Help on Spotify Extreme quality streaming from LMS/SqueezeLite Player on RPi

swamytk

As you know I am experimenting RPi3B+ with different linux distros (mostly same SW stack of Logitech Media Server and SqueezeLite Player). I have tried piCorePlayer and max2play so far (yet to try moodeaudio; since Volumio does not offer Tidal streaming on free tier I left it out). Both OS I tried behave very similar. Tidal Hifi quality is awesome and plays seamlessly. Where as Spotify (through Spotty plugin) works fine upto 160kbps quality; with extreme quality 320kbps it struggles - buffer for every few seconds. I have raised this issue with Spotty plugin developer Michael.

I have tried every setting in Spotty plugin including File Formats enabling/disabling. No difference in behaviour.

In the mean time I would like to know your experience on Spotify streaming on this stack.
1. Are you able play Spotify at 320kbps through any such stack? Please let me know any suggestion.
2. If you do stream Spotify at 320kbps seamlessly, can you please share you system configuration as shown below:

My configuration:
HW: RPi3B+ Wifi or LAN + FX Audio DAC X6
piCorePlayer OS: piCorePlayer v6.1.0 | www v0009 | linux 4.19.122-pcpCore_v7 | piCore v10.3pCP | Squeezelite v1.9.6-1206-pCP | LMS v8.0.0 | Spotty: v4.2.0
max2play OS: max2play 2.52 | Logitech Media Server Version: 7.9.2 | Max2Play v1.0.2 based on v1.8.4-726 | Spotty: v4.2.0

It will help me and in turn developer to fix the issue if any.

Last edited:
Please have a try this https://github.com/dynobot/TinyCore-Sound-Adjustments . This is some OS level changes worth to try.

Moode Audio on my Pi4B 4G + Boss DAC works fine on 320kbps streaming over wifi, never had an hiccups....
Thanks a lot. I am yet to try Moode Audio, it looks like download is very very slow - I may end up building OS.

@premoddev
Did you get 320kbps streaming out of box or you had to do those kernel tweaks to get it?
Does your system use "Spotty plug-in" by Michael or is it something else? If so which plugin-in and version.

Till I download/build MoodeAudio your answers will be very helpful.

Sorry I didn't mention it, MoodeAudio uses spotify-connect and have to use Spotify app on your mobile or desktop device to stream to Moode. Though there is a setting to restrict the bit rate in Moode for Spotify, actual quality and other controls are done on Spotify app itself. It works like a remote control for Moode.

It all support out of the box, those fine tuning is on the OS level to set priorities for audio and some latency settings. You may get some quality improvements with this tweaking, not in big margin.. but still worth to try.

Sorry I didn't mention it, MoodeAudio uses spotify-connect and have to use Spotify app on your mobile or desktop device to stream to Moode. Though there is a setting to restrict the bit rate in Moode for Spotify, actual quality and other controls are done on Spotify app itself. It works like a remote control for Moode.
No, worries. In fact I prefer Spotify Connect (easy navigation). I am happy that it supports and works :)

I am able to play 320 kbps without any issue using Spotty plugin.
Hardware: Intel NUC

Thanks, let me give a try. Last year I tried Daphile on Intel NUC without Spotty plugin, it was ok. Due to this pandemic I was in need of another computer for kids online classes, converted it to a Desktop machine :cool: Time to get another basic x86 machine for experiments.
Most of these RPi based distros release often - so we users have different experience based on that specific release version. For me moodeaudio is highly unstable and slow where as piCorePlayer and max2play works fine. The only problem is Spotify 320kbps.

I have Spotify premium, so 320kbps streaming.
Allo Digione based on RPI4 does fine with Volumio OS.
Network connection is wired.

Hope this helps or is a datapoint for your expts.
Volumio 2.806
Spotify 2.0.2
Volumio Spotify Connect 1.0.3
Cheers,
Raghu

Thanks, let me give a try. Last year I tried Daphile on Intel NUC without Spotty plugin, it was ok. Due to this pandemic I was in need of another computer for kids online classes, converted it to a Desktop machine :cool: Time to get another basic x86 machine for experiments.
Most of these RPi based distros release often - so we users have different experience based on that specific release version. For me moodeaudio is highly unstable and slow where as piCorePlayer and max2play works fine. The only problem is Spotify 320kbps.

Lot of people including me having a different experience ( in a good way) with Moode Audio, not sure what happened to you. Could you please explain the issues you are experiencing with Moode. Btw, the Moode Audio forum is very active, some times you may get the answer directly from the founder and main developer Tim Curtis.

I hope you are on the latest version 6.7.1, mine is also on the same version but on rpi4B.

Could you please explain the issues you are experiencing with Moode. Btw, the Moode Audio forum is very active, some times you may get the answer directly from the founder and main developer Tim Curtis.

