Help needed on weird Excitel broadband issue

arnprasad

Hi all

as I have posted in my previous thread - I wanted to go for Excitel as they offering twice the speed of Hathway at half the price. Before committing for a whole year - which gives me the best bang for the buck - I wanted to test it for a month. Its been 25 days now and I have a peculiar problem. First 10-12 days seemed fine without any issue and after that i have noticed there is some kind of throttling happening every few hours. when I run the speedtest - it shows anything from 2 to 12 mbps and before completing the full test gives an error message. The resolution is simple - I just have to turn off and on and then its back to 300 mbps. In my area, it is my local cable who has the franchisee and every time I whatsapp him the speedtest error message - he responds immediately and tries to troubleshoot. So far he has changed something at his end, says he changed the fibre and inside my house - he has changed the router three times - but the error remains exactly the same.

He uses a TPON fibre modem/router which only has two ethernet posts due to which I had to buy a TP link 8 port extender. The problem is definitely not with this extender as even a PC directly connected to the Excitel router also has the same problem.

Any telecom experts on this forum who can understand and clarify this weird situation. One of the issues I thought could be reason is that I got too many gadgets accessing the internet. I have around 16-17 sonoff points where I use voice commands to turn off/on lights and fans. I have got 5 Echo dots/google mins, one WD EX 2 NAS server and three computers connected via LAN plus plenty of phones and tablets. I never have any issues with these on Hathway. In fact the last one month has been a parallel connection in my house (it was the last month of my Hathway prepaid and one month of Excitel). Time and again due to Excitel issues, I had to go back to Hathway to keep things running. Does Excitel or its router have some kind of limit on number of gadgets that can access internet that ACT and Hathway doesnt? Even if this is the case how come a switch off and on solves the issue?

Also sometimes I have noticed that when PCs are on, mobiles struggle to connect to wifi (stuck at obtaining IP address stage) and vice versa

This is my previous thread on limited ethernet ports.

My Hathway ended today and one month Excitel will end in another 3-4 days. As it is, part of my expected savings from switching to Excitel has been spent buying this 8 port router. If I decide to continue with Hathway, then it is zero savings plus expenses on the extender!! :(

Hi.
Airtel they have post paid plan of Rs 1999.
It's include 230 mbps speed net plus 1000 Gb per month/ unlimited.

3 post paid Existing number can be Port.

Xtream box with 500 Rs worth of channel /Dth .

One land line free.
Monthly around 2400 .inclusive of tax.
Pls try in your city.

Hi all

as I have posted in my previous thread - I wanted to go for Excitel as they offering twice the speed of Hathway at half the price. Before committing for a whole year - which gives me the best bang for the buck - I wanted to test it for a month. Its been 25 days now and I have a peculiar problem. First 10-12 days seemed fine without any issue and after that i have noticed there is some kind of throttling happening every few hours. when I run the speedtest - it shows anything from 2 to 12 mbps and before completing the full test gives an error message. The resolution is simple - I just have to turn off and on and then its back to 300 mbps. In my area, it is my local cable who has the franchisee and every time I whatsapp him the speedtest error message - he responds immediately and tries to troubleshoot. So far he has changed something at his end, says he changed the fibre and inside my house - he has changed the router three times - but the error remains exactly the same.

He uses a TPON fibre modem/router which only has two ethernet posts due to which I had to buy a TP link 8 port extender. The problem is definitely not with this extender as even a PC directly connected to the Excitel router also has the same problem.

Any telecom experts on this forum who can understand and clarify this weird situation. One of the issues I thought could be reason is that I got too many gadgets accessing the internet. I have around 16-17 sonoff points where I use voice commands to turn off/on lights and fans. I have got 5 Echo dots/google mins, one WD EX 2 NAS server and three computers connected via LAN plus plenty of phones and tablets. I never have any issues with these on Hathway. In fact the last one month has been a parallel connection in my house (it was the last month of my Hathway prepaid and one month of Excitel). Time and again due to Excitel issues, I had to go back to Hathway to keep things running. Does Excitel or its router have some kind of limit on number of gadgets that can access internet that ACT and Hathway doesnt? Even if this is the case how come a switch off and on solves the issue?

