Help ... Which amp to buy???

gautamz

I want to upgrade my system and keep trawling Ebay and Audiogon to try and pick up a good amplifier...

Currently stuff I have identified that is within my budget,
01) Carver TFM 45
02) Carver AV-806x
03) Classe CA100
04) Proceed BPA-2
05) Adcom GFA 555 MKII
06) Acurus A250
07) McCormack DNA 0.5
08) Aleph 5 monoblocks
09) B&K Reference 2220
10) B&K AV-5125
11) Quad 909

While each of the above has excellent reviews I am stuck not being able to audition them. Thus I am unable to decide amongst these. So seeking help here...

Please tell me,
Which of these have you heard? What are your thoughts on them?
Is there any new amp you would recommend over these?
Should I add some more money and try to pick up a used Krell or Conrad Johnson or Mcintosh or similar (a Mac pre/power is available within my budget at Bangalore)?

If anyone has any of these in Bombay, I would be grateful if you would let me audition it.

My budget for a new amp right now extends to INR 60-65K.

Anyone has a Nakamichi PA7? I have heard the PA5 and that amp totally did it for me... unfortunately it was not for sale.

Any advice would be welcome and much appreciated.

Look for AV MAX Dec 2009 issue and I think they have given a Nak P7 for sale at the end of the mag......heard it some times back and its good wanted to buy it from a friend of mine but was turned down ......:sad:

Thanks for the info about AV Max , I'll look into that.

I think the Quad 909 is an amp I can audition in Bombay... I intend to try and get one.
The McCormack is tempting , moreso because getting it will leave quite a bit left over in my budget :)

The more I read about Nelson Pass' designs the more I am intrigued.
I have recently learnt that I don't need an amp pumping 200watts for my music to sound big and get my pulse racing. Also for me the quality of the music reproduction is more important than how loud it plays.
Hence pure Class A and SET tube amps interest me a lot, except they totally bust my budget... so I'd like an audition before I go for them.

OR maybe I could do a DIY First Watt F5, tho I am at level zero (like Po in Kung-fu Panda :)) of electronic DIY.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back