Help regarding home theater room dimensions!

Raghav_K

Hi,

I'm building a new house and in the first floor, i plan to have a dedicated home theater room.

The setup i plan to have:

5.1 home theater system - Yamaha + dali
46 inch tv screen
A projector at a later date.

The dimensions will be as follows:

Height : 10 feet

Width : 11 feet

The length as of now is 22 feet

Please suggest what is the optimal minimum length needed for good acoustics?

I'm requesting for minimum optimal length, because whatever length i can save i will be utilizing to have a seperate small study, or a store room if it's too small.

Thanks for your help.

Last edited:
There is no single exact x:y:z ratio or Golden ratios, if you will, if that's what you are looking for.
There are several people who have looked at this problem and have written extensive articles. You could look at a few and pick what you feel sounds reasonable. Here is a short list:

https://radiobombfm.wordpress.com/2012/09/15/sound-101-the-golden-acoustic-ratio/

Acoustics Forum • View topic - ROOM RATIOS

Home Theater Room Dimension Formulas & Calculator

http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showthread.php?9752-The-myth-of-generic-optimum-room-dimension-ratios

A Room to Listen In - Audiophile Review

Try and build a room with dimension of prime numbers. That way they will not have any common factors and will give you more even response that others
11, 13, 17, 19, 23, 29 etc

A room dimension of say 13 X 17 x 11 height is very decent for HT or music listening.

The dimensions will be as follows:

Height : 10 feet

Width : 11 feet

The length as of now is 22 feet

Please suggest what is the optimal minimum length needed for good acoustics?

Minimum optimal length would be 17'
As that has no common factor with 10 and 11.
Although 13' satisfies that criteria but I think it is too close with each other and will reinforce very close range of frequencies.

Thank you so much..

I'm planning for 13*11*17..

Will go through the links provided above, thanks again!

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back