HELP - Samsung LA40A610 or LA46A550: which once to buy?

nairsiddharth

need ur help to decide wether i should buy a samsung LA40A610 or samsung LA46A550?

i am pretty much confused with all the reviews. dont know the major diff between Samsung series 5 v/s 6.

can u let me know which tv should i go for 40 inch 6 series or 46 inches 5 series?

wanna buy the TV this weekend, have the money to buy either one.

Its 8 to 10 feet. is there any major difference in the technology. i am planning to watch TV via Tata Sky / Hathway and movies via dvd occasionally

Its 8 to 10 feet. is there any major difference in the technology. i am planning to watch TV via Tata Sky / Hathway and movies via dvd occasionally

hey buddy

if u r nt gonna play games like PS2 or something...

then close your eyes and hop in for a Plasma...42"
Maybe Panasonic, or Hitachi...or if you have budget than ofco**** Pioneer...

Dont look into the LCD for that size...you will be compromising on the picture quality and the response ratio and life and ofco**** are better for your eyes...and as well you will spending more on LCDs...

Plasma beats LCD anyday, in terms of Technology...Picture Quality...Life...Response Ratio...Health(Reflection to Eyes)
The only disadvantage is the burning issue...which is about 6-7hrs in Plasma and 8-10hrs in LCD...

Confused, can you clarify what is meant by, "6-7hrs in Plasma and 8-10hrs in LCD..."

by that he meant that if you were to display a static image with high contrast settings on a plasma for more than 3-4 hours (initial 100 hrs of operation) - then there is a chance of burn in or image retention even after the tv is switched off or change channels. (this happens from uneven wear of phosphors on the screen). LCD is however not prone to this and good for malls etc where a static image maybe on display.

This fact has been blown out of proportion by masses and LCD salesmen - who claim that a plasma is junk because of that. But thats a good thing because it is the same reason that plasma prices have dropped so much.

BTW if you are comparing the 46 5 series to the 40 6 series - go for the 5 series - bigger the better. BTW the 46 5 series is around 86k and 46 6 series around 96 k right? Increase your budget and get the 6 series for 90k+ - its VFM.

PS: Both series will fail with CNBC and the ticker test. Try it out.

thanks for ur views. appreciate it. i am getting 46 550 for ~75 so i dont think i can stretch to 90+ its out of budget.....

i think what i am hearing is that 46 550 is the way to go.

i am not so sure about plasma. wont i get the same cnbc ticker prob on plasma to?

i saw the 42" plasma in the shop and i liked it.... somehow the guy told me that the lcd was clearer than the plasma? is that true?

help help help :p

well this debate lcd vs plasma well HD ready plasma look a bit better in SD content,but if it is HD then advantages are none,lcds produce more crisper image then plasma even though both may have the same resolution,in ur options such as series 5 and series 6 both are good and have a ANSI contrast advantage compared to budget plasma models such as pv8/80.
well if is a 46inch that u want at 8 feet to 10feet u can certainly go for the series 5 lcd its a great tv.
well the lcd are good a vast majority of the people prefer lcds tvs over plasma and the proof is in sales number,tvs from samsung and sony easily surpass the contrast ratio of almost all plasma priced below 1 lakh.
some plasma fanboys will continue to bash lcds but people do have eyes and know what to buy and lcds are just dominating.

thanks for ur views. appreciate it. i am getting 46 550 for ~75 so i dont think i can stretch to 90+ its out of budget.....

i think what i am hearing is that 46 550 is the way to go.

i am not so sure about plasma. wont i get the same cnbc ticker prob on plasma to?

i saw the 42" plasma in the shop and i liked it.... somehow the guy told me that the lcd was clearer than the plasma? is that true?

help help help :p

Really cannot 'compare' 46" 550 & 42" Plasma directly in your case.
Debate with 42" Plasma only if your budget permitted a LCD in and around the 42" Plasma cost range.....VFM and all that stuff!

Other than that, depends on your viewing habits:
Well lighted room + Lots of Games = LCD preference
Relatively lighted room (no direct glare) + Movies + Sports + DVDs = Plasma

If you plan to watch Tata Sky a lot, do consider HD Ready (Plasma) for now as SD content is a lot sharper in the lower resolution compared to a Full HD.

