Help with Grundig Amp/Tape Deck & Akai Reel to Reel

Coaltrain, see if you can prise off the head cover above the two VU meters to get a close up of the heads. You should be able to take this off easily.

Very true, also finding someone to actually repair these complex machines in India is quite difficult. Not too many would have actually seen one like this. From the pictures, the condition looks quite good, looks like the pinch-roller has never been cleaned (but looks in decent shape), very slight wear and minor spots noticeable on the front panel (possibly due to storage or its the camera flash doing its tricks). Overall, if the price is right and it is in working condition, i'd love to have this on my rack at home. A R2R is the last bit in the puzzle for me. Once I have this hole plugged, I would consider my audio setup complete...can just sit back and enjoy my gear for the rest of my life :)

@ Rajesh, dont think i'll be that hard for you to actually get it to play. The user manual which you sent to me is very descriptive. I was able to understand how to set it up (of course, I've seen the actual R2Rs working, before). You'll need an empty take-up spool to play any of those tapes that you have.

Reuben, good points. TTs are good examples. A Garrard 301 sells for 1500GBP (enamel, oil, machine only) on eBay internationally, but in India around Rs40k, which would make it 33% of international price. And much simpler to get working than the murderously complicated reel decks. For a Revox, even a pinch roller can cost $35.

I would only take a deck which is in perfect or acceptable working condition. No ability to "restore". Besides, to what end? Tape project tapes need deck modding, are horrendously expensive (more than the decks at times).

I would buy a machine to record into for copying LPs that I can borrow into an unbroken 90 min sequence without losing the analog charm. And if I got lucky with pre-recorded tapes.

One can do endless A/Bs...imagine getting an original LP and reel tape of the same concert...

Another one would be between the phono stage you use and using the Akai as the phono...

One can do endless A/Bs...imagine getting an original LP and reel tape of the same concert...

Another one would be between the phono stage you use and using the Akai as the phono...

yes indeed. btw, i have this habit of making compilations of our (wife's and mine) favourite tracks from our LPs on cassette (Nak DR3 used for the purpose) and play them back in our car. We also listen to these cassettes at home. It would be interesting to do this on R2R. Also, I am keen about R2R because of the Mic inputs. My wife and eldest son (5 yr old) try their hand at singing every now and then. Would be interesting to make some analogue family recordings on tape.

In case I am not able to pick this one up, will keep my plans on hold for now and pick one up when I visit the US or UK next time.

I have considered us and uk it but held off because even in India if one looks around there are good pieces springing up now and them with few takers. Last year I had paid a pretty packet for a beautiful pioneer rt909 which was personally inspected by me but things went wrong at the last intent

But a high quality reel deck is on my crosshairs too. But long way to go before I can consider the job finished in terms of completing my set up in digital, vinyl and reel. All must be taken to the highest level.

I have considered us and uk it but held off because even in India if one looks around there are good pieces springing up now and them with few takers. Last year I had paid a pretty packet for a beautiful pioneer rt909 which was personally inspected by me but things went wrong at the last intent

The RT909 is a beauty. I've heard this one play, in person.

I may have taken the wrong example with a 301. It may be close to 50% if one goes by a 401. Jazz tapes also with mystery person whose I'd is forgotten and who does not want them. Still trying.

Wonder why nobody is talking about that Grundig Cassette deck. It was one of Grundig's best!! I've used Grundig equipment in the past, they're built like tanks!!

Reuben. thanks for reminding. I am certainly interested in Grundig CF5500-2. Coaltrain, will email you. For the present, please insert me in queue of interested people.

hi folks

apologies for the delayed response, but the past few days have been pretty hectic.

update on the r2r:
a forum member from b'lore has got in touch with me, and plans to drop by in the coming week to examine the deck. will appraise all of his comments once we meet.

grundig tape deck:
giri, as per your request, here are a few pix of the tape deck. as far as i can tell, it will definitely require some work to get it up to spec. it does make quite a racket while in ff/rewind!
unfortunately, i don't have any cassettes or phono leads to check the working of the player. the latter may sound weird, but my hifi rig uses XLRs and my home theatre setup uses hdmi.

grundig amp:
this one also looks to be in need of some work. it lights up when switched on, but the need for DIN cables means testing it is out. am trying to procure the right cables, but in the meantime some pix are given below.

as the amp and tape deck seem to be in sub-optimal shape, i'd be happy to part with them for free. perhaps, some avid hifi enthusiast will be able to put them to better use.

for the record (no pun intended!), giri will have first dibs on the tape deck. if anyone would like to make a token contribution to HFV (no matter how small) while picking up either machine, i'm sure the gesture will be appreciated by all. note that it's entirely up to you; i won't insist on it.

one final note: all these items are for pickup only, from b'lore. i will not be able to courier.

Last edited:
I may manage to snag an akai gxc 39d in mint condition. It has a very lovely vintage look with a wooden casing. Must however test it. If ok will serve the purpose of digitizing all pre-recorded cassettes which I have been postponing since I have a double cassette technics deck which is competent but not in this league. Ideally one should not play PR cassettes at all on high end decks with their propensity to leave behind residue on the heads but we are at the end of a cycle I suppose.

I may manage to snag an akai gxc 39d in mint condition. It has a very lovely vintage look with a wooden casing. Must however test it. If ok will serve the purpose of digitizing all pre-recorded cassettes which I have been postponing since I have a double cassette technics deck which is competent but not in this league. Ideally one should not play PR cassettes at all on high end decks with their propensity to leave behind residue on the heads but we are at the end of a cycle I suppose.

Hey, the GXC39d is a legend, we used to have tonnes of tapes recorded on one in the late 1970s, early 1980s. I still remember its meters.

Bagged it. Find of the year. A truly majestic piece with an almost untarnished look. Exceptional recording and playback. 100% functional.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back