Help needed from audiophiles to choose correct receiver for Polk Audio

saikatbiswas82

Hi All,
I am a new joinee to Hi-Fi Vision. I need some real help from you guys to set up my first home theater.
I have been reading through most of the posts of my interest here. Thanks to hifivision.com and all members for your valuable inputs/experience which helped

me a lot to select my first set of speakers.
After a long online study I've decided to go ahead with Polk Audio.

Here goes my preference:
1. Front speakers - Polk Audio - TSi 300
2. Surround speakers - Polk Audio - TSi 100
3. Center channel - Polk Audio - CS10
4. Subwoofer - Polk Audio - PSW 110

No I am a bit confused :confused: while selecting the right A/V receiver for my setup. I've shortlisted thw following two receivers:

Yamaha RX V471
&
Denon AVR 1612

Usage of this home theater would include mostly for watching movies(50%), listening to music(20%) and playing computer games(30%).
I would like to connect my PC to receiver via HDMI and receiver to Sony Bravia via HDMI.
Please consider the option for PC and TV connectivity as well. My player would be the DVD/Blu Ray player of my PC only.

As per ProFX shop, Denon goes better with Polk Audio.
I've gone through all comparison reviews available online (including hifivision.com) between these two receivers.
Now after going through all the comparisons, I am feeling Yamaha 471 might be marginally better than Denon 1612.
One more thing, while doing my online research, I found the terms "bright" with yamaha and "worm" with denon. I think, I really don't have the ear to

distinguish this marginal difference.

So, I really need your help to decide which receiver to pick up. Please share your personal experience with Polk Audio (in case you auditioned or owned) and

a perfect receiver combination.

Yesterday something else also caught my attention. There is a combo offer going on in hifimart.com for "Jamo S606 HCS 3 5.0 Speaker System" and "Wharfedale Obsidian 600 Home Theatre Package".
Please suggest how these speakers are when compared to my shortlisted Polk Audio setup (keeping in mind that I need to buy a seperate sub for Jamo or Wharfedale).

In case you find the above Jamo or Wharfedale combination is better over Polk Audio system, then please suggest suitable receiver for the same as well.

I am egerly looking forward to hear from you guys.

P.S. My previous post got deleted so I am reposting it. Guys please bear with me.

Yamaha sounds a bit cleaner than Denon.Actually all 3 AVRs- Yamaha,Onkyo & Denon goes well with polk speakers.Now you have to select the features you need & sound which you prefer.

Yamaha sounds a bit cleaner than Denon.Actually all 3 AVRs- Yamaha,Onkyo & Denon goes well with polk speakers.Now you have to select the features you need & sound which you prefer.

Agree, Polk's are not known to be fussy speakers and pair well with most receivers.
I prefer the Yamaha sound as well over the Denon (Budget Segment AVR's)

I personally have auditioned few polk variants with both Denon/marantz & Yamaha

Polk TSi300, Rm705, RTi A5 & A7paired with denon 1912 & Yamaha Rx 1010

I feel all are pretty well synced but somehow preferred the Avantage 1010 over the Denon 1912 . Believe it or not.. I and another friend concluded that the 1912 was in someways heavy/loud on the speakers or may be a little bit bright..
(This could just be my prejudiced feeling )

Re: Help needed from audiophiles to choose correct receiver for Polk Audio/Jamo/Wharf

Friends,
Now coming to the second part of my query.
If you compare the Polk Audio setup (Tsi300+CS10+Tsi100) with "Jamo S606 HCS 3 5.0 Speaker System" and "Wharfedale Obsidian 600 Home Theatre Package" - what should be your opinion?

Please consider that I want same sub for all this 5.0 configuration.

-Thanks,
Saikat

I Vishal,
I am planning to get 5.1 at one go. I am just waiting for the votes from audiophiles for Polk Audio or Wharfedale or Jamo.

Then i'll recommend Tsi400 instead of Tsi300, rest will be ok, but then again it depends on the power output of the avr. may be denon 1612 will not do justice with tsi400. i haven't auditioned wharfedale obsidian and jamo. but i liked the quality of wharfedale diamond series. give it try and then decide.

