Help...WDTV - No DTS Audio from MKVs

techcheat

Guys I have bought WDTV connected to my Optoma HD66 via HDMI and Toslink to my AVR (VSX-817-K (Archived) - Pioneer Europe). I am getting no audio when I play MKV files with DTS. I am using standard firmware. My assumption was that WDTV can do DTS passthrough and if your decoder can decode DTS you should be good to go... Its not happening. Please advise..

A second not so important issue is that my video output keeps resetting to composite on reboot from HDMI. I have read the workaround on WDTV forum that you can learn the button sequence on remote to reset it back to HDMI without looking at the screen... Like (down+enter+down+enter+down+down+down+down+enter) to set it to 720p... yet to try out. Is there a cleaner alternative. It seems my Optoma and WDTV cant auto negotiate the resolution and therefore WDTV resets to composite.

As stated issue 1 is most important. I dont want to end up converting all my files to AC3.

The link for my WDTV: Amazon.com: Western Digital WDTV Full HD Media Player - Recertified: Electronics

P.S. If I dont want wifi do I really need to flash my firmware?

Guys I have bought WDTV connected to my Optoma HD66 via HDMI and Toslink to my AVR (VSX-817-K (Archived) - Pioneer Europe). I am getting no audio when I play MKV files with DTS.

The solution seems to lie here (from another forum)

"I think I can help on this. I've had this problem for 2 weeks and even sent mine back for an RMA only to find the same problem. Basically about 3 weeks ago, when I'd try to load a MKV file, it'd sit at the spinning circle. Trying to play older files that worked previously would also get the spinning wheel. If I did a hard reset, my older mkvs would play but a new mkv would start the problem.

The problem is that the newer versions of mkvmerge (either 4.0 on or 4.1 on) do some header compression. If the player plays an MKV created with the newer versions, it'll crap it out. So to fix, use MediaInfo to check the version of mkvmerge your file was made with. If it's with a 4.x version, use the MKV merge program to remux it:
- on each tracks/chapters & tags line, highlight it, choose the "extra options" tab and under compression choose "none".
- Then hit the "start muxing" button and it'll remux it.

There's some other files that will automate the process and all this info is posted on other WDTV boards, but I figure cross linking is frowned upon.

Scott
"

Also follow this very useful link

Last edited:
For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back