Help needed in selecting soundcard

AMITNOIDA

Hi
I am looking for a decent soundcard for my PC to be used as source for:

Music 50%
Movie 30%
Gaming 20%

My immediate plan is to purchase soundcard and then after sometimes purchase speakers (2.1 or 2.0) and amplifier (I am not in favour of powered speakers).

I have shortlisted two Asus Xonar soundcards - Essence STX and D2X. Both are PCI Ex-1 cards and my Mobo (BioStar TPower I45) has spare slot.

Essence STX is 2.0 channel card with headphone amp. Although I have Sennheiser HD515 headphone (which I use for listening my worldspace radio), I will listen the PC music through speakers mainly.

As I have heard, Essence STX has latest and improved driver that D2X. But D2X support 5.1 channel and in that way has future expandability from 2.1 system to 5.1 system.

I have got offer for (a) 1 month old D2X card at 6.7K and (b) new Essence STX at around 7.5K. I am in dilemma, can you guys please help me in taking final decision?

Thanks
Amit

Hi
I am looking for a decent soundcard for my PC to be used as source for:

Music 50%
Movie 30%
Gaming 20%

My immediate plan is to purchase soundcard and then after sometimes purchase speakers (2.1 or 2.0) and amplifier (I am not in favour of powered speakers).

I have shortlisted two Asus Xonar soundcards - Essence STX and D2X. Both are PCI Ex-1 cards and my Mobo (BioStar TPower I45) has spare slot.

Essence STX is 2.0 channel card with headphone amp. Although I have Sennheiser HD515 headphone (which I use for listening my worldspace radio), I will listen the PC music through speakers mainly.

As I have heard, Essence STX has latest and improved driver that D2X. But D2X support 5.1 channel and in that way has future expandability from 2.1 system to 5.1 system.

I have got offer for (a) 1 month old D2X card at 6.7K and (b) new Essence STX at around 7.5K. I am in dilemma, can you guys please help me in taking final decision?

Thanks
Amit

well definetly the essence STX,but if u want the 5.1 option then obvioulsy the D2x,but if u can wait there is a new model coming up called the Essence ST its supports 7.1 and as the same equal audio components of the STX,according to previews of new Essence ST from a popular review site they said
This card has some serious sound quality for headphones and speakers systems. The card has a similar sonic flavor presented by the Essence STX however, there is something a little different about the response. The ST has a crystal clear ultra detailed sound combined with warmth and articulation for bass, mids and high frequencies alike. This card was auditioned for those who came around and all were impressed with the sonic prowess of the upcoming Essence ST

Last edited:
well definetly the essence STX,but if u want the 5.1 option then obvioulsy the D2x,but if u cant wait there is a new model coming up called the Essence ST its supports 7.1 and as the same equal audio components of the STX,according to previews of new Essence ST from a popular review site they said

Any idea when it's out? Price?

Thanks Adder for the info about Essence ST. I am not in hurry, I can wait. Presently somehow managing with LCD Monitor speakers and onboard audio. Looking for soundcard and also looking paralelly for ampli+speaker combo.

BTW how the B&W DM602 speakers (used one and offered price is Rs. 22.5K) will be for my 165 sqft bedroom?

Thanks

Amit

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back