Help setting up Onkyo 5105

Ketan

Hello All,

I have got this Onkyo 5105 recently, still setting up with the new TV stand and waiting for sourround speakers to be fixed in couple of days.

I'm yet to buy a DVD player too and shall mostly be going with either Philips 5996 or LG DV388 (may be Pioneer 610 if I get that cheaper in grey market), let me know which DVD would you suggest to make full use of Onkyo 5105 with Sony 3LCD projection TV (with one HDMI input).

I have got Xbox 360 Elite model that has got only HDMI output (I beleive, I'm correct here as it doesnt have any other type of output than HDMI port - there is one cable that goes to bigger slot right above HDMI and gives two different output where one is component and another is composite I guess with a switch on the cable that can be either set to TV or HDTV).

I understand that 5105 has got passthru HDMI audio so it will not decode 5.1 / DTS / DD kind of sound and simply pass the audio from its source (Xbox) to target (onkyo speakers) << Am I right?

If my Xbox is doing this job of decoding and providing features like DTS / DD / 5.1 then I should still be okay with passthru audio, but if its not doing so (which would be surprise to me), then I dont have an option to output audio from Xbox using optical or coaxial type of digital audio format as I dont see those outputs on my Xbox :(

If I let Xbox do the decoding job (DTS / DD / 5.1), how would be the final audio output on my HTS!! This means I'm not using my AVR for audio at all and its not going to do anything with the audio coming from Xbox - no contribution by AVR for audio in this case and if I'm playing some standard DVDs / Games off the Xbox, AVR is not going to enhance my audio anymore as I'm using HDMI as the only connectivity option - is this true?

What are the other options I'm left with if the above situation is true?

I've got this normal cables came with the system which I may be using going forward, I may need to replace the cable (extend the cables) for the sourround speakers as the length came with the package may not be sufficient. These looks like normal cables. Do you guys suggest replacing them with some high quality cable for better performance, I shall do that now at the time of setup itself and shall not go for replacing the existing cables with the same quality longer cable insted.

I have other questions regarding my cable/sat connection to AVR as well and may have some once I get the DVD player, but I shall keep them for later, I shall take one thing at a time and move forward.

Thank you.

Hello All,

I have got this Onkyo 5105 recently, still setting up with the new TV stand and waiting for sourround speakers to be fixed in couple of days.

I'm yet to buy a DVD player too and shall mostly be going with either Philips 5996 or LG DV388 (may be Pioneer 610 if I get that cheaper in grey market), let me know which DVD would you suggest to make full use of Onkyo 5105 with Sony 3LCD projection TV (with one HDMI input).

I have got Xbox 360 Elite model that has got only HDMI output (I beleive, I'm correct here as it doesnt have any other type of output than HDMI port - there is one cable that goes to bigger slot right above HDMI and gives two different output where one is component and another is composite I guess with a switch on the cable that can be either set to TV or HDTV).

I understand that 5105 has got passthru HDMI audio so it will not decode 5.1 / DTS / DD kind of sound and simply pass the audio from its source (Xbox) to target (onkyo speakers) << Am I right?

If my Xbox is doing this job of decoding and providing features like DTS / DD / 5.1 then I should still be okay with passthru audio, but if its not doing so (which would be surprise to me), then I dont have an option to output audio from Xbox using optical or coaxial type of digital audio format as I dont see those outputs on my Xbox :(

If I let Xbox do the decoding job (DTS / DD / 5.1), how would be the final audio output on my HTS!! This means I'm not using my AVR for audio at all and its not going to do anything with the audio coming from Xbox - no contribution by AVR for audio in this case and if I'm playing some standard DVDs / Games off the Xbox, AVR is not going to enhance my audio anymore as I'm using HDMI as the only connectivity option - is this true?

What are the other options I'm left with if the above situation is true?

I've got this normal cables came with the system which I may be using going forward, I may need to replace the cable (extend the cables) for the sourround speakers as the length came with the package may not be sufficient. These looks like normal cables. Do you guys suggest replacing them with some high quality cable for better performance, I shall do that now at the time of setup itself and shall not go for replacing the existing cables with the same quality longer cable insted.

I have other questions regarding my cable/sat connection to AVR as well and may have some once I get the DVD player, but I shall keep them for later, I shall take one thing at a time and move forward.

Thank you.

how much it costs?

I'm afraid its true. The other option would be to get the PS3 or a good dvd player like Oppo series.

Your Xbox 360 Elite (pic1) obviously doesn't have an optical out. The PS3 (Pic2) on the other hand has all the connection you might need - Plus it plays Blueray, am sure that would look fabulous on your flat screen.

