HELP - Samsung LA40A610 or LA46A550: which once to buy?

yup I would also want to know the betterness of plasma over lcd.

~LT

Really your eyes are the best judge! Everything else is ball...

If sales are the criteria then wow Maruti 800 is the best car in the world and too bad I don't own one. And hey Aston Martin and Bugatti Veyron don't sell as much so they must be really bad cars. Also, too bad I spent a bomb on a Honda CBR, the local Hero Honda is number 1 in sales so obviously better than the imported Honda CBR.

Unfortunately people don't have eyes. TVs are purchased for free 50 DVD packs and/or a free DVDP thrown in, or a free HDMI cable. Or else as everyone knows the dealer margins and incentives are given most by which Korean brands and hence their products are pushed as the best by the salesmen who really cannot tell you what HDMI stands for. I mean it. Try to buy a TV only from a guy who can tell you what HDMI stands for and let's see how many places really qualify to sell you a TV. I've personally asked many what does HDMI mean/stand for and 99% of the salesmen who told me XXX Korean company makes the best LCD panel could not tell me what HDMI stood for. Yet the guy could rattle off so many facts on why that particular brand selling LCDs was the best. Finally, those with eyes will go with the PV8 no matter what (as many have on this very forum) or a Sammy plasma 410/450, but mind you a plasma either ways. And even more so those with eyes and deep pockets will go for Sony X series (yeah they are better than plasmas, but only because the premier plasma range and Full HD plasmas like the Pioneer Kuro are not sold in India). So those with eyes and deep pockets will go with Sony X series (LCD), those with eyes and not so deep pockets will go with Panasonic PV8, Samsung 410/450 (plasma), and those with very deep pockets will go for Pioneer Kuro (plasma). I don't want to mention what those without eyes but with deep pockets and without deep pockets will go for. Let's leave it at that.

Not LCD bashing and no offense to anyone so PEACE TO ALL!!!

Hi,

I do not depend on the salesmen to educate myself. I normally tell them to shut up and just do what I am asking for, which is switching on the equipment I want and hand me the remote control.

BTW, Pioneer's latest plasma TVs were being sold by their authorized dealer in Bangalore, at least till last year. Has any thing changed recently? I agree that they were good, but they wanted 4 lakhs for it!

Regards,
Sharad

If sales are the criteria then wow Maruti 800 is the best car in the world and too bad I don't own one. And hey Aston Martin and Bugatti Veyron don't sell as much so they must be really bad cars. Also, too bad I spent a bomb on a Honda CBR, the local Hero Honda is number 1 in sales so obviously better than the imported Honda CBR.

Unfortunately people don't have eyes. TVs are purchased for free 50 DVD packs and/or a free DVDP thrown in, or a free HDMI cable. Or else as everyone knows the dealer margins and incentives are given most by which Korean brands and hence their products are pushed as the best by the salesmen who really cannot tell you what HDMI stands for. I mean it. Try to buy a TV only from a guy who can tell you what HDMI stands for and let's see how many places really qualify to sell you a TV. I've personally asked many what does HDMI mean/stand for and 99% of the salesmen who told me XXX Korean company makes the best LCD panel could not tell me what HDMI stood for. Yet the guy could rattle off so many facts on why that particular brand selling LCDs was the best. Finally, those with eyes will go with the PV8 no matter what (as many have on this very forum) or a Sammy plasma 410/450, but mind you a plasma either ways. And even more so those with eyes and deep pockets will go for Sony X series (yeah they are better than plasmas, but only because the premier plasma range and Full HD plasmas like the Pioneer Kuro are not sold in India). So those with eyes and deep pockets will go with Sony X series (LCD), those with eyes and not so deep pockets will go with Panasonic PV8, Samsung 410/450 (plasma), and those with very deep pockets will go for Pioneer Kuro (plasma). I don't want to mention what those without eyes but with deep pockets and without deep pockets will go for. Let's leave it at that.

Not LCD bashing and no offense to anyone so PEACE TO ALL!!!

dude you spoke my mind - only if i could be as outspoken as you :clapping:

Hi,

I do not depend on the salesmen to educate myself. I normally tell them to shut up and just do what I am asking for, which is switching on the equipment I want and hand me the remote control.

