Help please…Which speaker cable to use and where to buy…

argurpreet321

Hi guys

I am shifting from my 5.1 setup to 2.1. Getting a new Marantz Pm7000N to be used with my KEF Q500 speakers and wharfedale sw150 sub.

Need recommendations for speaker cable : max budget: 1000-1500 per metre. Can definitely consider lower cost than this too.

My dealer is offering Kimber Kable 8 PR at a cost of 600/- per foot. Anyone with experience with this cable and will it suit my above mentioned setup?

I wanted to buy Furutech Fs301 or Fs303. But have no idea where to get it from in Delhi NCR. Or online? Just needs to be genuine as a lot of
fakes going around. Any idea where to procure these from and are they good?

I saw Mogamis 3103 and 3104 on Hifimart. But read some bad reviews saying they are too warm or even dull sounding.

Any other ideas welcome please. Kindly help as I need these in the next 4-5 days. Thanks

Hi,
Congratulations on moving to a nice two channel set up.
A good quality cable will help and you have some choices within your indicated budget.
You may find a range of opinions and answers to your question if you research this topic online. Cable sceptics often use the term snake oil. It’s confusing but fun to explore and make up your mind on what works best in YOUR set up.

Your dealers offer of Kimber cables (8PR @ 600 per foot) works out to about 1800/ metre. This is not far from your budget and Kimber cables are well regarded in the home audio world and this model has been in continuos production for over 10 years it seems. It has good reviews too judging from a wuicj
Good to find out if he is offering them terminated (probably not) Maybe negotiate a bit?

On the other hand you could start with Amazon Basics cables or Finolex copper electrical cables (yes, good quality commercial electrical cables) highly recommended by some respected FMs. This is well within your budget. And over time you could try out other brands (borrow for trial) and upgrade if you feel like it. These are inexpensive and will relieve some of your self inflicted pressure of getting something within 4-5 days.

Enjoy the music!

My dealer is offering Kimber Kable 8 PR at a cost of 600/- per foot.
It's a very good cable at a decent price, have gone through every other possible speaker cables options from finolex 4 sqmm to AQ and Murthys, Kimber sounds best than most DIY options.
Go ahead with Kimber.

Furutech you can buy from bass and treble gurgaon. Furutech will be warm and detailed, mogami will be warm but not so detailed, kimber will be forward and detailed.

It's a very good cable at a decent price, have gone through every other possible speaker cables options from finolex 4 sqmm to AQ and Murthys, Kimber sounds best than most DIY options.
Go ahead with Kimber.
Hi, I see you are yourself using Kimber Ref cables. But is the 8 PR good enough at this price? Other option I am comparing is the Mogami 3103 terminated 3.5 m pair from hifimart for 9250 Bucks. Any experience with these two specifically please?

Furutech you can buy from bass and treble gurgaon. Furutech will be warm and detailed, mogami will be warm but not so detailed, kimber will be forward and detailed.
Excellent observations, I must say… which would you suggest for my setup with Kef Q500 and Marantz PM7000N? Have you used all these with your setup?

Excellent observations, I must say… which would you suggest for my setup with Kef Q500 and Marantz PM7000N? Have you used all these with your setup?

Kef are a little bright speakers for me and it would also depend what music you listen to. Only way out is to try and listen. Personally i like furutech tonality. My preference is furutech > mogami > Kimber. If you like fast music, electronic, rock metal kimber may suit. Furutech and mogami will slow things down.

Kef are a little bright speakers for me and it would also depend what music you listen to. Only way out is to try and listen. Personally i like furutech tonality. My preference is furutech > mogami > Kimber. If you like fast music, electronic, rock metal kimber may suit. Furutech and mogami will slow things down.
Mostly listen to bollywood, punjabi, ghazals and old hindi songs…

Hi, I see you are yourself using Kimber Ref cables. But is the 8 PR good enough at this price? Other option I am comparing is the Mogami 3103 terminated 3.5 m pair from hifimart for 9250 Bucks. Any experience with these two specifically please?
I have used KIMBER 4pr, 8pr and 12tc..
Kimber is quite Lively Cable. I'd prefer Belden instead of Mogami, but Kimber 4pr over all the Pro Audio cables.

I was hard pressed to find a difference between AliExpress Kimber 12tc copy vs Original Kimber 12Tc, unless you have a very resolving system. So I'd pick copy Kimber 12Tc from AliExpress at 10k budget.
Absolutely YMMV.

If you are looking for details, lively performance (for Bollywood and Bhangra) then Kimber is a great Choice. Why don't you ask your dealer to provide the 8pr Cable for home audition? Nobody can decide about cables without a home audition IMHO.

I have never used any fancy, branded wires for speakers. Just normal lamp cord/ electrical wires. Approximately 80meters if speaker cables for my 5.4.4 HT are from a roll of 16 awg electrical cable, even for the subs.

Hi,
Congratulations on moving to a nice two channel set up.
A good quality cable will help and you have some choices within your indicated budget.
You may find a range of opinions and answers to your question if you research this topic online. Cable sceptics often use the term snake oil. It’s confusing but fun to explore and make up your mind on what works best in YOUR set up.

Your dealers offer of Kimber cables (8PR @ 600 per foot) works out to about 1800/ metre. This is not far from your budget and Kimber cables are well regarded in the home audio world and this model has been in continuos production for over 10 years it seems. It has good reviews too judging from a wuicj
Good to find out if he is offering them terminated (probably not) Maybe negotiate a bit?

On the other hand you could start with Amazon Basics cables or Finolex copper electrical cables (yes, good quality commercial electrical cables) highly recommended by some respected FMs. This is well within your budget. And over time you could try out other brands (borrow for trial) and upgrade if you feel like it. These are inexpensive and will relieve some of your self inflicted pressure of getting something within 4-5 days.

Enjoy the music!
i use 6 sq mm finolex and self terminate my speaker cables, they beat speaker cables 10x their cost in terms of sonic performance.
costed me roughly 800-1000 bucks to make. nakamichi plugs on the way

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    57.5 KB · Views: 75
i use 6 sq mm finolex and self terminate my speaker cables, they beat speaker cables 10x their cost in terms of sonic performance.
costed me roughly 800-1000 bucks to make. nakamichi plugs on the way
The most sensible approach. If one starts discussing the pros of your cable, it might start a cable war :p

The most sensible approach. If one starts discussing the pros of your cable, it might start a cable war :p

that's a 3K speaker cable made by me just in parts cost. beats a 40K speaker cable hands down. tested with multiple branded cables.

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2021-10-09 at 9.09.10 PM (1).jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2021-10-09 at 9.09.10 PM (1).jpeg
    115.7 KB · Views: 98
  • WhatsApp Image 2021-10-09 at 9.09.10 PM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2021-10-09 at 9.09.10 PM.jpeg
    142.9 KB · Views: 98
that's a 3K speaker cable made by me just in parts cost. beats a 40K speaker cable hands down. tested with multiple branded cables.
That's a pro job. Where did you get the sleeves? If online, can you provide me the seller?

That's a pro job. Where did you get the sleeves? If online, can you provide me the seller?
robu.in has heat shrinks, sleeves etc, banana plugs are MX ( flagship) pair runs about 500 and heavier and better than neutrik and nakamichi
so 4 sets of banana plugs - 2000
6 sq mm cable ( 8 m) to make 2 pairs of 2M speaker cable each - 500
sleeve
heatshrinks etc another 200-300

thats bout it ( some beer and some free time at night ).

did you get a chance to self terminate the cables ? after about 50-60 hours they are brilliant.
also got some white fiberglass sleeve resin coated from amazon to make another set in white for a friend :)

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back