Re: Help needed from audiophiles to choose correct receiver for Polk Audio/Jamo/Wharf

Friends,
If you compare the Polk Audio setup (Tsi300+CS10+Tsi100) with "Jamo S606 HCS 3 5.0 Speaker System" and "Wharfedale Obsidian 600 Home Theatre Package" - what should be your opinion?
Saikat

I have the tsi300+CS10 but with the polk owm3 surrounds. Check these out as well if you are going with polks.
Also for music tsi300 are just ok, have not heard tsi400 , so cannot comment.
The wharfedale might be better for music , if they are anything like the diamond series.

Best thing to do is audition and decide.

Then i'll recommend Tsi400 instead of Tsi300, rest will be ok, but then again it depends on the power output of the avr. may be denon 1612 will not do justice with tsi400. i haven't auditioned wharfedale obsidian and jamo. but i liked the quality of wharfedale diamond series. give it try and then decide.

Hi Vishal,
Could you please let me know which one you've auditioned from wharfedale diamond series? If possible could you please share the pricing details for the same?

Hi saikatbiswas82, I am jumping to responding to your first post without reading the whole thread, so I'm sorry if what I'm going to say has already been discussed.

You say that you have decided on Polk after an online research...have you heard them? If not I'd suggest you do. Nothing beats the actual experience of audition...no specs or reviews can replace that. There are a lot of products available in India and you would do well to at least check a few of them before making your choice.

For HT, may I also suggest PSB, Paradigm, Infinity, Mirage, Def Tech, Klipsch...in fact the list could go on...some of them may be over your budget but it would not harm you to experience them ;)

I haven't had any recent experience with Polk but going back 6 years, I found them to be too bright and harsh. They were paired with a Denon AVR at that time. The only one that I liked was RTi14 (IIRC).

The approach you are taking of selecting the speaker first and then the matching amp is the classic way of building your setup and the way to go! But please, do listen to other offerings and then decide.

My $0.02 (the way Rupee is going these days, its worth something :D )

I prefer denon 1612 over yamaha
I have polk tsi300 cs10 omw 3 ps110 and denon 1612
Polk speaker r loud and denon has warm sound perfect combination

Oddysey better than yamaha

Hi saikatbiswas82, I am jumping to responding to your first post without reading the whole thread, so I'm sorry if what I'm going to say has already been discussed.

You say that you have decided on Polk after an online research...have you heard them? If not I'd suggest you do. Nothing beats the actual experience of audition...no specs or reviews can replace that. There are a lot of products available in India and you would do well to at least check a few of them before making your choice. .........................

I agree with Soulforged very much ..saikatbiswas82.. All our opinions are as per our own listening experience ..... for instance I loved the melody of Klipsch+ Yamaha Aventage.. infact I liked it more that Klipsch+Denon 1912 .. dont know why... but thats just me... and I figure you should put your ears to work and let them guide you ...Me thinks the balls set into motion by the choices we gave you... now its up to YOU and your ears... to make that choice..!!! O yeah and the Aventage series has multiple point YPAO as a matter of fact .. :D

:cool: <My cent cuz thats all I know about music :p>

I have had Polk Tsi 400 with denon 1912. It does sound very nice. However, I always felt that the speakers could do much better with more powerful amp so I sold my Denon and went for HK AVR 460, there was a significant improvement. Now I have sold my HK and going for Naim 5i (Pure stereo setup )

Yes denon 1912 does sound very nice with Tsi 400. So, if you are going for Tsi 400 I would not recommend anything below Denon 1912. May be for Tsi 300 1612 is enough but I still recomment 1912 as minimum requirement for a quality listening experience. You should note that none of these models has pre-out, so in future if you want to add a power amp (Lets say when you upgrade your speakers) you cant.

Hi Vishal,
Could you please let me know which one you've auditioned from wharfedale diamond series? If possible could you please share the pricing details for the same?

It was wharfedale diamond 9.5 paired with marantz pm6003, priced around 40-45K (don't remember exactly). if you want to go with wharfedale, try to audition diamond 9 series, it sounds better than diamond 10.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back