Help! Urgent! Dali Ikon 6 or B&W 603 s3?

malvai

Banned
Banned
Hi all!
Need a quick suggestion. I have a ROTEL RB 1080 power amp (200 wpc RMS)

been searching for a pair of speakers for it.

Have figured out two good deals... - a pair of brand new Dali Ikon 6's for 50k and a pair of 4 year old B&W 603 S3's for 45k.

Now, since i have to make a 'deaf' choice on this, I presume the Dali's are a better deal as they are fully 3-way, though at 6 ohm. (BTW does 6 ohm vs 8 ohm make a diff?)

-M

At 200wpc or anywhere near that amp rating, you need not worry about 8 or 6ohms, it may be able to drive even 4ohm speakers.

Hi all!

Have figured out two good deals... - a pair of brand new Dali Ikon 6's for 50k and a pair of 4 year old B&W 603 S3's for 45k.

Now, since i have to make a 'deaf' choice on this, I presume the Dali's are a better deal as they are fully 3-way, though at 6 ohm. (BTW does 6 ohm vs 8 ohm make a diff?)

-M
can you tell me where r u getting the dali for that price. I am looking for speakers for my friend. at this price, getting it shipped also wont be a bad option.

At 200wpc or anywhere near that amp rating, you need not worry about 8 or 6ohms, it may be able to drive even 4ohm speakers.

+1 to that.that kind of rating will drive pretty much anything out there.enjoy.do let us knw what spkrs u decide on.cheers

Thans ya all! And from everyone's replies I gather that Dali is the one to go for! Isn't it?

But where in Mumbai are U getting the Dali Ikon 6 for 50K??
When I checked last month the price was 74K:sad:

Regards,

Francis

Regards,

Francis

Malvai, u r 1 lucky dude if u get for 50K, spanking new piece. have not listened to B&W but by judging frm my limited scope of judging spaekers and reviews on both, just buy Dali Ikon 6.

BUT bass would be severly lacking, IMHO.

Do not delay, if u r getting this for the price, just buy it, can add a decent SUB later. All the best.

Regards,

Francis

dude, a dealer in delhi is a friend.... its a demo piece ;-)

will as him and let you know if there are more of 'em!

Hi Malvai

I am using a Dali Ikon 2 speakers and sound is very good. Ikon 6 is also a great speaker, I auditioned the ikon 6 and the Monitor Audio RS 6 and liked the sound of Ikon . Since my room is small i went on to buy the ikon2 , The ikon 6 lacks the low bass which the B&W is capable of and if you love the Mids then B&W should be your choice . For the Rotel amplifier B&W is a good pair . Both are good speakers , it depends on what type of sound you are looking for.

Vijay.

Hi:

Very good purchase of that excellent speakers. Recently, I heard the Ikon 6 with Naim 5 amp and cdp in the UK, and Ikon 6 were just stunning in SQ across the frequency spectrum. I have the RS6, and people generally compare them both coz both won awards respectively, but IMO Ikon 6 were just sweet speakers to listen to. Ikon 6 had everything that RS 6 has, and I felt the Ikon 6 had a more tighter bass and right amount of bass needed for the music, may be the RS6 went a little deeper, thats it. They were just huge speakers and it looks beautiful to look at without the grille in the living room. The Naim was driving the 6s so beautifully, which I thought was missing in my setup, amazing sonics.

:)

Last edited:
Hi all!

-M

Hi 45K for a 4 year old B&W 603 S3 is silly, 35K is closer to fair price.
I sold a 1 year old 603 in 2007 to a forum member for 40/42K. The list price then was 60K and i had paid about 52K
Sonically i would prefer the B&W. Its not great as a speaker but the Dali is a bit too polite for some of my music. Its also a trifle forward. It lacks bite/snap for me at times.
But keeping the price and age of both the dali seems a better buy.
I would not just go by the 3 way over a 2 1/2 way as that can be a disadvantage as well!!!!!!!! Its not too esay to succesfully make a good 3 way design in a budget.
A deaf choice (as u put it) is always tricky but then u already know that!!!!
6 ohms is not a problem, will draw more current so if the power supply is robust, there is no issue. The Rotel will handle anything. Its more when the speaker really dips that can make an amplifier struggle and i cant say i have too much info on the Dalis curve as i never really considered it.
Rgds

B&W pricing seems higher. This is one shortcoming with the brand itself. Owners/sellers tend to think that they can price it higher than the norm. With your choices, I would look a bit more into the Dali. Are you able to audition both these at your home? If so, I woudl encourage that strongly.

If you like some ' thump ' in your music or bass; Dali is not for you.
I heard the Dali with Primare Pre=power combo; and i felt it flat to hear though precise and good at high frequencies.
A 4 yr old spk would not be a great deal; a new B&W even a 685 will satisfy you and give years of joy.

So i think you must think what speakers you can get for 40-50k new or used.
Look at Mordunt Short Aviano or Wharfedale Diamond 10 series spk.

A deal is not always a good solution.

If you like some ' thump ' in your music or bass; Dali is not for you.
I heard the Dali with Primare Pre=power combo; and i felt it flat to hear though precise and good at high frequencies.
A 4 yr old spk would not be a great deal; a new B&W even a 685 will satisfy you and give years of joy.

So i think you must think what speakers you can get for 40-50k new or used.
Look at Mordunt Short Aviano or Wharfedale Diamond 10 series spk.

A deal is not always a good solution.

Point taken.... know of any people selling any of these brands????

hi malvai

as you can see from all the replies, asking people for their opinion is a confusing business :)

i personally don't like b&w, especially the 6 and 7 series. i find them sluggish in the bass and lacking in detail. the dalis, on the other hand, i like a lot.

however, that's my experience, and that's not what you should be counting on. instead, take a closer look at the pricing. even if you do prefer the sound of the b&w, paying 45k for a speaker that's selling 2nd hand for less than 20k is a bit much. for that kind of money, there's far better elsewhere. and the ikon 6 at 50k is proof of that.

one caveat: you say the ikon 6 is ex-dem. make sure you check on their condition before making a move.

Are you saying that 4 yr old speakers are not good because of technology/performance or price? A number of speakers older than 4 years that can still deliver top class performance.

Are you saying that 4 yr old speakers are not good because of technology/performance or price? A number of speakers older than 4 years that can still deliver top class performance.

Marsilians, I meant that speakers should be a long term investment.
You can keep upgrading/changing your electronics but speakers would serve you for years. So a new speaker will go more years instead of 4 yr old and also the seller should have kept it in good condtion.
One of my speakers are also more than 4 yrs old; give top class performance and i wont sell them for anything.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back