Help needed in choosing first non-CRT TV

I would also recommend Panasonic and LG LCD LED panel TVs, I have used them and they are quite good in terms of picture quality and sound.
I have noticed that Samsung and Sony have enhanced colours that make the pictures more vivid and brightly coloured compared to other brands. Some people like it and some do not so please check it for yourself.
I also know of someone who owned a Onida 42 inch TV that became faulty within a year due to some IC fault, it took them almost a year and half to get it fixed.
I would also suggest you to keep away from "Smart TVs", you can instead get the non smart counterpart and save the money to get some media streamers.

40/42" and Plasma makes better sense keeping the present space in our hall in mind.
Have not been able to check out the H4900 plasma, and Philips, Videocon models I have in mind.
Hope to get to see them before I decide. Few owners here have recommended the 50" version of the H4900 and I am hoping all the goodness of it will be there in the smaller version too :)

Got to see the 43" & 50" H4900s. The PQ is 'smoother' than adjacent LEDs on display... however the image is much paler /duller/ less bright in comparison.

I know the home viewing scenario is different. Key members of the home cabinet have yet to see the showroom demo. I won't be too surprised if the brighter display LEDs get a higher vote...

After measuring, it does seem like the 43" would be optimal.

Models that are in similar price range and size are the

LG 42PN4500
Panasonic TH-42A410D

Has anyone done a comparative of these? Should I just simply stick with the H4900?

Am going to keep this thread active until the installation. Do keep the comments and suggestions coming.

Thanks!

Got to do another quick demo yesterday with key home members present. The 51H4900 was there alongside 50" LEDs, and the lower brightness level was stark.

I guess at homes all the TVs (including LEDs) will be at lower brightness levels...?

Coming back home, the PQ of our 29" flat screen Panny (SD channels) seems better than all LEDs, and it is brighter than the plasma.

Also, the viewing distance varies from 7 to 10 ft. Not happy with the PQ of 40" LEDs at 7ft.

The jury is thus undecided.

For SD channel viewing, will a new TV will actually result in better experience, just because it is bigger?!

Help!

Curious about what your final pick will be. I was also in the same state and then dropped plasma. Now undecided between 50as610d, 48w600b, 48h5500.

Yes, I do agree my CRT has better overall viewing experience for SD channels compared to LEDs. Of course I'm seeing some ghosting in action scenes now after switching to dish from cable even though PQ has improved.

Hi
As pointed by you that the crt you own is better than what you saw in the showroom is absolutely right. Nothing can beat a crt in SD even today. So if you have no issues with it please do not dispose that off. It is better to wait for 2 more months as newer models are about to hit the markets across all the brands.
Regarding Plasma IMO had you planned it two years back it would had been wise. Now plasma is sunset and in coming days you won't get any spares either. Panasonic has stopped its PDP business and samsung set to follow the trend.
Go for LED as this technology has evolved and come of age. Regarding ghosting in images..what I believe if you switch off all the picture enhancements like motion interpolation and noise corrections these would go away. These all are part of enhancement artifacts.

Thanks guys. Still not decided.

Looking forward to special Pongal prices - should be announced today/tomorrow if any.
The next discount 'sale' would be in the second half of the year.
Don't know if I can/will hold on for more months... more than anything it would involve another round of visits to showrooms etc.

The CRT will not be given as exchange, but used within the family :)

The pendulum swung a bit last few days. Moved towards 46-48 inchers (read LED) which took the budget higher in the 75-80k range.
It swung back to the ~50k range.
I guess in this range and 40-43 inchers, my initial short list still holds. I have not been able to see the Philips anywhere.
Very few Toshibas visible, and the salesguys in the multibrand showroom dont seem keen to show them.
It thus seems to be
1. Samsung 43H4900 109 cm (43) Plasma
2. Philips 40PFL4958 101 cm (40) LED

Any other strong recommendation to push either of these aside?

The pendulum swung a bit last few days. Moved towards 46-48 inchers (read LED) which took the budget higher in the 75-80k range.
It swung back to the ~50k range.
I guess in this range and 40-43 inchers, my initial short list still holds. I have not been able to see the Philips anywhere.
Very few Toshibas visible, and the salesguys in the multibrand showroom dont seem keen to show them.
It thus seems to be
1. Samsung 43H4900 109 cm (43) Plasma
2. Philips 40PFL4958 101 cm (40) LED

Any other strong recommendation to push either of these aside?

--------------------------------------------------------------
If you want to go for plasma, I'd suggest this LG model Buy LG 42PN4500 106 cm (42) Plasma TV Online at best Prices In India
It's got very good reviews and price is also tempting. Moreover, if you exchange it with your old TV, you'll get it for less than 30K !:clapping:
You may follow this thread
http://www.hifivision.com/television/46130-budget-plasma-lg-42pn4500-review.html

Last edited:
@Amitkg

yes, this too is/was on my radar.

