Help with Configuring Floor standing speakers

aaryan

Hello all

Joining new to the forum, hoping you guys can help

I recently switched to Onkyo NR929 Av receiever primarily for my requirement of 4K video upscaling.

My configuration
Speakers: Swan HiVi M08
Amplifier: Rotel 1095
AV Receiver : Onkyo NR929
Media Source : HTPC with XBMC (Audio files primarily Flac and Video in various formats)
Surround and Center Speakers : Paradigm Millenia 3.0

Speaker Connection: I have bimaped my speakers with Pre out from Onkyo into the Rotel

Issue: I have run the setup few many times and no matter what i try as my speakers are 3 Way speaker and i am not using the subwoofer the setup is making the sound too boomy, the bass is not tight and while for most musing (jazz/country and easy listening) the audio is good but anything that has a big higher bass sound the sound is unpleasant

Can anyone in the forum help me please - or is my only option is to add a subwoofer, my preference is to not use the sub as the speaker have builtin 8" woofers

Onkyo receiver has the option for digital crossover setup whihc was one more reason i bought it but i cant seem to get it right

Issue: I have run the setup few many times and no matter what i try as my speakers are 3 Way speaker and i am not using the subwoofer the setup is making the sound too boomy, the bass is not tight and while for most musing (jazz/country and easy listening) the audio is good but anything that has a big higher bass sound the sound is unpleasant

Hello aaryan,

IMHO it's your speaker- and listening position as well as your room acoustic and has nothing to do with your speakers (specs wise they are fine). Probably your are listening in an area of your room where low frequencies meeting together resulting in a "boomy" and unprecise bass or the position of your Swans (ie in a corner, close to a wall etc) making the whole bass "not tight".

I would recommend to follow manufacturers' instructions how to place their speakers (if they have) and to step into general speaker set-ups and room modes (if you haven't done it yet).

Helpful if you give us some idea about your room the set-up is working (ie size, speaker and listening position, interior (particularly absorbing stuff) etc.)

At this stage and with your information I'm doubting sub-woofers will help you out unless you are considering a DBA.

Cheers

You should check speaker manual and also receivers manual, and see how bi-amp is suggested. I mean the wire connections which goes in front and the mid-Twitters in rear or top channel connection. May be wrong connection might be an issue.

Also wrong phase +- could be issue too.
Did you turn your speaker size to large? In speaker configure? Make it small.
And last thing you may use carpet and then put speakers on that and see how sound comes.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back