Help totally confused!!!!!!

manveer

Currently I am listening to music on a Denon 29F turntable + Yamaha RX-457 Amplifier + Yamaha NS-555 speakers.
Lately I have felt the need to upgrade and decided to start with the turntable as it would incur a high cost and is to be the only source.
But then confusion set in. reasons for that being:

1. Should one go for MC or MM type stylus?

2. Belt Drive or Direct Drive?

Having read many reviews I compiled an exhaustive list to choose from and now need help. The list of choices are:

- Clear Audio: Concept MC / Concept MM / Emotion
- Denon: DP-300 / DP-500 / DP-A100
- Linn Sondek: LP-12
- Pro-Ject: Essential / Debut III / RPM / Expression
- Rega: RP1 / RP3 / RP5 / RP7 / RP9
- Sota: Moonbeam / Comet / Sattelite
- Technics SL 1200 Mk5
- Thorens TD 309 / TD 295 MK IV / TD 240 / TD 235 / TD 190-2B
- VPI Scout/JMW-9T / Scout2

Now the question I am faced with is twofold.
1. Which amongst them is a best buy irrespective of price and would give me a life time player?
2. Which amongst them is a steady base for upgrading gradually to achieve a state of bliss?

Please help!!!!!

Currently I am listening to music on a Denon 29F turntable + Yamaha RX-457 Amplifier + Yamaha NS-555 speakers.
Lately I have felt the need to upgrade and decided to start with the turntable as it would incur a high cost and is to be the only source.
But then confusion set in. reasons for that being:

1. Should one go for MC or MM type stylus?

2. Belt Drive or Direct Drive?

Having read many reviews I compiled an exhaustive list to choose from and now need help. The list of choices are:

- Clear Audio: Concept MC / Concept MM / Emotion
- Denon: DP-300 / DP-500 / DP-A100
- Linn Sondek: LP-12
- Pro-Ject: Essential / Debut III / RPM / Expression
- Rega: RP1 / RP3 / RP5 / RP7 / RP9
- Sota: Moonbeam / Comet / Sattelite
- Technics SL 1200 Mk5
- Thorens TD 309 / TD 295 MK IV / TD 240 / TD 235 / TD 190-2B
- VPI Scout/JMW-9T / Scout2

Now the question I am faced with is twofold.
1. Which amongst them is a best buy irrespective of price and would give me a life time player?
2. Which amongst them is a steady base for upgrading gradually to achieve a state of bliss?

Please help!!!!!

I would suggest the Rega RP3 with a MC cartridge. The Thorens TD309 is a fancy belt-drive, definitely not worth the money it costs, Technics SL1200 is a winner but extremely expensive and hard to find (new), while older 1200 could have been worked to death by DJ owners

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back