I called the LG 1800xxxx number and asked about the extended warranty pricing. After a looong wait, I was told it would be Rs. 5000/ per year, extendable up to max 3 years; 15000/- for 3 years! :rolleyes:

This is significantly higher (and quite ridiculous) compared to what other members have paid in the recent months.

I can think of few things:
1. Perhaps they have increased the prices from 2015, as the model is being phased out...?
2. The 1800xxx guy did not have the right info. I should cross check with the local service centre

Anyone purchased recently - please share your experience.

I plan to cross-post this on the LG4500 thread as well, if that is alright.

--------------------------------------------------------------
If you want to go for plasma, I'd suggest this LG model Buy LG 42PN4500 106 cm (42) Plasma TV Online at best Prices In India
It's got very good reviews and price is also tempting. Moreover, if you exchange it with your old TV, you'll get it for less than 30K !:clapping:
You may follow this thread
http://www.hifivision.com/television/46130-budget-plasma-lg-42pn4500-review.html

Advise: Go for the biggest one that you can afford (only mainline branded)
Suggestion: Samsung 48H6400 ( 58K with seller warranty) - I own this and great PQ and features. 98is MRP with bill, but its a huge difference in price - both will give only 1yr warranty. I don't think that you may need to shell out more than 20K even if you want to some repair later.. EOD, - its your money, your sleep! choose wisely.

Hi gibikote,
I'm also looking to my replace my ancient crt tv and have been looking through various models for the past week.
The samsung model which I saw (H5100) had a horrible motion blur and was offered for 49k after a lot of talking. Then I moved onto lg 5610 and 5820 they looked much better than samsung models in the same range. I have bargained the 5820 down to 50k.

Sharp 355m was another model i checked, which I think is much older than equivalent models from other brands. It is available at around 42k.

back from Pongal vacations and need to re-visit the project.

noblejose: are you suggesting item with seller warranty on ebay? Nearest city with such deal is Chennai. I would need to wait for service (if required); not sure how reliable this would be.

redcloak: if you are getting the "5820" at 50k - thats a steal... it is 67+ online

back from Pongal vacations and need to re-visit the project.

noblejose: are you suggesting item with seller warranty on ebay? Nearest city with such deal is Chennai. I would need to wait for service (if required); not sure how reliable this would be.

redcloak: if you are getting the "5820" at 50k - thats a steal... it is 67+ online

I bought it on Friday for 49k.:eek:hyeah:

Hi friends.
Almost as good as decided on the Samsung 43H4900.

Would like to hear experience from anyone from a small tier three city who has bought a TV or similar large electronic/white good product online (i.e. Flipkart). The difference is about Rs. 2000

Thanks for all the inputs so far.

Hi friends.
Almost as good as decided on the Samsung 43H4900.

Would like to hear experience from anyone from a small tier three city who has bought a TV or similar large electronic/white good product online (i.e. Flipkart). The difference is about Rs. 2000

Thanks for all the inputs so far.

I personally don't trust flipkart with the larger items. I had to wait for nearly a month to get a laptop they shipped with a keyboard defect to get replaced. I even had a book arrive dog eared. :mad:

Buy the TV from your local store, even if you pay a little extra money it is worth the peace of mind.

Hi everyone.

The viewing distance varies between 7 to 15 feet (TV is at the corner and seating is 'L' shaped in front).

Will a 50" be too big for the person sitting 7 feet away? Will it result in blurring/jarring?

Should I seriously consider smaller size (Samsung H4900, LG 4500)?

If 50" plasma is ok at the distance, will HD Ready (LG 4500, Samsung 4900) be causing poorer experience and should I necessarily think of full HD (LG 6600 or Samsung 5100)?

I will be watching SD channels (regional, kids cartoons, English news).

THANKS!!

After much to-and-fro, visits to the showroom, re-reading of posts within this forum, private messages to many here (serious thanks guys!), decided on the Samsung 43" H4900.
Decision was based on size we considered we wanted, fact that we watch mainly SD channels, multiple demos and budget.
Bought it at the "best price" from the local distributor.
It has been delivered and installed this afternoon.
Daughter is watching Pokemon on Hungama channel, and happy. Two more persons (other than self) to give it the thumbs up :)

Thanks to all!

After much to-and-fro, visits to the showroom, re-reading of posts within this forum, private messages to many here (serious thanks guys!), decided on the Samsung 43" H4900.
Decision was based on size we considered we wanted, fact that we watch mainly SD channels, multiple demos and budget.
Bought it at the "best price" from the local distributor.
It has been delivered and installed this afternoon.
Daughter is watching Pokemon on Hungama channel, and happy. Two more persons (other than self) to give it the thumbs up :)

Thanks to all!

You are happy,, that's what it takes

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back