Help with HT buying

papa7

This forum has a lot of threads singing praises of Yamaha YHT 196 and 299 and also mentioning its unavailibility.
Reliance Digital is selling 196 at 23K; 299 at 37K (with BR player I think) and 1810 at 32K. It also has Boston soundware at 30K (HT Mart has it at 33K)

I have the following questions:

1. Which of the above is most preferable
2. If I have the option of getting AVR from USA will that be a better thing to do even though it might turn out more expensive than the htib.
3. Which AVR to go for if I get it from USA. A little older models might be cheaper if available. And what speakers should I pair that AVR with. The speakers I would have to get locally of course as that would be too much to ask anyone to bring.

I am not an audiophile but a total noob. My main needs are watching cable tv and movies and that too not action stuff. But I still want the whole 5.1 deal and not only the fronts.
My room size is 12x20 with an additional open dining room, so in effect an ell shaped room. The tv is on the open dining room wall.

One of the shop dealers had told me I would need a sub with at least 150 watts power. That's one of the reasons I wonder if any of the abovementioned htib s would be good for me.

Am confused and really need all the help I can get in deciding.

I'd think 25000 each. If at all I go for Yamaha 299 it would cost me around 37000 so if I put in a little extra and get the avr from USA I'd get maybe a little better product. These are my thoughts but need advice on it.
Again, I don't want something really fancy and expensive. I don't want to build slowly and I don't want second hand.

I'd think 25000 each. If at all I go for Yamaha 299 it would cost me around 37000 so if I put in a little extra and get the avr from USA I'd get maybe a little better product. These are my thoughts but need advice on it.
Again, I don't want something really fancy and expensive. I don't want to build slowly and I don't want second hand.

You would get a Yamaha 6xx series in US for $400... For 25K speaker budget, you can consider Micca BS speakers in amazon.in for really very cheap prices.. At-best you would get a 5.0 setup for 21K...Later you can add a sub..

You would get a Yamaha 6xx series in US for $400... For 25K speaker budget, you can consider Micca BS speakers in amazon.in for really very cheap prices.. At-best you would get a 5.0 setup for 21K...Later you can add a sub..

Frankly I haven't heard of Micca. Are they any good? Amazon has it under car speakers:confused:
Wouldn't I be better off with Boston at 30000. It will have the sub too. Apparently Energy Take Classic is also selling at around 400$ and has a 200w sub. But it would be too much to ask anyone to bring:sad:

So you think I am better off getting seperates rather than going for Yamaha 299?

Frankly I haven't heard of Micca. Are they any good? Amazon has it under car speakers:confused:
Wouldn't I be better off with Boston at 30000. It will have the sub too. Apparently Energy Take Classic is also selling at around 400$ and has a 200w sub. But it would be too much to ask anyone to bring:sad:

So you think I am better off getting seperates rather than going for Yamaha 299?

Me too haven't heard Micca... Since the price on Amazon.in was too good, suggested them.. You really don't get a brand new book shelf speakers for 8K...

Try to read some online reviews of that speakers MB42.. Should give you an rough idea...

Bringing AVR is easier than speakers, because of the sheer size.....

Yes.. If you can get seperates for 50K, why settle for HTIB?

I came across Yamaha RX V677 on Amazon for about 380$. Though it has specs far more than my needs, the deal breaker for me is this feature that it has " Dialogue Lift and Dialogue Level Adjustment for natural dialogue and vocals".
Since I mainly watch cable tv and English movies with lots of drama rather than action, I feel this one is perfect for me as many a times I miss out on the dialogues and have to rely on the subtitles which is distracting.
Has anyone either used or demoed this model. Please do tell me if this one is a good choice.

Very dissappointed with lack of response to my queries by the FM s out here. Am undecided about what to buy since I had high hopes of getting some good advice here.
Can't seem to figure out what kind of questions interest people enough to respond. Hope I get some advice soon else will have to try some other forums I guess.

I came across Yamaha RX V677 on Amazon for about 380$. Though it has specs far more than my needs, the deal breaker for me is this feature that it has " Dialogue Lift and Dialogue Level Adjustment for natural dialogue and vocals".
Since I mainly watch cable tv and English movies with lots of drama rather than action, I feel this one is perfect for me as many a times I miss out on the dialogues and have to rely on the subtitles which is distracting.
Has anyone either used or demoed this model. Please do tell me if this one is a good choice.

You are already getting 677 for a very good price.. There are many FM who own Yamaha AVR's here in this forum.. May be handful would have expereince with 6xx series.. Try to locate Yamah AVR owners thread in this forum & post your query abt this model.. You should get feedback...

Very dissappointed with lack of response to my queries by the FM s out here. Am undecided about what to buy since I had high hopes of getting some good advice here.
Can't seem to figure out what kind of questions interest people enough to respond. Hope I get some advice soon else will have to try some other forums I guess.

Do you have any AVR's in consideration or is it just Yamaha AVR alone ? Any speaker package that interests you here in India?

You are already getting 677 for a very good price.. There are many FM who own Yamaha AVR's here in this forum.. May be handful would have expereince with 6xx series.. Try to locate Yamah AVR owners thread in this forum & post your query abt this model.. You should get feedback...

Do you have any AVR's in consideration or is it just Yamaha AVR alone ? Any speaker package that interests you here in India?

I did check it out the Yamaha thread and it was somewhat useful.

Since I have zero knowledge, I have no preferences for either the AVR or the speaker system. Only my requirements to go by and my budget to a certain extent. That is the reason for coming to the forum so experts and actual users can give guidance and we can gain from their experience.

BTW there seems to be only two of us on this thread. No one else interested :-(

Thanks for your help at least.

Last edited:
I did check it out the Yamaha thread and it was somewhat useful.

Since I have zero knowledge, I have no preferences for either the AVR or the speaker system. Only my requirements to go by and my budget to a certain extent. That is the reason for coming to the forum so experts and actual users can give guidance and we can gain from their experience.

BTW there seems to be only two of us on this thread. No one else interested :-(

Thanks for your help at least.

Yamaha 6xx series AVR are mid range from the Yamaha giant... Very good choice...

HT is not everyone's interest here... Other FM will chip in... Cheer up...

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back