Help with choosing wires for internal wiring

atharva

Hi All,

What wires (guage/single or multi-strand/tin plated etc.) is well suited for internal wiring, specifically
- mains to power switch
- pcb to input/output connectors
- pcb to LEDs or other "Indicators"
- any other wiring

Any preferred brand? Available online?

BTW, what can CAT 5 cable be used for?

Other accessories I can think of
1. Rubber insulation to cover terminals (input/output connectors)? What is the proper name for this?
2. Plastic cords to tie wires
3. Any shields like in the attached pic?

Thanks in advance,
- Ravi

Attachments

• wires3.jpg
    wires3.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 87
Last edited:
Hi All,

What wires (guage/single or multi-strand/tin plated etc.) is well suited for internal wiring, specifically
- mains to power switch
- pcb to input/output connectors
- pcb to LEDs or other "Indicators"
- any other wiring

Any preferred brand? Available online?

BTW, what can CAT 5 cable be used for?

Other accessories I can think of
1. Rubber insulation to cover terminals (input/output connectors)? What is the proper name for this?
2. Plastic cords to tie wires
3. Any shields like in the attached pic?

Thanks in advance,
- Ravi
Hi,
I have used short length of twisted pair of CAT 5 cable for in/out leads in all my build.They are easy to solder,having good quality copper inside and perfect for PCB soldering.

Regards,
Sachin

- mains to power switch >>> home wiring wires, twisted pair
- pcb to input/output connectors >>> twisted pair of CAT5 strands
- pcb to LEDs or other "Indicators" >>> twisted pair of CAT5 strands

1. Rubber insulation to cover terminals (input/output connectors)? What is the proper name for this? >>> heat shrink
2. Plastic cords to tie wires >>> cable ties
3. Any shields like in the attached pic? >>> techflex

In Pune, go towards Pasodya Vithoba temple, Budhwar Peth. You have Moti Stores on right side and Trio on Left. You will get most of the stuff at Moti, one stop shopping.

You can see my builds posted here, has almost all the stuff you desire.

I would leave cat-5 cable to the network engineers, for whom it is very specifically designed to carry digital ethernet signals. It's differing twists are exactly calculated to cut down on interference between the pairs. That it is very good at doing that particular task seems to lead to assumptions that it is good at other tasks too. It might be: but I don't see why it should be.

I do not know how much power it will handle, but isn't there a power-over-ethernet standard, so I guess this is documented. The conductors are not very thick.

If you have some anyway, and you need to take several pairs, low power, from one place to another, I guess it's neat.

power cables
signal cables
amplified signal cable

what gauge is needed for these. shielded or non. ptfe, pvc. twisted or not. heatshrinked, techflexed. stranded, non stranded. silver coated, copper? too many questions:).

dont internal cables (say pcb to rca) alter the signal like the external ones (say pre to power amp) do? I dont hear people talking about these.

Last edited:
Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back