Help needed to connect JBL LSR308/230

gainil

Hi

Hope I am posting in the right forum, if not please guide.

I have got JBL LSR308/230 8" Two-Way Powered Studio Monitors pair without knowing their input requirements, now I want to listen to them using Laptop/Phone's 3.5mm output only. The ports available on the back side of it are "XLR INPUT" and "6 mm (¼") INPUT" (just reading from manual)

I do not have any AVR, Amplifier or other device which have above outputs, so after searching on the net found following devices, which I think (not sure) might work

1. XLR Male to 3.5mm TRS Male Cable Audio Adapter Cable Metal (Rs.399/-)
2. FiiO D03K Optical to Stereo Audio Converter (Rs.1590/-)
3. Behringer UM2 Audio Interface (Rs.3074/-)

Can someone tell which (cheapest) of these will suffice my purpose or is there any other way I can connect them and if option 2 or 3 then what cables will be required?

Thanks in advance

Thanks Tuff,

USB sound cards look good for getting started, this would solve playing from Laptop, but what would be required for playing from Phone or other 3.5mm output player?

Thanks

Thanks Tuff,

USB sound cards look good for getting started, this would solve playing from Laptop, but what would be required for playing from Phone or other 3.5mm output player?

Thanks
Best would to get a Bluetooth streamer or Chromecast audio to use for phone.

You have got a great speaker (JBL LSR 308), congratulations. I would recommend buying a USB DAC and connect your PC to speakers through USB DAC which would have 1/2" TRS out. I have JBL LSR 305 speakers, i have connected it to my PC through Focusrite 2i4 Sound Interface (for home studio recording purpose) it sounds amazing! If your purpose is just for listening to music, there are plenty of USB DACs out there in market.

in my opinion, without DAC, you will not be able to get the fullest potential of JBL LSR 308.

Thanks Ebenezer,

Yes! they are wonderful, I am not an avid music listener, just got them in a good offer.

At the moment I am using it on my laptop, connected directly using Hosa CMP153 Y Cable 1/8 Inch TRS to Dual 1/4 Inch TS Cable, they sounds awesome.

USB DAC might not be a good choice as I wish to use these speakers with my mobile devices as well, (iOS/Android - connecting them now gives a very horrible quality - cant explain)

Read about USB-DAC/Amp/Pre-amp - its all so confusing

Can someone suggest a device (which doesn't need a laptop) for the purpose?

Budget - 5K-10K - Lowest the better.

Would a headphone amp like Schiit - Fulla 2 ($99) do the job ?

Thanks

Thanks Ebenezer,

Yes! they are wonderful, I am not an avid music listener, just got them in a good offer.

At the moment I am using it on my laptop, connected directly using Hosa CMP153 Y Cable 1/8 Inch TRS to Dual 1/4 Inch TS Cable, they sounds awesome.

USB DAC might not be a good choice as I wish to use these speakers with my mobile devices as well, (iOS/Android - connecting them now gives a very horrible quality - cant explain)

Thanks
Get Chromecast audio.

Thanks Ebenezer,

Thanks

I read lot of good reviews about Allo Boss player (Boss DAC + Rasperry Pi3 headless Music player that can be controlled by your android /iOS device). Through this player you can play MP3, lossless audio formats (WAV / FLAC) etc..

Once you start listening to music with a good quality DAC, you cant listen without it :)

I would suggest you
You have got a great speaker (JBL LSR 308), congratulations. I would recommend buying a USB DAC and connect your PC to speakers through USB DAC which would have 1/2" TRS out. I have JBL LSR 305 speakers, i have connected it to my PC through Focusrite 2i4 Sound Interface (for home studio recording purpose) it sounds amazing! If your purpose is just for listening to music, there are plenty of USB DACs out there in market.

in my opinion, without DAC, you will not be able to get the fullest potential of JBL LSR 308.
please listen to what ebenezer told. You have got a friging awesome pair of studio monitors that once gave neck and neck competition to the studio monitors in excess of $1500. Please forget about connecting it to iphone or android and stream mp3s over it. Those are studio monitors and when you listen to it how it is supposed to be listened, you will be more than satisfied. Get a proper soundcard from focusrite or better, use good quality cables and nice connectors. Do minimum DIY acoustics. Place the speakers properly, going through the guides how to place studio monitors. Connect the sound card to your pc or android phone through usb and then play a nice quality audio, preferably 24 bit audio and thank me later.

The stereo imaging, sound stage is soo good. If properly placed, you can feel the sound coming from way off from the speaker. And the center image will be as sharp as pointing something with a laser.

Studio monitors are near field/ mid field mostly and they loose its purpose if used like a hifi system - place it in a part of a hall and play music. Monitors should be ear level and you should sit right infront of the setup, put everything down and listen to serious music. :)
Btw, once the usb sound card is connected to the laptop, you can still stream Audio to the laptops through Bluetooth and you can listen it on the monitor.

What was the price did you pay for the monitor?

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back