Help Needed in setting up Home theater.

ravi_buz

Hey Guys,

I have no idea and really dont know where to start. I want to set up a home theater system and saw this product by LG (link). But my friends were suggesting me to get Onkyo, Yamaha A/V receiver as they are much much bettery. When i started looking at the options they are really making no sense to me. Can someone help me out with this.

I dont want to make any huge initial investments but would like to gradually upgrade each component.

any guidance response is appreciated!

hi ravi,
even im in the process of setting up a home theater, im no audio guru, just another guy who is trying to explore the world of hifi audio, like your friends told you you can get an avr and get 2 bookshelves, for the time being, since you are planning to upgrade gradually, i would recommend to go for an avr avr's are available from 25k onwards, decent pair of bookshelves would cost you 15k and that would give you a stereo setup or you could go for the andrew jones spfs 52 floor standers(20K) if you are after towers i have not listened to them but they are highly rated, like most of the other members told me auditioning is the best way to get the best of what you want, because at the end of the day you are paying and you are the one listening to it

Sujith

Ravi,

Please mention the budget, room size, preferences, etc. The FMs will be able to help in a better way if these detail is made available. The HT setup can range from few thousand to several lacs of rupees.

Ravi,

Please mention the budget, room size, preferences, etc. The FMs will be able to help in a better way if these detail is made available. The HT setup can range from few thousand to several lacs of rupees.

Forgot that.So this Room/Hall is about 20 Feet long and about 10 feet wide. Distance between TV and couch is about 15 Feet. I currently have and Xbox, Rpi, 42' TV (DLNA), Set top box , Chromecast and another XBMC box. And if i can plug all these then it will be awesome.

Other than that I have no idea where to begin, if i need to buy some LG/Sony home theather that they are selling or get AV receiver and set up my own Home Theater.

Currently I am ready to spend upto 50k. I know that is not much. But most of the AV Receivers that i saw are 30-40K.

Edit - Currently I have a terrible setup. I used 2 splinters to split 1 3.5mm jack in my tv to 3 3.5mm and then connected my sub-woofer and 5 speakers that i got with a old dvd players :D. Need to get rid of it fast.

Last edited:
Forgot that.So this Room/Hall is about 20 Feet long and about 10 feet wide. Distance between TV and couch is about 15 Feet. I currently have and Xbox, Rpi, 42' TV (DLNA), Set top box , Chromecast and another XBMC box. And if i can plug all these then it will be awesome.

Other than that I have no idea where to begin, if i need to buy some LG/Sony home theather that they are selling or get AV receiver and set up my own Home Theater.

Currently I am ready to spend upto 50k. I know that is not much. But most of the AV Receivers that i saw are 30-40K.

Edit - Currently I have a terrible setup. I used 2 splinters to split 1 3.5mm jack in my tv to 3 3.5mm and then connected my sub-woofer and 5 speakers that i got with a old dvd players :D. Need to get rid of it fast.

Get a good receiver for under 30K. And get a good pair of fronts. Also what you cant do is get a good Onkyo/Yamaha. Probably the YHT299. And then upgrade speakers if you want. The current ones are good enough though. You could also check the Reliance Store. Last time I went they had a Marantz Receiver and BA 5.1 for around 49.

Ravi,

Get a good receiver for under 30K. And get a good pair of fronts. Also what you cant do is get a good Onkyo/Yamaha. Probably the YHT299. And then upgrade speakers if you want. The current ones are good enough though. You could also check the Reliance Store. Last time I went they had a Marantz Receiver and BA 5.1 for around 49.

Can you list of the AR for me? I will check them all out. Also when you said "Also what you cant do is get a good Onkyo/Yamaha." I assume you meant i can do. Btw what are all the brands i should consider? Onkyo, Yamaha are the only once i know off.

Other brands: Marantz / Pioneer/ Harmon Kardon

I am totally stumped. Wanted to get an idea before i went searching. Onkyo does not give compare or price option in their website. Your suggestion about Yamaha YHT299 seems to be better among their HT option. Audio receivers seems to be more expensive than the whole home theater set up. :eek:

Donno what to do. If you can give me a list of models to look for I will have a direction. I think a good receiver and 2 or 2.1 setup will be good for me now. Later i would like to make it a 5.1 or 71 (it will be great if i can use those 2 speakers when expending the setup).

Tall boys preferred. :signthankspin::signthankspin:

If your looking for within 50K, the best would be to start of with an audition from a PIONEER AVR and the QAcoustics bookshelf. you should be able to find demos for the same easily in Hyderabad

Cheers

What is your content (that you plan to watch)?

The mid-level HTIBs from Onkyo and Yamaha perform very well for their limited budgets so check them out too.

For auditions, Audio People is good. Also, visit Onkyo (after HPS Begumpet).

PS - A lot will depend on your budget for the future and how much you want to invest/upgrade but I don't always agree with the sentiments of buying separates and adding/upgrading a component at a time. For your room dimensions and depending on what content you will be watching a HTIB will more than suffice.

PS PS - For starters folks will tell you to buy 2 floor standers and an AVR and then upgrade. Totally wrong IMHO. In a HT setup the center speaker is the most important component (it delivers more than 50-60% of the content) and its always a BS or a satellite (at least I've never seen a FS in any setup)... and I've seen (heard) 100% satellite setups that will kill most FS for home theater/movie content.

So start with your budget and how much you plan to invest/upgrade in the future and more importantly what will be your content?

What is your content (that you plan to watch)?

The mid-level HTIBs from Onkyo and Yamaha perform very well for their limited budgets so check them out too.

For auditions, Audio People is good. Also, visit Onkyo (after HPS Begumpet).

PS - A lot will depend on your budget for the future and how much you want to invest/upgrade but I don't always agree with the sentiments of buying separates and adding/upgrading a component at a time. For your room dimensions and depending on what content you will be watching a HTIB will more than suffice.

PS PS - For starters folks will tell you to buy 2 floor standers and an AVR and then upgrade. Totally wrong IMHO. In a HT setup the center speaker is the most important component (it delivers more than 50-60% of the content) and its always a BS or a satellite (at least I've never seen a FS in any setup)... and I've seen (heard) 100% satellite setups that will kill most FS for home theater/movie content.

So start with your budget and how much you plan to invest/upgrade in the future and more importantly what will be your content?

Budget is <50K. YHT 299 is what a lot of people are suggesting. And i read audio people and they dont seem to have many brands that i know off. I always wanted a Tall Boy, sad that most of the HT dont have it.

Edit- Mostly my contents will be movies downloaded via torrent or D2H (HD).

Last edited:
Back