No comments here. No offense meant to anyone. Just wanted to point out how educated the salesmen were and their sales pitch that LCD is better than Plasma should be taken with a pinch of salt since what the salesman is really saying is "I get more incentives from the XXX Korean LCD guys so that's why you should buy them".

BTW, Pioneer's latest plasma TVs were being sold by their authorized dealer in Bangalore, at least till last year. Has any thing changed recently? I agree that they were good, but they wanted 4 lakhs for it!

I cannot disagree here either. In fact I do rate the Sony X series better than the PV8 and other plasmas available here. But even here the Sony X series and the new 200 Hz range from Sony cost the same 3.5 lacs or thereabouts. If people are really pushing LCDs and rooting for LCDs then please do so by all means for the really good ones like the Sony X series. Even I will admit they are better than PV8 and other plasmas. However, I will beg to differ where LG and Samsung and their entry level LCDs are concerned. Anyone with really "good eyes" will see the plasmas like the PV8 really beat the crap out of them. Talking of sales figures and eyes for such entry level LCDs is well... I just rest my case.

Once again, I'm not LCD bashing and no offense meant to anyone.

well lcds arent cheaper remember lcd were all priced like aston martin and veyrons but still outsold plasmas.i still have the 2005 sony catalog where lcds even a 20inch 4:3 lcd used to cost 60000,and sony had about 3 models in the catalog all cheaper then their respective lcds counterparts,yet which one out sold.

Unfortunately people don't have eyes. TVs are purchased for free 50 DVD packs and/or a free DVDP thrown in, or a free HDMI cable. Or else as everyone knows the dealer margins and incentives are given most by which Korean brands and hence their products are pushed as the best by the salesmen who really cannot tell you what HDMI stands for. I mean it. Try to buy a TV only from a guy who can tell you what HDMI stands for and let's see how many places really qualify to sell you a TV. I've personally asked many what does HDMI mean/stand for and 99% of the salesmen who told me XXX Korean company makes the best LCD panel could not tell me what HDMI stood for. Yet the guy could rattle off so many facts on why that particular brand selling LCDs was the best.

this i agree.

Finally, those with eyes will go with the PV8 no matter what (as many have on this very forum) or a Sammy plasma 410/450, but mind you a plasma either ways. And even more so those with eyes and deep pockets will go for Sony X series (yeah they are better than plasmas, but only because the premier plasma range and Full HD plasmas like the Pioneer Kuro are not sold in India). So those with eyes and deep pockets will go with Sony X series (LCD), those with eyes and not so deep pockets will go with Panasonic PV8, Samsung 410/450 (plasma), and those with very deep pockets will go for Pioneer Kuro (plasma). I don't want to mention what those without eyes but with deep pockets and without deep pockets will go for. Let's leave it at that.
remember ur criteria is different from others what u may like may not be liked by others,looks are subjective even picture quality are subjective,for instance in lcds some like the viewing angles of panasonic or lg lcds,most critics will look for the contrast and shadow detail were sony and samsung scores.
initialy plasma owners used brag about plasma having more contast,and response time this was their main point,but todays thats history response time is no longer an issue and motion trail of lcds are equal and sometime even better then some plasmas.ANSI contrast well easily normal backlight lcds from samsung and sony easily surpass almost 90% of the plasmas out there,no u dont need a sony X or samsung series 8 for that.its only the kuro and pansonic 800 series plasmas that has a slight advantage in contrast,and that too compared to normal backlight lcds,some models of X series and samsung 9 series lcds surpass the contrast even that of kuro.
infact there are people in US and UK forums who had a KURO return their tvs back to get the new samsung LED lcd tvs.and i am not joking,lcds are that good.
the people who swithced to these new lcds from plasma say that when playing HD content the image are no doubt great in both tvs but in a plasma u feel like u are watching it in a television,but on a lcds due to the crispness and sharp image its the closer to the real life, remember our eyes can give us incredible detail of the world the ultimate TV/display is the one that can match it which as of now there is no technology that can match it but compare that to a lcd and plasma,its the lcds that give that closer to real life quality.

