Help please - Faulty WD 2 TB Sata HDD

snorkel4u

Hi All,

I was using a WD 2 TB internal SATA HDD for storing my movies. I used to plug this HDD in a SATA docking station by Thermaltake.

This was then connected to my AC Ryan POHD Media player via USB 2.0. Recently I had taken the HDD with me to copy some movies from a friend. Though it was padded in foam, but the bag dropped from a height of 3 ft. (Ouch , the thud still hurts) I am not sure what part of the bag hit the ground first, the HDDs were kept in the bottom...DUH!!! There was another 2 TB internal HDD kept in it.

I went home and tested them. One is working fine and the other one has started making a clicking sound I'm afraid if the HDD has conked off! it makes the clicking sound like its trying to read something and then after some time it stops. )

When I fixed the HDD inside the Media player (which is based on Linux) then it got detected (the HDD logo came up) but it couldn't read my Drive, space left etc. which it does with the other one.

All I am worried for is my Photos collection from last 10-15 years in it . Everything was on that HDD along with a lot of movies. That, I can get again.

Could you guys please suggest what can I do to check if I can recover the data or not? This is my analysis.

1.) I don't need to connect it via USB, but need to plug it in a CPU and then test if it gets detected? Run CHKDSK and other Disk checking tools.
Could you suggest any other tools that I should use to check the HDD?

2.) Secondly, I can try and download Linux and boot from CD and see if my HDD gets detected in Linux OS?
3.) I should disconnect the Data cable and only let the Power cable connected and see if it still gets detected? If the noise stops, then I may have a faulty cable.

4.) Worst, if I need to recover the Photos - I might need to take it to a Data recovery center. Can anyone recommend any good center in Nehru Pace? I want only the photos back. Rest movies etc, I can let go off !

The drive was bought last july so I believe it will still be under warranty so I can RMA it and get a replacement. That comes later, but am trying to same the photos first.

Please help.

Try plugging inside a PC and see if it gets detected. CHKDSK and other disc checking tools are only good for basic sector errors and even there they don't too much. If there is physical damage then its better to get it replaced as its still under warranty.

For recovering data, try a boot CD (if the HDD is not detected in the PC) and hopefully if it works then copy the pics (and movies too!).

You can try tools like SpinRite to recover data but if you are not comfortable then its better to find a data recovery center.

PS - Use something like DropBox & SkyDrive to backup important pictures and videos. Or its better to have 2-3 backups.

thanks Musicbee, I am trying to get hold of someone who has a CPU, in which I could plug the HDD as slave and check if it gets detected in the BIOS.

On my laptop, when I try to plug it via USB, I can see the drive being detected as External Mass Storage device, which is correct, coz I am connecting it like a external USB HDD.

It shows up in Disc Management as well, but shows as unavailable.

Get the drive to be professionally checked for data recovery. The reading head may have plunged into the disc platter in case of dropping. You can't do much.

Some where on the internet I read about 2 options. Either freeze it, which may cause electrical components to shrink and it may work for some time.
Secondly, give it a hard jerk again. It might re position the reading head. But the question is which way to give it the Jerk... LOL

Going to friends place tomorrow to check it in the PC.

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back