Help needed Denon avr 2113...Red light blinking

argurpreet321

Hey guys
Need some help here...I have a denon avr 2113. On pressing power, it starts up for 2 seconds then switches off and a red light starts blinking rapidly. Also it does not reset as per the procedure in the manual. The surprising thing is that on trying the power button 3-4 times it switches on and starts working normally. From my past experience, it’s not overheating as it happens on startup plus the blinking is rapid. Also nothing changed in my setup so a speaker wire being short looks less probable. I know its going into protection mode but what is triggering it? Maybe DC current flowing through somewhere???
For background purposes, I would like to inform that the center channel output stopped working on the avr a few months back. Since then I plugged the center speaker to surround back and have been using it in multi channel mode. I visited Pro fx service in Nehru place, Delhi for this but could not resolve the issue. Any referral regarding a technician who can have a look in south Delhi would also be welcome.Would like to avoid Pro Fx.
Any idea what could be the cause?

Have you already done this - your post does not indicate
1. unplug all speaker wires, input connections and test - if the issue persists then the problem is internal to the AVR
2. If the problem is internal to the avr - Check power supply & grounding - see if there is any earth leakage (Phase to ground should show full voltage i.e. 220v ac and neutral to earth should show ideally zero volts

1. unplug all speaker wires, input connections and test - if the issue persists then the problem is internal to the AVR
2. If the problem is internal to the avr - Check power supply & grounding - see if there is any earth leakage (Phase to ground should show full voltage i.e. 220v ac and neutral to earth should show ideally zero volts
Yes, I did unplug everything and checked. Issue persists. My problem is I have no idea or experience to check the power supply and grounding. Can I guide my normal electrician to do it for me? Also if I do manage it somehow, is the earth leakage fault easily rectifiable?

Most AVR have two pins. how earthing will matter?

Yes, I did unplug everything and checked. Issue persists. My problem is I have no idea or experience to check the power supply and grounding. Can I guide my normal electrician to do it for me? Also if I do manage it somehow, is the earth leakage fault easily rectifiable?
The voltages can be measured with a voltmeter / multimeter by someone who knows how to do it. Do not attempt on your own.
If you have a tester and know how to check safely, just touch the tester to the metal body of the AVR - the light should not glow on the tester.
If it does and if your avr has a two pin power plug, you can replug it in the reverse and check if the body has an electrical leak.

Most AVR have two pins. how earthing will matter?
I do not recall the exact reason given by an experienced AV technician - something to do with the neutral not being at zero/reference voltage is the vague recollection.
The AVR itself may not have a three pin plug, but the power source (UPS/Servo) may have one.

I do not recall the exact reason given by an experienced AV technician - something to do with the neutral not being at zero/reference voltage is the vague recollection.
The AVR itself may not have a three pin plug, but the power source (UPS/Servo) may have one.

Earth to neutral voltage should be less than 5V. Any thing more is an earthing problem. Since AVR power cord has two pins means all the power supplies are galvanically isolated by transformer, eartling has zero effect on this.

Is your amp purchased in india ?
Is the issue there when connected to speakers?. then issue may be with the connection . Make sure to match the polarity of the speaker connections with amp.
Is the issue there when speakers are not connected? . Then issue may be with power supply . Also check removing all input source connections and check. If any of input source connections have issue ..its possible for the amp to trip (remove antenna also if connected).

Check with only Amp removing all amp connections.

check with different power supply , or if possible check from your neighbors house or your friends house whether the issue persists.

If the issue persists then get it serviced from authorized service center.

I think most important thing here is to note that the center channel stopped working months back.

So the problem was there at that time and since then has been in AVR.

Most simple conculsion could be that the output stage has smoked.

Since it has discrete power stages. A gone power stage is bound to keep the unit under protection to avoid blowing things further.

I can't fathom how it kept running even after center channel was gone.

Back