Then again, if budget (~ 75K) is not a constraint, good to plan for biggest size currently affordable and better future scalability (whenever HD signals / media is available) and go for Full HD 46" 550 as a one time investment for now. In short, if you have the budget for 46" 550, go for it. It is a good LCD.

well this debate lcd vs plasma well HD ready plasma look a bit better in SD content,but if it is HD then advantages are none,lcds produce more crisper image then plasma even though both may have the same resolution,in ur options such as series 5 and series 6 both are good and have a ANSI contrast advantage compared to budget plasma models such as pv8/80.
well if is a 46inch that u want at 8 feet to 10feet u can certainly go for the series 5 lcd its a great tv.
well the lcd are good a vast majority of the people prefer lcds tvs over plasma and the proof is in sales number,tvs from samsung and sony easily surpass the contrast ratio of almost all plasma priced below 1 lakh.
some plasma fanboys will continue to bash lcds but people do have eyes and know what to buy and lcds are just dominating.

well although am a panny fanboy - i would still second adder. Go for the 46 5 series. But 75k?? Where?

For crisp clear and really good images go for the LCD. I would as well recommend 46 550. I have had plenty of demos of 610 vs 550 and I really couldnt figure out a difference. Yeah, btw I have 550. If you are planning to hookup a PC or any digital device that has high resolutions then dont go for plasma. But if your main choice is Dishtv/tatasky and SD movies then go for Plasma.

~LT

Guyz

Please dont again start the debate on LCD or Plasma...

Adder, you please dont do tht...
i am sick of discussing this again n again...

I do agree the burning effect after continuous static image for 6-7hrs...
But, nothing more than that..
The crispness, HD/SD content are no way to compare a LCD or Plasma...
Plasma is always better...

Buddy, whoever wanna take it...
Just dont fall into the Gimmic of the Sales Person...

Both LCD n Plasma plays there role...

Let your eyes do the needful...

Best of Luck...

Guyz

Please dont again start the debate on LCD or Plasma...

Adder, you please dont do tht...
i am sick of discussing this again n again...

well the thing is u are just bashing lcds ,now i guess u havent seen lcd tvs lately,even the critics are silent now days.

I do agree the burning effect after continuous static image for 6-7hrs...
But, nothing more than that..
The crispness, HD/SD content are no way to compare a LCD or Plasma...
Plasma is always better...
on what basis can u say that plasma is always better.

guys i think ur replies are great...... its really giving me opinions that help me make the decision. i am currently convinced on buying the 46 550 based on ur guys posts....

but still ... what is the difference between series 5 and series 6.... and is 100 Mhz really worth it?

guys i think ur replies are great...... its really giving me opinions that help me make the decision. i am currently convinced on buying the 46 550 based on ur guys posts....

but still ... what is the difference between series 5 and series 6.... and is 100 Mhz really worth it?

well the 100hz makes vidoes more fluid when watching a video like football etc,but only the latest 100hz motion flow tech from late 2008 and new 2009 models have a significant advantage.

and if u dont mind waiting the new samsung and sony lcd have vastly improved their image processing ,and some 2x or more gain in contrast.

well the thing is u are just bashing lcds ,now i guess u havent seen lcd tvs lately,even the critics are silent now days.

on what basis can u say that plasma is always better.

yup I would also want to know the betterness of plasma over lcd.

~LT

Hi Siddharth,

I don't think you have noticed that the 610 model does not have all the '6' series features, which rest of the 650 range has. 610 is more like a 550 with the series 6 ruby crystal look. The contrast, refresh rate etc. are same as the 550 model. I compared the two recently and bought the LA46A550P1.

I could not make out much difference in the picture even between the 550 and 650 sets of the same size. They just look different physically . Before you compare, make sure you select the same values for picture mode, backlit, contrast, brightness, sharpness, noise reduction, DNIe, Dynamic contrast etc. on both the sets. The dealers normally set these things based on what they want to promote for a higher sales margin.

Thanks,
Sharad

Last edited:
Thanks Sharad,

now that u did all the hard work by comparing the TV's i think i will just go with the 46 550 .... :D :yahoo:

i plan to get one tomorrow. i hope its as good as u guys make it to be! :clapping:

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back