Cabinet: Cooler master K281 or K380 - ~4,000
RAM: Transcend 4 GB 1333MHz - 2,000
HDD: 1 TB Seagate Barracuda 7200 rpm - 4,000
SMPS: Corsair CX 420 - 3,200
GPU: Will add later if needed.
Keyboard/Mouse - Logistech K220 Wireless - 1,200
LG Blu-ray drive - 6,000
Total : 28,500

I know that the MB and processor are not latest but the PC is not going to be used for anything else than a media player.

Any suggestions on the build guys?

I have shortlisted the following build for the HTPC:

MB: Gigabyte GA-B75M-D3H - 4,500
Processor: Intel Pentium G2020 2.9 Ghz - 3,600
LG Blu-ray drive - 6,000

I know that the MB and processor are not latest but the PC is not going to be used for anything else than a media player.

Blu Ray drive might be a waste.
Do go through all the forums, you need a lot of software and tweaks to get it to work in order to play BR discs.

At best get an external USB powered BRD - available for around 5k (Samsung) .

Also there is another Logitech Keyb/Mouse comobo wireless which is smaller in size.
Dont remember the model number but it is as big as a laptop keyboard @ 1.9k

Last edited:
I have shortlisted the following build for the HTPC:

MB: Gigabyte GA-B75M-D3H - 4,500
Processor: Intel Pentium G2020 2.9 Ghz - 3,600
LG Blu-ray drive - 6,000

No need for Blu-ray or DVD drive unless there is going to be ripping of DVDs and Blu-rays. Instead I'd recommend a GPU, Intel HD Graphics are good, but a discrete GPU offers many more advantages, especially in terms of PQ.

Also, 4GB RAM might be cutting it short, but fine if you add a GPU.

Edit - In addition to the GPU, I would also sell your friend on adding a Roku 3. The amount of free/premium content it adds is amazing. It is the one thing (apart from Netflix) that has made me go back to my 50" Panny for regular TV viewing. Do sell him on a Roku 3 (dirt cheap for what it offers in return) and cancel the Blu-ray drive.

I would suggest a 2 TB minimum for HTPC, you are going to need that space anyway

+1, a minimum of 2TB, actually 3TB is a must. 4TB is available, but not the best bang for buck purchase right now.

I would strongly suggest you to look at these branded ones that you can get from US. They come at half the cost !!, same config but with better form factor..

Amazon.com: lenovo q190

Amazon.com: Acer RL80-UR23 Desktop (Black): Computers & Accessories

Lack of wireless AC is a limitation IMHO, Zotac offers better specs, better performance and wireless AC.

While you don't need the wireless AC for streaming content, it will surely come in handy when copying large files and it will definitely help from having to cart the mini PC around.

Personally, though I'm a fan of Zotac, having used a ZBOX, it works great even for gaming... though in a different price bracket.

@OP - Only question to be considered is absolutely no gaming and for something that works right out of the box go with a mini PC and my personal recommendation is a Zotac.

On the other hand if your friend desires the best PQ (and I would assume he does considering its going to be a PJ based setup) then go with a "proper" PC build. You can add a GPU and tweak to your hearts content with MPC HC, PotPlayer, madVR... maybe even SVP for a real HFR soap opera movie experience. I've used Zotac in the past and really loved it and it does 1080P extremely well, but however its no match for my PC with codecs, filters, madVR, etc. which make for the best media viewing experience at home.

Last edited:
Blu Ray drive might be a waste. Do go through all the forums, you need a lot of software and tweaks to get it to work in order to play BR discs.

The Blu-ray in my HTPC works without a flaw. There are no tweaks. The only software pieces you need are AnyDVD-HD and some software to play the discs. I would recommend PowerDVD, but you can use a number of other players. I think even VLC plays Blu-ray discs, though I am not sure. In my system PowerDVD is set to default the minute you insert a disc.

Cheers

The Blu-ray in my HTPC works without a flaw. There are no tweaks. The only software pieces you need are AnyDVD-HD and some software to play the discs. I would recommend PowerDVD, but you can use a number of other players. I think even VLC plays Blu-ray discs, though I am not sure. In my system PowerDVD is set to default the minute you insert a disc.

Cheers

Good for you , in my case I am running on Kodi OpenELEC. :)
Didn't go with windows.

Even otherwise these are not free software's so he needs to get them.

I, however, find this rather strange that wireless dlna is providing better quality than wired hdmi.

I did few tests yesterday and here are the results :-

1. Dell Inspiron 15 Laptop HDMI Out to AVR
2. Dell Inspiron 15 Laptop Analogue HeadPhone Out to AVR

Both of them had same quality which was worst compared to USB or DLNA Playback.

Did another test with my PC :-

1. Asus XONAR Essence STX TosLink Digital Out to AVR
2. Asus XONAR Essence STX 2 Channel Analogue OUt to AVR - To Be Done, Waiting for RCA cable

The Essence STX Digital out was at par with USB/DLNA playback but i felt the USB/DLNA has slight edge with more details. I will do the Analogue test tonight and will update the post.

So yes the USB/DLNA has better quality compared to other sources.

*** All of above tests were done with 320Kbps MP3.

2. Asus XONAR Essence STX 2 Channel Analogue OUt to AVR - To Be Done, Waiting for RCA cable

The Essence STX Digital out was at par with USB/DLNA playback but i felt the USB/DLNA has slight edge with more details. I will do the Analogue test tonight and will update the post.

First, doing a test with an MP3 is inadequate. Use a FLAC or a WAV file that has been ripped well, preferably 24/192. There are lots of samples available on the Net.

