Help with Grundig Amp/Tape Deck & Akai Reel to Reel

I hate to ask this foolish question, but how does one paste pictures here? Every time i click on insert image it asks for a URL. Does one have to post elsewhere first?

Akai GXC 39.

Too tough to upload photos man. Browser just stops the session. Posting link. Amazed that so many people post photos easily and I am struggling like this.

Last edited:
Simplest way to post photos is to sign up with imageshack.com. upload your photos to imageshack. Once you upload it, each photo will have a unique URL for posting in forums. You can even choose thumbnail or full size URLs. Copy the URL text. Paste URL i n your post. Preview post. Post.

Akai GXC 39. This has a tone control for recording which the GXC39D does not have. Amazing quality, cannot distinguish between CD and tape whether in soundstage, detail, virtually in any way.

Akai GXC 39. This has a tone control for recording which the GXC39D does not have. Amazing quality, cannot distinguish between CD and tape whether in soundstage, detail, virtually in any way.

amazing....the good ol' GXC39....memories!

the one i've seen and we've recorded so many of our cassettes on, was the "D" I guess as it had only 2 rec volume sliders.

Last edited:
by the way, thanks to coaltrain, i now have the GX630D sitting on my rack, powers on but yet to play it...dont have an empty take up spool.

thanks, reuben, for that wonderful message you sent as you were leaving b'lore. I passed it on to the lady in question and she was deeply touched by your words :)

I've received numerous PMs asking about the kit, so please take note:
reuben has picked up all 3 items and I look forward to seeing a post from him soon, once it's up and running.

wish you all the best, reuben, and thanks once again!

Must admit I am stumped. I just saw this post. The pics I posted are gone. Coaltrain's pix I can see on my iPhone. Coaltrain, how did you post the pix? Using the method recommended by JLS001? Or directly without using imageshack (I think the pictures vanish after 72 hours). Did you have so many problems? I shot my pictures on the lowest resolution I could manage on my Nikon D90, but a direct upload still would not happen. A very annoying experience.

@ gerry

for this post, i used the attachment icon that appears when you compose a reply. it shows up as a paperclip in the top row.
on the 'tube light' thread, i followed jls001's helpful instructions in this thread. it's a better option as there's no upload limit, and the pix look much better.

Many thanks Rajesh, I had limited time and we could not meet. Thanks for the kind words.

Meanwhile, I arrived home like Santa Claus with quite a few boxes. Was amazed to find that all the stuff (both Santhosh's and your's) was splendidly packed. Felt like I was opening up a new Akai R2R box. The most exciting part was to take the R2R out of its box. Ran a check on the open tapes, a few of them got a big un-wound. Carefully re-wound the loose tape ensuring that not even a small crease appreared on the tape. When I get home today, I'm going to set about making a temporary spool and then i'll transfer the entire tape from one of the spools to it. This will free up one spool for me and I can test the recorder. I fired it up and checked the source section, it apparently works. Connected the output to my tape inputs on the preamp, heard a bit of hum, guess the filter caps need a change...will post progress. The weekend is reserved for the B&Ws. Thanks once again.

thanks, reuben, for that wonderful message you sent as you were leaving b'lore. I passed it on to the lady in question and she was deeply touched by your words :)

I've received numerous PMs asking about the kit, so please take note:
reuben has picked up all 3 items and I look forward to seeing a post from him soon, once it's up and running.

wish you all the best, reuben, and thanks once again!

I'm going to sit down with the R2R, tonight. Don't have a take up spool so I'll have to free up, one of the tape-spools that I have. Will sit down today and make a temporary cardboard spool and then carefully unwind the tape from one of the existing spools and free it up for use as a take-up spool, after which, will start my oddessey with the open reel experience. Can't wait for tonight.

Carefully transferred all the tape from one of the reels to a carboard reel (which I made) for temporary tape storage. Set up the reel deck and fired it up. As instructed by Akai, held back the right tape guide, triggering the motor sensor and was able to check the fast forward, re-wind and play functions without loading the tape. Then the time came to try out the actual tape itself. Got he tape set up through the head cluster, tape guides (and capstan/pinch roller) and the take-up reel. Pressed fast forward and it worked, pressed re-wind and it worked (a bit slow though), pressed play and no action, the take up spool is possibly too tight on tension. Need to take a closer look, next update coming soon. Thanks

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back