help req for ht setup

drtanu

hi everyone!!

i want to setup a home theater system within 1lac for which i require your valuable advice...

i am planning to assemble a system with the following config:

a/v receiver : denon 1911/2311/ onkyo tx nr 708

speakers: q acoustics 2000 series speaker package

i am to get the receiver from the usa, for the following prices
1911 - about $600
2311 - $900
708 - $649

and speakers from the uk for GBP 500

now i want your advice on the setup as well as merits and demerits of buying from outside india leaving aside the custom duty issues..

thanks
:)

Within your budget and use for watching movies, I would suggest going for a package deal for all components and speakers within India rather than buying piecemeal from different parts of the world. You may be able to get the best value of money spent as well as warranties.

However, if this is only a starting point with bigger objectives for future, as well as integrating to a stereo system, you should start looking for separates like you say now. But then the point is you need some specific plans. For example, if music matters, better invest more in good quality front speakers which you need not change in the next few years and spend less on components which may throw away after some time. In other words, a phased out approach. Ultimately it is your money and goals and you are the best person to decide. And believe me, in this range, you are not going to observe any significant changes from one to another system irrespective of what others may say.

This is the best suggestion I can offer you. Good luck.

murali

thanks murali :)

i get your point :)

after reading your suggestion and other posts on the forum i guess i would start with a good receiver and a pair of good fs speakers for now and later add components to it for full 7.1 setup

now for the price point of say 40k which FS speakers will i be able to get???

thanks

regards

ruchir

after reading your suggestion and other posts on the forum i guess i would start with a good receiver and a pair of good fs speakers for now and later add components to it for full 7.1 setup

thanks

regards

ruchir

You can get Paradigm monitor 7 if you streach a lil bit more you can also go for Monitor Audio RS series... Both have good reputation in the forum.

thanks

regards

ruchir

I am sorry you still seem to be in the wrong track. I understand from your above post that your main requirement is A/V receiver with a surround speaker system primarily to watch movies and may be, play occasional music. Right? For less than Rs1L budget, there is no point splitting x and y against receiver and speakers. Moreover, in this setup and functionality, it does not matter whether it is Denon or Yamaha or Rotel or Sony or whatever. You fix the ceiling of your budget, go around talking to dealers for a full system (receiver + 5.1 speaker system presuming you have a DVD player already), if possible with even a i-pod dock (you may find it useful now or later), look for the best deal and get it. Best value for money spent and maximum warranty. Unless your viewing room is like a cathedral hall, you will never need 7.1.

This is only an advice or opinion, you can use it or reject it. It is your money and interest.

good luck.
murali

DrTanu, what is your room size?

Secondly, the combinations you mentioned will be available in India for maybe 25-30% more if your get a good dealer. The hassles in terms of warranty, support, installation and other worries will be completely removed if you buy from an authorised dealer in India. Products that you import will not be supported in India.

Cheers

Last edited:
ok

first of all thanks everyone!!! now i guess i need to provide a little more information about my requirements

my listening room is a one side open space of about 18'X13' which makes it about 250 sq ft.

now my parents are going to hong kong next month so i thought i could get a receiver from there for cheap, may be at half price or so but again i am not absolutely sure about the bargain. so if they get a good deal i might ask them to get it.

a cousin of mine stays in the uk and is coming back in nov so he can possibly get q acoustics 1010i package for me which is available there for a meagre gbp 300.

i currently have a sony 40" lcd, tata sky hd n a ps3 and plan to start with blu ray rental service as soon as the HT setup is complete.

now the question about the budget... i was looking for a setup for under 1 lac in india, say q1010i/2000 package + denon 1910/1911 but again if i have to shell out a little less dough for the same thing from outside, i actually don't mind...

now the thing is that researching for better deals is not possible for me right now and the fact that such opportunities to buy the setup from outside that came up recently got me tempted...

so this is the complete picture right now

n am eagerly waiting for your advice

thanks

regards

ruchir

Hi all,

Good to spot this Forum, very impressive with lots & lots of tech activity. I am also looking for help in setting up a HT in one of my new houses. The room is exclusive and meant only for the HT set up, and need your help to find an expert, in Hyderabad, to design and setup. If you have a good design consultant for this please post the info for me.
Cheers,
:clapping:
tvss

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back