Help to buy amplifier for Modern Audio RX8

Ck77

Help to buy amplifier for Monitor Audio RX8

Hi!

This is my first time here and going by the info available on the forum I thought this might be another great place to meet a lot more like minded, knowledgeable people and get some really good advice.

I just bought a pair of Modern audio RX8, actually was not completely my decision to buy as I had the help of a close relative who has a lot of info about pure audio.

I am looking for a suitable amplifier to drive these floor standers (RX8), and would gradually build on it. My budget is around 50K however I am not too keen on spending the whole amount on buying an integrated amplifier but if that is the best option then have to. I was recommended the below & have checked on the prices

NAD:
356BEE 48K
356DAC 58K

Onkyo:
A 9050 30K (DAC)
A 8050 39K (networked)

I must also mention I have auditioned the RX8 with a Marantz 5004 and a lower model NAD (Not sure of the exact model, it was a 50W amplifier) and the NAD sounded leaps and bounds better than the Marantz. The Marantz was extremely flat and lifeless for me whereas there was a lot of depth in the audio from the NAD. I am unable to audition the Onkyo in Chennai before buying

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Last edited:
the nad pairs well with the monitor audio. the sound is a little warm. sweet highs, full and musical mids, good sound separation. the bass is big though not tight and a little distant. this all makes for extremely low listening fatigue.

on repuation alone i wouldnt suggest the onkyo. the other amps to look at are the cambridge and the monitor audio.

50k is on the lower side for an amp for these speakers. though they are easy to drive once you start playing it loud you would need the headroom to maintain clarity. the 356 will do well for regular listening. i do not have any knowledge on the diff between the bee and the bee dac.

what sort of music to you listen to. can you do an audition on your speakers.

the nad pairs well with the monitor audio. the sound is a little warm. sweet highs, full and musical mids, good sound separation. the bass is big though not tight and a little distant. this all makes for extremely low listening fatigue.

on repuation alone i wouldnt suggest the onkyo. the other amps to look at are the cambridge and the monitor audio.

50k is on the lower side for an amp for these speakers. though they are easy to drive once you start playing it loud you would need the headroom to maintain clarity. the 356 will do well for regular listening. i do not have any knowledge on the diff between the bee and the bee dac.

what sort of music to you listen to. can you do an audition on your speakers.
Thanks afj,

The difference in the 2 NAD models is a built in DAC and a cost difference of 10K.
I have requested the dealer for an audition of the NAD but the chances are less.

Do you think the prices for the NAD are correct?

Music type is very diverse from Electronic to Jazz to Instrumentals.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back