BTW FHD plasma like kuro are sold in india and are cheaper then X series.

Last edited:
@adder - I do agree and concur with you. Even now you and I are saying the same thing, but only for the high end LCDs and Plasmas. The only point where I disagree with you is that an LG Jazz or Scarlett or ditto Samsung are better than the PV8. No way. Just put Tata Sky or any DVD and do a side by side comparison and the PV8 will win. This I have seen with my own eyes. Using a PS3 and playing a game on a Full HD is a different story, but how many do a side by side comparison with a PS3? SD TV content and DVDs are the only options in the TV shop.

BTW I've seen the OLED and LED LCDs and man are they good. Just breathtaking and what's more they are like paper thin in thickness. Too bad we have to wait a while before they are mainstream and affordable.

I also disagree with your argument that people went for LCDs even though they were priced higher than plasmas. In fact plasmas were not much available especially the good quality high end ones and in fact even now they are not. Maybe Kuro's are available but not to the extent the Sony X series are and even so might have warranty issues. I've hunted a lot and no Kuro was available when I picked my PV8 in my city at least.

@adder - I do agree and concur with you. Even now you and I are saying the same thing, but only for the high end LCDs and Plasmas. The only point where I disagree with you is that an LG Jazz or Scarlett or ditto Samsung are better than the PV8. No way. Just put Tata Sky or any DVD and do a side by side comparison and the PV8 will win. This I have seen with my own eyes. Using a PS3 and playing a game on a Full HD is a different story, but how many do a side by side comparison with a PS3? SD TV content and DVDs are the only options in the TV shop.
well not in one place did i say lgs are good may be for some people but not me,about samsung they are good ,infact i believe that their 2009 lcds will finaly beat the performance of sony lcds.even now they only loose the performance crwon by a small marging to the sony.
well tata sky and dvds look bad in most FHD tvs including the mighty kuro,and yes pv8 will win since it has a lower resolution screen and i have infact recommended plasmas like pv8 for people who only watch SD in this and various other forums.

BTW I've seen the OLED and LED LCDs and man are they good. Just breathtaking and what's more they are like paper thin in thickness. Too bad we have to wait a while before they are mainstream and affordable.
well yes they will become affordable since quite a number of people with big $$$$ in US and UK are buying and they also consumes 30 to 40% less then normal backlight lcds ,i believe in 2010 it will be the mainstream.

also disagree with your argument that people went for LCDs even though they were priced higher than plasmas. In fact plasmas were not much available especially the good quality high end ones and in fact even now they are not.
well the first big size flat screen tv that i heard and saw for the first time was a plasma tv i remember seeing a plasma in 2000 and the first color lcds that i saw was in aircrafts,and lcds at that time had poor contrast and poor response time ,plasma pretty much had the advantages almost on all factors those days.but things have improved rapidly in lcds to the position they are today.

Last edited:
the question to be asked is : " What do you plan to do with your TV set" ?

tata sky@ current SDTV resolution looks way better on a pv8 than on any full HD LCD.
And if anyone says that one is going to buy a new TV and is not going to watch Indian television, i would say why buy it?(For other purposes a PC monitor would do fine :cool:)

Main purpose of watching a TV is actually to watch the cable(or say TataSKy). Everyone does.

HD channels are now available, but at a huge premium. In my opinion it would take around 1.5-2 years for this dust to settle down, and then all channels would be broadcasting in HD. But remember they still broadcast in 720p/1080i. Not 1080p. So a 720p set like the pv8 does absolutely fine for future purposes as well.

One area where it does miss out is 1080p bluray. Apart from pirated content, there is still scarcity of BD in India. Only 3-4 bollywood movies in BD till now. And BD Players are still expensive.
Add to the fact that 1080p and 720p for a 42" set is almost same for normal viewing distances.

This is where pv8 wins. At least in the 42" category. Even moderate gaming is possible on PV8.
Yes, if there could be series 5 or series 6 samsung set in 720p, and not full HD, things could have been different.

Guys, i have bought samsung la40a550. Its an awesome tv. There is no question about it.

Got it for 58k. I think its a fair price.

Thank you all for ur comments, it helped me in making the right choice......

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back