help needed - Harman Kardon avr speakers

iamharishkm

Hi,

I have purchased Harman Kardon avr 146. Now looking for a matching pair of floorstanders. Can you guys please help me in this?

which is the best going speakers with Harman Kardon?

pls specify budget, room size, taste for music and whether you want Bookshelves or Floor standers. Please visit ::: JBL ::: for this ( in case you desire JBL speakers )

your question is very general and vague and maybe thats why there are no responses excet this one ( a fellow HK owner )

mpw

pls specify budget, room size, taste for music and whether you want Bookshelves or Floor standers. Please visit ::: JBL ::: for this ( in case you desire JBL speakers )

your question is very general and vague and maybe thats why there are no responses excet this one ( a fellow HK owner )

mpw

great.. my budget is 50,000 INR for 2 floorstanders.. bye the way hows your harman kardon performing.. for music and for movies?..

AVR 255 is good. easy to use.. i am planning to upgrade to FS too. But my budget is about 30K.

You could look at the JBL ES80 which is priced at 45K in Mumbai. I havent heard very many FS except the Dali Concept 6 ( Rs 33k ) and Mission M34 ( Rs 18k ). BTW, please check if the AVR 146 can drive big FS else it may be better to go for smaller BS.

In this forum, there are not many users of HK.

have you auditioned any other speaker ?

mpw

There are posts on how the HK sounds. Please search for them. The AVR is good for Jazz, Rock and 'American' genres. Not so good for classical and vocals because it is punchy, not delicate. JBLs are a great match for the HK (same parent company, from memory) and for the afore mentioned music genres. HK is also generally good for movies, again because of it's punchy nature.

AVR 255 is good. easy to use.. i am planning to upgrade to FS too. But my budget is about 30K.

You could look at the JBL ES80 which is priced at 45K in Mumbai. I havent heard very many FS except the Dali Concept 6 ( Rs 33k ) and Mission M34 ( Rs 18k ). BTW, please check if the AVR 146 can drive big FS else it may be better to go for smaller BS.

In this forum, there are not many users of HK.

have you auditioned any other speaker ?

mpw

yes.. i did a demo.. i went to audio planet, koramangala, for selecting a floorstander..

there i met a guy named Palani, who is very helpful (He made me an audiophile in 2 hours
.. he he.. I think some of our friends here also know him).. after hearing all the demos i felt like i need to buy a 2 channel cambridge audio amp for the music purpose.. :) my Harman Kardon wont help there..

So this is my final conclusion..

For movies - Harman Kardon is great device paired with JBL speakers (I am using a budget 5.1 jbl speakers set)

For music - Buy buy buy a Cambridge audio 2 channel amp :).. they sound awsome.. don't forget to pair it with a nice floorstanders.. according to me the best match is Mordaut Short Mezzo 8 floorstanders, 58K, but worth the money.. so detailed and crip.. i just fell in love with it... and for the looks its a premium..

i did took demo of Wharfedales also there (first ever exp. with Wharfes)... but to my surprise i dont like them.. little harsh compared to the Mordaut Short...

so for music.. all the way.. Cambridge audio and Mordaunt Short :)

Last edited:
one addition to my above comment..

so far i have auditioned Jamo, Polk Audio, Wharfedale, Klipsch, yamaha and Mordaunt Short speakers... and the award goes to Mordaut Short.. all the way!

Actoally, my budget for fronts is about 27K only. No money for CA amps etc.. and my music listening sessions are only about 7 hours a month + 3 movies a month.

U know where i could get the JBL ES30 bookshelves ( not aval in mumbai ) or maybe the Mezzo 2 bookshelves ?

mpw

mezzo 8 for 58k - is that correct?

regards

yes.. i did a demo.. i went to audio planet, koramangala, for selecting a floorstander..

there i met a guy named Palani, who is very helpful (He made me an audiophile in 2 hours
.. he he.. I think some of our friends here also know him).. after hearing all the demos i felt like i need to buy a 2 channel cambridge audio amp for the music purpose.. :) my Harman Kardon wont help there..

So this is my final conclusion..

For movies - Harman Kardon is great device paired with JBL speakers (I am using a budget 5.1 jbl speakers set)

For music - Buy buy buy a Cambridge audio 2 channel amp :).. they sound awsome.. don't forget to pair it with a nice floorstanders.. according to me the best match is Mordaut Short Mezzo 8 floorstanders, 58K, but worth the money.. so detailed and crip.. i just fell in love with it... and for the looks its a premium..

i did took demo of Wharfedales also there (first ever exp. with Wharfes)... but to my surprise i dont like them.. little harsh compared to the Mordaut Short...

so for music.. all the way.. Cambridge audio and Mordaunt Short :)

Mezzo 8 prices are higher. Where it is available @ 58k a pair???

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back