.

I bought speaker from vector and paid for NORGE 1000. Now awaiting for the delivery of amp. Mr Bajaj conveyed me a delay of 2 days in delivery of AMP. Eagerly awaiting for the system to go live.....

I planned to connect this AMP to my computer with following specification,
Mother board - Intel Desktop Board D945GCNL
Intel High Definition audio subsystem based on the Realtek ALC888 audio codec.

Advanced jack sense for the back panel audio jacks that enables the audio codec to recognize the device that is connected to an audio port. The back panel audio jacks are capable of re-tasking according to users definition, or can be automatically switched depending on the recognized device type.

Stereo input and output for all back panel jacks
A signal-to-noise (S/N) ratio of 95 dB

Any further suggestions from experts appreciated

except for the likes of Venkatcr (and a few others) we are just common people like you. Anyway first things first:
1. Good choice of VFM amp
2. Good choice of spekers though I would have suggested 9.2 - you may need the bass as this amp does nto really have line out to connect a sub but can be done via L/R out. Anyway its always nice to have a lil bass and body to the music
3. The specs are fine for the HW in the mobo ( i have the ALC 889 audio codec with realtek chipsets with similar specs and can say that the analogue out sucks big time. I use the mobo to send digital out directly to my receiver and sound in better wrt to bass and clarity. The HW implementation messes up the sound with a lot of interference from electrical signals. Pleas einvest in a decent sound card. Atleast a cheap maudio or even a Asus DX will be be a better bet than the onboard mobo sound card. (but do listen to the setup first - you might be satisfied). In reality any budget soundcard will sound better than onboard sound cards on the mobo.

I use the mobo to send digital out directly to my receiver and sound in better wrt to bass and clarity. The HW implementation messes up the sound with a lot of interference from electrical signals. Pleas einvest in a decent sound card. Atleast a cheap maudio or even a Asus DX will be be a better bet than the onboard mobo sound card. (but do listen to the setup first - you might be satisfied). In reality any budget soundcard will sound better than onboard sound cards on the mobo.

As mentioned how do you "send digital signal directly to receiver" , how i can achieve the same?
Do this NORGE amp have a digital input? Do PC have a digital output? how i can distinguish? how i can connect ?

Sorry if my question sound stupid, I am very new to these terms .

first of
you can use a digital siganl only if you have a digital to analogue converter
basically a DAC

now all AVR's generally have this built in
but stereo int amp DONT have this
your NORGE int amp DOES NOT have it

if you want to use digital out you will have to buy a a sperate DAC like the beresford for 8k

digital siganls are taken from the MOB via either the optical output or a digital CO AXIAL o/p
does your MOB have any of these

if not forget the whole story
or buy a Soundcard that has one

ofcourse then it would make sense in buying a SC with a good dac as well ( so you wont have to spend on the beresford)
in effect buy the asus essenceSTX for 8k or the Asus DX for 5k

One more thing to add - Use a good player like Foobar, XMPlay, or cPlay (the best of the lot).

Long term look to getting the Asus Essence STX, its the best and on analog out will beat everything else in sight (i.e. cost).

One more thing to add - Use a good player like Foobar, XMPlay, or cPlay (the best of the lot).

Long term look to getting the Asus Essence STX, its the best and on analog out will beat everything else in sight (i.e. cost).

Also apart from what everyone has added for the soundcard and the media player and need for a good soundcard and media player, I would like to add that if you go for something like a ASUS essenceSTX, use the ASIO drivers. I am sure it would support it (Moserw can confirm it as I am not up to date with latest sound cards)
Basically using the ASIO drivers will bypass the use of windows kernel system which deteriorates sound a lot.
If you dont want to go through all these hassles as still use your PC as source, Magma's suggestion is best i.e. to use a decent DAC and use the digital out of your motherboard soundcard

The ASIO part is correct. Coming to external DAC, I would still recommend a good soundcard like the Asus over any external DAC.

Also apart from what everyone has added for the soundcard and the media player and need for a good soundcard and media player, I would like to add that if you go for something like a ASUS essenceSTX, use the ASIO drivers. I am sure it would support it (Moserw can confirm it as I am not up to date with latest sound cards)
Basically using the ASIO drivers will bypass the use of windows kernel system which deteriorates sound a lot.
If you dont want to go through all these hassles as still use your PC as source, Magma's suggestion is best i.e. to use a decent DAC and use the digital out of your motherboard soundcard

It will sound very good indeed but with one caveat. The Altec Lansings are near field speakers. So, if you sit by your PC and listen to music while you are working on something, then that is fine. As otherwise if you would like to sit a distance away, then they are not so good.

But for the price they are fantastic. Although lately I have been hearing that their quality control is not what it used to be. The MX5021s are now available at around 6000 rs. in Chennai. That is a great deal.

Some of the other options suggested in this thread also make a lot of sense. Remember that you can mix and match. You can still get that soundcard installed on your machine and use it as the source and get it connected to the Marantz or CA amp to get the best of both worlds. All the best.

Yeah, well, using ASIO is called for. But then who is going to tell this to ASUS whose drivers are almost as bad as Creative's? Also the ASIO drivers that they supply with the card are not true 32 bit ones. So, if one is going to use a high quality solution like cPlay for playback, you cannot use ASUS' ASIO drivers. Thankfully though, ASIO4ALL saves the day. :)

Back