Help Needed - Advice for transporting large amount of Vinyls from US

rcathik

Hi Everybody,

First of all, Happy New Year !. I wish this year bring abundance of joy and happiness to your lives !

I am living in the US and so far have collected around 250 (80% are 2 vinyls books - so around 400 - 450 odd )Vinyls. I am relocating to India ( so cost of transportation is covered ). I need some advice on how to pack them and safely hand over for transportation ( to shipping agency ).

I have the following questions:

1) What is the safe way to pack Vinyl Records ? ( it is super heavy by the way - most of them are 180gms :) )
2) Do i need to declare the Vinyls to the customs ( since most of them are old vinyls and i am coming in TR, my guess is it will not be taxed )

Any advice in transporting vinyls is welcome !

Thanks,
Karthik.

I got two double walled cardboard boxes of slightly bigger dimensions. Thermocol and bubble wrap and packed them with layers between the walls and between every 20 records or so.
Technically TR should cover your customs, but practically it's another story. Try to find a local import export agency to move things along in case they get stuck

Happy new year to you too!
Some stores that carry vinyl records will have shipping boxes (vinyl or LP mailers) which can be purchased for transporting them. I believe that's the best option unless you want the DIY route as mentioned above.

Technically TR should cover your customs, but practically it's another story. Try to find a local import export agency to move things along in case they get stuck
I had to pay a big sum for TR ,10 years ago, for a 20 foot container of my stuff after having lived in the US for 20 years. Yes one should be prepared to shell out a bit of money though technically TR should be free.
Cheers,
Sid

Packing them take advice from other FMs. Label the boxes as "Old Records" ;).
They don't usually open boxes. Catchy stuff will be electronics.
If you are having them shipped to Bangalore, you will have to go to ICD for customs clearance.
Since they are in large quantity, you may have to convince them it is not for commercial purpose.
Have your shipping/clearing agent handle things. Just go like there and look innocent.
Cheers,
Raghu

I got two double walled cardboard boxes of slightly bigger dimensions. Thermocol and bubble wrap and packed them with layers between the walls and between every 20 records or so.

Thanks Greenhorn - will do so.
Time to buy some bubble wraps :)

Packing them take advice from other FMs. Label the boxes as "Old Records" ;).
They don't usually open boxes. Catchy stuff will be electronics.
If you are having them shipped to Bangalore, you will have to go to ICD for customs clearance.
Since they are in large quantity, you may have to convince them it is not for commercial purpose.
Have your shipping/clearing agent handle things. Just go like there and look innocent.
Cheers,
Raghu

Thanks Raghu.
Yes, honestly - most of them are old records !
I am transporting my KEF Speakers - Technics Player - etc with the vinyl records ( and the technics was manufactured 1979 :p ) so i think i should be good.
Will keep this thread posted !

Cheers

I had to pay a big sum for TR ,10 years ago, for a 20 foot container of my stuff after having lived in the US for 20 years. Yes one should be prepared to shell out a bit of money though technically TR should be free.
Cheers,
Sid

Thanks Sid ! Will update once i ship and clear it !

Cheers

Happy new year to you too!
Some stores that carry vinyl records will have shipping boxes (vinyl or LP mailers) which can be purchased for transporting them. I believe that's the best option unless you want the DIY route as mentioned above.

Thanks Ktks - will update you how it goes !

Cheers

Thanks Raghu.
I am transporting my KEF Speakers - Technics Player - etc with the vinyl records ( and the technics was manufactured 1979 :p ) so i think i should be good.

Cheers
When I shipped from UK, they refused to accept electronics. If this is the US, please let me know which shipper you are using, and their approx tariff rates. I will be moving back from the US myself later this year!,
I would not ship a TT via Courier - Pack it well and carry it yourself! I have carried a TT every time I travel from abroad to india!

Just curious, which TT ?

When I shipped from UK, they refused to accept electronics. If this is the US, please let me know which shipper you are using, and their approx tariff rates. I will be moving back from the US myself later this year!,
I would not ship a TT via Courier - Pack it well and carry it yourself! I have carried a TT every time I travel from abroad to india!

Just curious, which TT ?

Oh - thats bad. I got a quote from Universal Relocations. They do take TV / HIfi Systems etc. So i think TT wont be a problem. I am planning to buy a DJ TT Carry case ( it has super padding and support to TT)

I own a Technics SL1700 DD and a Technics SL 1200 MK2 ( although MK2 is beaten up to pulp by previous owners and its about to pass out - i may use it for parts :p )

Will keep you posted on how it goes !

Cheers

Thanks Raghu.

Cheers
Does your record player work with 230 V ?
TR is usually fine as long as you have proof of purchase . Records may not be an issue as courier/postal imports do not have any imports.

Does your record player work with 230 V ?
TR is usually fine as long as you have proof of purchase . Records may not be an issue as courier/postal imports do not have any imports.
Hi Arj,

Yes, i bought a Japan make Technics TT, it is dual voltage compatible. I bought them from an craigslist source.
Lets see how it goes !
Will write a post once i move back to India.

Thanks,
Karthik

Probably not the best way since you have 400 of them, but I would suggest hand carrying as much as possible. I have come back with 100 records or so without any problems. I usually get a very strong carry on that I can fit about 50-60 that I carry by hand, rest goes in the suitcase. Done it that way for many years. If I were you I would carry 100 of my favourite/most values ones by hand, and ship the rest by sea.

Hi Everybody,

First of all, Happy New Year !. I wish this year bring abundance of joy and happiness to your lives !

I am living in the US and so far have collected around 250 (80% are 2 vinyls books - so around 400 - 450 odd )Vinyls. I am relocating to India ( so cost of transportation is covered ). I need some advice on how to pack them and safely hand over for transportation ( to shipping agency ).

I have the following questions:

1) What is the safe way to pack Vinyl Records ? ( it is super heavy by the way - most of them are 180gms :) )
2) Do i need to declare the Vinyls to the customs ( since most of them are old vinyls and i am coming in TR, my guess is it will not be taxed )

Any advice in transporting vinyls is welcome !

Thanks,
Karthik.
80+ kilos is a lot of weight. One of my friends is travelling to US (very close to DC) and may return by mid March. He "may" agree to carry part of your collection to Bangalore. PM me for details if you are interested, I can share his contact details.

Last edited:
Under TR, I got back my entire 45 inch LCD TV, HT system (onky avr plus 2 tower speakers, plus 4 bookshelf speakers, sub and 2 center channel speakers) in 2010 along with CD's, DVD's , some Blurays and maybe 20-30 vinyls. I also had a blu ray player.

Booked a 20ft container and filled it more than half with a lot of stuff

Paid 20k in customs. Always wise to have a good relocation company.

-------------------- Update -----------------------

Hi Everybody,

After 5 months wait (due to corona virus and travel ban), my consignments reached home. I am glad that, all my vinyl records reached home safely.

The joy of hooking up the Vinyl rig to the amp and listening is "BLISS".

Thanks all !

Cheers,
Karthik.

Back