Second, if you have set it up properly, the analogue out of Asus Xonar Essence will beat most external DACs. If you are using an Asus Xonar card, the best is to use it's own DAC and just amplify the sound.

When you take a a digital out, the card does nothing but just acts as a gateway or conduit. The sound will depend on external processors.

Cheers

I did few tests yesterday and here are the results :-

1. Dell Inspiron 15 Laptop HDMI Out to AVR
2. Dell Inspiron 15 Laptop Analogue HeadPhone Out to AVR

Both of them had same quality which was worst compared to USB or DLNA Playback.

So yes the USB/DLNA has better quality compared to other sources.

*** All of above tests were done with 320Kbps MP3.
But as per my tests the hdmi out sounds much cleaner than the USB play.
Haven't been able to check dlna playback since I am not able to get it working properly.

Will check with more reference audio files and revert.

First, doing a test with an MP3 is inadequate. Use a FLAC or a WAV file that has been ripped well, preferably 24/192. There are lots of samples available on the Net.

I actually played 2-3 FLAC's as well from AR. Rahman Collection and the results were same.

Second, if you have set it up properly, the analogue out of Asus Xonar Essence will beat most external DACs. If you are using an Asus Xonar card, the best is to use it's own DAC and just amplify the sound.

That's what i know, i will do the analogue test tonight to compare with the Digital one.

When you take a a digital out, the card does nothing but just acts as a gateway or conduit. The sound will depend on external processors.

I used to think same but did a side by side test with my Laptop and SoundCard and the Card was clear winner.

I used to think same but did a side by side test with my Laptop and SoundCard and the Card was clear winner.

I did further testing the reason SoundCard's digital out was superior because of DSP, when turned off both sounded same.

I couldn't perform the Analogue test, unfortunately when i tried only Left Channel has output Right channel is bricked and is not outputting any audio signal.

I have been using The Essence STX card in my PC since 2013 with Logitech Z5500 but since past 4-5 months i didn't use it except for headphone out. Not sure since when the Right Analogue channel stopped working.

I would suggest a 2 TB minimum for HTPC, you are going to need that space anyway

My friend already has ample external HDs. So I think 1 TB should be more than enough.

I would strongly suggest you to look at these branded ones that you can get from US. They come at half the cost !!, same config but with better form factor..

Amazon.com: lenovo q190

http://www.amazon.com/Acer-RL80-UR2...UTF8&qid=1423718411&sr=8-2&keywords=acer+revo

I have decided to go with a conventional PC build only because the case would be hidden anyway and the system will be tweak-able in the future. Thanks for the suggestion though. :)

Blu Ray drive might be a waste.
Do go through all the forums, you need a lot of software and tweaks to get it to work in order to play BR discs.

At best get an external USB powered BRD - available for around 5k (Samsung) .

Also there is another Logitech Keyb/Mouse comobo wireless which is smaller in size.
Dont remember the model number but it is as big as a laptop keyboard @ 1.9k

Thanks for the heads up! I did go through a lot of threads and IMHO internal bluray should not prove to be a problem. It only requires installing a few drivers/softwares which should not be an issue.

No need for Blu-ray or DVD drive unless there is going to be ripping of DVDs and Blu-rays. Instead I'd recommend a GPU, Intel HD Graphics are good, but a discrete GPU offers many more advantages, especially in terms of PQ.

Also, 4GB RAM might be cutting it short, but fine if you add a GPU.

Edit - In addition to the GPU, I would also sell your friend on adding a Roku 3. The amount of free/premium content it adds is amazing. It is the one thing (apart from Netflix) that has made me go back to my 50" Panny for regular TV viewing. Do sell him on a Roku 3 (dirt cheap for what it offers in return) and cancel the Blu-ray drive.

+1, a minimum of 2TB, actually 3TB is a must. 4TB is available, but not the best bang for buck purchase right now.

Lack of wireless AC is a limitation IMHO, Zotac offers better specs, better performance and wireless AC.

While you don't need the wireless AC for streaming content, it will surely come in handy when copying large files and it will definitely help from having to cart the mini PC around.

Personally, though I'm a fan of Zotac, having used a ZBOX, it works great even for gaming... though in a different price bracket.

@OP - Only question to be considered is absolutely no gaming and for something that works right out of the box go with a mini PC and my personal recommendation is a Zotac.

On the other hand if your friend desires the best PQ (and I would assume he does considering its going to be a PJ based setup) then go with a "proper" PC build. You can add a GPU and tweak to your hearts content with MPC HC, PotPlayer, madVR... maybe even SVP for a real HFR soap opera movie experience. I've used Zotac in the past and really loved it and it does 1080P extremely well, but however its no match for my PC with codecs, filters, madVR, etc. which make for the best media viewing experience at home.

My friend has a huge collection of Blurays so he'll kill me if I don't install a blu-ray drive in the HTPC. :p

The roku 3 is a nice add-on though. Will pitch it for sure to my friend.

As far as zotac is considered, I was very tempted to pick it up for him, but the only thing that's stopping me now is future upgrade-ability. I will be better off with a conventional PC. 4 GB RAM is cutting it too short, but I can add another one anytime thanks to amazon one day delivery. :)

I will trouble you again though with the tweaks you mentioned once I get the rig together. I hope you wouldn't mind!

Cheers

Thanks for the input sir. I will have an internal blu-ray player for sure.

I tested with some files from Society of Sound.
Hdmi and DLNA sound almost identical to me.
And I felt that both are superior to USB playback.

Got the rig together guys! Will post reviews once my friend gets the ht set up. Thanks a lot for your help!

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back