Help with Sources for Inductor and capacitors for Xover

thenvk

Hi,

I am currently working on a DIY 3 way tower speaker project with peerless drivers and need some help on where can I find the Xover components in INDIA.

Thanks

Hey, thank you for the reply. what do you mean by PA shops?
Caps are not an issue, I was much worried about the inductors.Any Idea where can we find them locally or In India?

The toughest part of the DIY speakers in India is to get the capacitors and inductors. The quality and value of capacitor which you need to buy though tough will be possible. But inductor you may have to either source from overseas or try and learn to make it yourself, which is not going to be easy. Sorry the intention is not to discourage.

Hi,

I am currently working on a DIY 3 way tower speaker project with peerless drivers and need some help on where can I find the Xover components in INDIA.

Thanks

Hello..Could you please let me know from where you sourced the drivers..!

And if possible give me the driver details..and how you are approaching with the project..me too from hyderabad..may be i can learn somthing from your project..!:)

Best of luck..!

Hello..Could you please let me know from where you sourced the drivers..!

And if possible give me the driver details..and how you are approaching with the project..me too from hyderabad..may be i can learn somthing from your project..!:)

Best of luck..!

I am still working bro.. will let you know once done or at least they are in proper shape

I am still working bro.. will let you know once done or at least they are in proper shape

As per my knowledge ready made quality Inductor is not available in India. Bolton used to sell 2-way or 3-way 12db speaker crossovers a few years back.
However Inductor can be made at home with +/-10% of the perceived value, You need to have following ;
1. 16AWG insulated copper wire. [available with shops selling transformer related items]
2. Plastic former (bobbin) on which the wire will be wound. [will have to search in local market]
3. Inductor calculator utility [several calculators are available online, just google]
4. A local guy who winds transformer with hand machine.

Do your homework, and depending upon the size of the plastic former calculate no of turns with Inductor calculator available online. Now tell the local transformer winder to wind the "X" no of turns on the plastic former, The hand machine usually has a counter. Use little bit of fevi-quick after each layer to keep the windings in position. Your Inductor is ready (with +/- 10% of the perceived value )
scratch the Insulation at both the ends before soldering.

Using 18 AWG wire will save the cost by 20% but again at the cost of higher resistance (3 times) .

Capacitors- for small values metalised polypropelene should be used and for higher values (above 10 MFD) bipolar will suffice.

I know its not easy, just shared my experience, when I did it around 10 years back.

Hope it helps!!:)

Vipin.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back