I hope you are on the latest version 6.7.1, mine is also on the same version but on rpi4B.
The major issue is 320kbps of Spotty - for which I am in a thread with its developer Michael.

My ultimate goal is to get both both Tidal (HiFi) and Spotify (Extreme - 320kbsp) to work at their best in one single distro. I just keep working with various distros and RPi3 / Intel NUC x86. Yet to get my RPi4 (2GB) delivered.....

So you are not able to get 320kbps Spotify working with RPi3B+ ? It's strange, there are lot of guys using Moode on same platform happily. I never tried tidal, but using bubbleupnp or similar app, you could get it working I guess.

Can you share me following data from your system? Do you have another media server machine or all in Daphile? It will help me a lot.
Daphile & LMS version: Settings -> Advanced Media Server Settings -> Information -> Logitech Media Server Status -> First line
Spotty plugin version: Settings -> Advanced Media Server Settings -> Advanced ->Spotty Spotify for Squeezebox -> Spotty Helper Application -> Full path and version
File Formats: Settings -> Advanced Media Server Settings -> Advanced -> File Types -> Spotty -> Settings of all file formats under Spotty (FLAC/FLAC/MP3/Ogg Vorbis/PCM/WAV)

Please have a try this https://github.com/dynobot/TinyCore-Sound-Adjustments . This is some OS level changes worth to try.

Moode Audio on my Pi4B 4G + Boss DAC works fine on 320kbps streaming over wifi, never had an hiccups....
Can you share me following data from your system? It will help me a lot.
Do you have another media server machine or both LMS and Player on same RPi4GB?
OS version: Main Page -> The footer of the pages has a long line of all about OS and player - this entire line
LMS version: LMS -> Configure LMS -> Information -> Logitech Media Server Status -> First line
Spotty plugin version: LMS -> Configure LMS -> Advanced ->Spotty Spotify for Squeezebox -> Spotty Helper Application -> Full path and version
File Formats: LMS -> Configure LMS -> Advanced -> File Types -> Spotty -> Settings of all file formats under Spotty (FLAC/FLAC/MP3/Ogg Vorbis/PCM/WAV)

Sorry I am not using PicorePlayer (or LMS/Squeezelite combo) anywhere... never tried also..

I have tried Volumio, MoodeAudio & RuneAudio on my Rpi4 and finally settled on MoodeAudio. MoodeAudio excells out of 3 in features (free) and stability. Sound quality is almost similar everywhere, as all these players use MPD. Sound quality over HDMI was awesome on RuneAudio, but didn't worked on others (Tried before I bought Boss DAC). Wifi was the bottleneck for me with RuneAudio, plus it's UI sometimes show hiccups.

Sorry I am not using PicorePlayer (or LMS/Squeezelite combo) anywhere... never tried also..

I have tried Volumio, MoodeAudio & RuneAudio on my Rpi4 and finally settled on MoodeAudio. MoodeAudio excells out of 3 in features (free) and stability. Sound quality is almost similar everywhere, as all these players use MPD.

Since you got Spotify 320kbps streaming working over wifi, please confirm your moode audio version number?

Can you share me following data from your system?
Do you have another media server machine or all in Daphile?
-> All in Daphile, External HDD connected to Daphile.

Daphile & LMS version: Settings -> Advanced Media Server Settings -> Information -> Logitech Media Server Status -> First line
Version.jpg

Spotty plugin version: Settings -> Advanced Media Server Settings -> Advanced ->Spotty Spotify for Squeezebox -> Spotty Helper Application -> Full path and version
Spotty Helper Application.jpg

File Formats: Settings -> Advanced Media Server Settings -> Advanced -> File Types -> Spotty -> Settings of all file formats under Spotty (FLAC/FLAC/MP3/Ogg Vorbis/PCM/WAV)

File Types.jpg

Do you have another media server machine or all in Daphile?
-> All in Daphile, External HDD connected to Daphile.

View attachment 48526

View attachment 48527

View attachment 48528
Thank a ton, @jigarpatel . It is helpful.

1. One major difference I find is that you use standard kernel where as I use daphile with real time kernel, it is worth to give try with standard kernel - let me do it.
2. Do you use Spotify connect feature or streaming through daphile client? Because you have enabled "Spotify connect" but also enabled "Don't announce Squeezebox players running in Spotify Connect mode in your network". Please clarify.

Thanks again.

Thank a ton, @jigarpatel . It is helpful.

2. Do you use Spotify connect feature or streaming through daphile client? Because you have enabled "Spotify connect" but also enabled "Don't announce Squeezebox players running in Spotify Connect mode in your network". Please clarify.

Thanks again.
I don't use Spotify connect, I find it's unreliable (sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, also playback is not smooth).
For Spotify connect I use CCA, however CCA also has it's own issues.
Hence I use Daphile client for playback.

Last edited:
Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back