Also sometimes I have noticed that when PCs are on, mobiles struggle to connect to wifi (stuck at obtaining IP address stage) and vice versa

This is my previous thread on limited ethernet ports.

My Hathway ended today and one month Excitel will end in another 3-4 days. As it is, part of my expected savings from switching to Excitel has been spent buying this 8 port router. If I decide to continue with Hathway, then it is zero savings plus expenses on the extender!! :(
I have a friend who has excitel. Ive never let him live it down because firstly, its called ‘excitel’ and secondly, theres one issue or the other that creeps up every now and then. Spend a little extra and get airtel.

Hi.
Airtel they have post paid plan of Rs 1999.
It's include 230 mbps speed net plus 1000 Gb per month/ unlimited.

3 post paid Existing number can be Port.

Xtream box with 500 Rs worth of channel /Dth .

One land line free.
Monthly around 2400 .inclusive of tax.
Pls try in your city.
Airtel is 1250 inclusive of taxes for 300mbps unlimited download.

I have Airtel and face the same problem- throttling of speed, and need to restart.
The technician says this will get sorted once the fibre optic cable is laid in my area.
Till then it’s 30-40 mbps (stability promised, but in reality frequent drops)
Not sure if any of the posts above have explained why this is happening. @mail2sumanth can you explain “shared bandwidth” to a non techie please? And if this is a reason is there a tech solution I can try at home or is changing the provider my only option?

I have Airtel and face the same problem- throttling of speed, and need to restart.
The technician says this will get sorted once the fibre optic cable is laid in my area.
Till then it’s 30-40 mbps (stability promised, but in reality frequent drops)
Not sure if any of the posts above have explained why this is happening. @mail2sumanth can you explain “shared bandwidth” to a non techie please? And if this is a reason is there a tech solution I can try at home or is changing the provider my only option?
It is not complicated to understand. It is is called contention Ratio (over subscription ratio). this is how local providers make profits. If they have 10 customers they give 10mbps each. this doesn’t mean that they will have 100mbps line in the backend. They might be having not more than 30mbps. They will over subscribe because everyone do not use 10mbps full bandwidth at the same time everytime. if they buy more bandwidth in the backend they over subscribe and reduce the plan price. It is a fine balance these guys keep monitoring. Now coming to the post, always opt for a standard provider like Airtel, JIO who can give you fiber to home. This is most reliable, local providers lay cables over the trees. every time there is a cut they rejoin it. for every rejoin there is a certain amount of optical loss. if the slicing is not done properly it will start packet loss and introduce delays. you can go till 1gpbs with out any issues. Next is Ethernet, ACT & Hathway in some areas still use ethernet to home. They will keep a box which will Convert optical to 6 to 8 Ethernet connections. This is ok To manage but Ethernet has physical limitations. Don’t go beyond 30 mbps in this model.

It is not complicated to understand. It is is called contention Ratio (over subscription ratio). this is how local providers make profits. If they have 10 customers they give 10mbps each. this doesn’t mean that they will have 100mbps line in the backend. They might be having not more than 30mbps. They will over subscribe because everyone do not use 10mbps full bandwidth at the same time everytime. if they buy more bandwidth in the backend they over subscribe and reduce the plan price. It is a fine balance these guys keep monitoring. Now coming to the post, always opt for a standard provider like Airtel, JIO who can give you fiber to home. This is most reliable, local providers lay cables over the trees. every time there is a cut they rejoin it. for every rejoin there is a certain amount of optical loss. if the slicing is not done properly it will start packet loss and introduce delays. you can go till 1gpbs with out any issues. Next is Ethernet, ACT & Hathway in some areas still use ethernet to home. They will keep a box which will Convert optical to 6 to 8 Ethernet connections. This is ok To manage but Ethernet has physical limitations. Don’t go beyond 30 mbps in this model.
Wow! Thanks for the peek into how the industry works! With the (limited) understanding I now have
i think I need to find out which “standard” provider can run a fibre optic cable to my house. At the moment Airtel (a standard provider) has only a Ethernet cable connection topping off at 30 mbps (with frequent drops)

Back