FWIW, am not in to consoles.

Cheers.

Attachments

• thumb800x800_437280584_8e3c445c75_owtmk.jpg
    thumb800x800_437280584_8e3c445c75_owtmk.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 152
  • ps3_back.jpg
    ps3_back.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 152
If Xbox dont have dig out that meens it will definitely output sound via HDMI.
If it cannot decode ,it can pass aud in Raw mode & Onk will do the job.

DVDp can be-
1.LG DV388 =3k
2.Pio 610 =6.6k(grey)

If Xbox dont have dig out that meens it will definitely output sound via HDMI.
If it cannot decode ,it can pass aud in Raw mode & Onk will do the job.

DVDp can be-
1.LG DV388 =3k
2.Pio 610 =6.6k(grey)

Wont the onkyo just pass the sound also to the tv? wouldnt he have to make separate audio connectio the onkyo in order to get sound through the speakers connected to avr?

how much it costs?

HDMI paas-through means it will not decode video+multichannel audio simultaneously. It will ignore audio and pass-on video to ur disply(TV/Projector etc.)

To decode multichannel audio with ur avr, u need optical OR coaxial out, If xbox has it, connect it to avr. Then AVR will decode multi channel audio. Connect hdmi from xbox to ur display directly for video.

Regards,

Yogesh.

As you see in the picture above, 360 doesnt have digital audio (opt) output, its just one HDMI output that 360 has.

That leaves us with only option to give the HDMI output from 360 to Onkyo AVR (HDMI i/p) and then AVR should be able to send send video to the TV and should be able to process audio output to the speakers attached,, is that how its going to be??

In that case, who decodes the audio! 360 or AVR?
I have finally bought Philips 5996 for the movie purpose / not going to use 360 to play all the movies (costly drive compared to 5996 and cant use it to be abused by oridnary DVDs in market).

However, if I decide to use tversity server or something like that to stream media from my PC using 360, it will be good to ensure we get right audio and video output.

any thoughts on this?

As you see in the picture above, 360 doesnt have digital audio (opt) output, its just one HDMI output that 360 has.

That leaves us with only option to give the HDMI output from 360 to Onkyo AVR (HDMI i/p) and then AVR should be able to send send video to the TV and should be able to process audio output to the speakers attached,, is that how its going to be??

In that case, who decodes the audio! 360 or AVR?
360 should decode audio. Someone has already mentioned that your AVR will not decode audio from HDMI.

I have finally bought Philips 5996 for the movie purpose / not going to use 360 to play all the movies (costly drive compared to 5996 and cant use it to be abused by oridnary DVDs in market).

Congrats! You can connect this and Xbox to AVR (both HDMI) and take HDMI output from AVR to TV, since your TV has only one HDMI input.

In this case, your AVR will switch HDMI ports to output video to TV.

Guys,

I'm back, so far I was not using xbox 360 using avr, now I have got an additional device, Xtreamer and going to use that with HDMI connection.

so, the HDMI passthru audio is the fact, Onkyo doesnt take Audio from HDMI input, we have to have a seperate Audio input to Onkyo if we are using HDMI for video input.

I'm going to have to buy an optical cable for Xtreamer so that I can make full use of Onkyo with Xtreamer, but with Xbox, I'm still confused.

With no seperate Audio output on my xbox, how am I going to use Onkyo with my xbox? Has anyone tried this comibination before? any idea about the connectivity?

There is an adaptor avaliable in the market which connects to the port above the Hdmi on your xbox and through this port you get optical out so you can use that to send audio signal in raw format to your Avr for decoding.The adaptor comes bundled with the original Microsoft Hdmi cable for Xbox360.

I have all my 360 accessories there in the box. I remember there were a couple of adapters there. So, do you mean I can use one of them to send optical out to AVR?

I dont remmeber seeing an adapter that had got optical out at the other end.. do I need to buy some type of cable to use with that adapter or something?

I have all the accessories come with elite with me, let me know what else I need to buy if I want to connect it to AVR?

I remember that when I ordered mine from play-Asia.com the hdmi cable came with an adaptor suppose to be connected on the connector above the Hdmi port and it had an optical out.Also the component cable bundled with the core version came with the optical port on the cable itself. Here is the link to the same: http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-de-49-en-70-2apg.html

Last edited:
The X360's normal Component HD cable has an optical out at its back,from which you can run a separate optical cable. This will work in case you use the component HD connectivity from 360 to ur AVR.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back