Hi and Home Theater dilemma

kumareshwar

Hi Everybody,

This is Eswar. I have just joined this forum. I have stumbled on to it as I am doing some research on Home Theaters. I like what I see on this site. People seem to be truely helpful. I have a budget of about 50k and am unable to decide between a Home Theater in a Box or a good Receiver and speaker system. Though, I would prefer a Receiver and speaker setup, would my budget allow it?

I am interested in Onkyo TX-SR 606 or similar receiver with latest features like video upconversion and a 5.1 0r 7.1 speaker system with a good sub woofer suitable for both movies and music. How about HTiBs like the Onkyo HT-S 5100 or 6100?

I am really confused. I have read in the forums that importing from the USA might not be a good idea as the Receivers seem to be heating up on 220 volts power we have in India and also that the speakers do not perform properly too.

I have a Sharp Aquos 32A53 32 inch 100-120 Hz LCD TV which I imported from Malaysia. I also imported a Philips DVP 5982 Upscaling DVD Player from the USA.

I would prefer a Receiver with its own upscaling. My TV and Home Theater would be right in the middle of a 12 x 30 ft hall facing the living area with seating about 15 ft away. I live in Secunderabad. Any info on good dealers or reliable grey market guys in Hyderabad is welcome.

I shall appreciate it very much if I get some help in choosing a good Home Theater setup. Please recommend a good Receiver and speaker system. Sorry for the lengthy post but I really need some help.

Thanks in advance.

Eswar.

Hi Everybody,

This is Eswar. I have just joined this forum. I have stumbled on to it as I am doing some research on Home Theaters.

I am really confused. I have read in the forums that importing from the USA might not be a good idea as the Receivers seem to be heating up on 220 volts power we have in India and also that the speakers do not perform properly too.

I have a Sharp Aquos 32A53 32 inch 100-120 Hz LCD TV which I imported from Malaysia. I also imported a Philips DVP 5982 Upscaling DVD Player from the USA.

I would prefer a Receiver with its own upscaling. My TV and Home Theater would be right in the middle of a 12 x 30 ft hall facing the living area with seating about 15 ft away. I live in Secunderabad. Any info on good dealers or reliable grey market guys in Hyderabad is welcome.

I shall appreciate it very much if I get some help in choosing a good Home Theater setup. Please recommend a good Receiver and speaker system. Sorry for the lengthy post but I really need some help.

Thanks in advance.

Eswar.

At the outset Eshwar, Welcome to the forum. As I have been requesting other new joinees, please do stay on and participate. In the meantime, I am sure we can work with you to answer some of your questions.

(1) Your following statement needs to be cleared.

The US uses a 110volts alternating current at 60Hz, while in India we use 220 volts alternating at 50Hz. If you buy equipment from the US, you CANNOT plug these directly into the mains in India. You have to use an external transformer that converts the 220volts/50Hz to 110/60Hz. The output of the transformer will have US type plug sockets, and you can plug the US equipment into the transformer. These transformers are available all over in many electrical shops, as they are used for non audio, non-video equipment also such as mixers, lights, printers, computers, etc.

If you plug the US 110 volts equipment directly into our 220 mains, you will hear a fizz, and will happily see your 30-40K investment go up in smoke.

The heating of the amplifier has nothing to do with the voltage. Amplifiers such as AVRs have a large power unit inside as well as a transformer coil that is used to generate the power needed to drive your speakers. These generate heat as a part of their functioning, and this is common to all audio and video amplifiers. This is nothing to be concerned about as long as you have decent air conditioning in your audio/video room.

(2) Your Sharp Aquos and Philips DVD Player are good choices.

(3) Since you DVD Player already has a 1080p upscaling and HDMI, you can connect it directly to the TV for the video part, and use a good AVR for audio. If you look for an AVR that does not boast high upscaling as a feature, you can save some money. You are not losing anything as your DVD Player already has upscaling.

In AVRS, midrange models from Onkyo, Yamaha, Denon, Maranzt, Cambridge Audio would be good choices. In speakers there is a large choice from companies such as Wharfedale Diamonds, Monitor Audio, Q Accoustics, Mordaunt Short, Polk Audio, Jamo, Mission, Klipsch, etc.

Once you mention your budget and the kind of music you like, many members here will advise you on the kind of speakers you should go in for.

keep this thread alive till you get your answers, and also read other threads where this topic has been discussed many times.

Cheers

Hi Venkat,

Thanks for the quick response. Yes. I am aware of the consequences of plugging in US imported equipment directly into our power supply. I was enquiring about the possibilty of damage that be caused even when 220 volts transformer is used. Will there be any humming noise or any other factor that affects the performance of the system negatively?

Thanks for endorsing my choice of TV and DVD player.

I need your suggestion on importing an ONKYO TX-SR 606 receiver from the US where it is available for $400 ( Rs.17k approx.) whereas it is sold for about Rs. 36k in India. Even if freight charges and customs duty are paid, would it not be a cheaper option?

Please give your opinion on Polk Audio RM705 5.1 Home Theater Speaker System. It is available for Rs.25k with Pro Fx, almost equivalent to the US price of $500.

My total budget is around Rs.50k.

Thanks once again.

Eswar.

Last edited:
Hi Venkat,

Thanks for the quick response. Yes. I am aware of the consequences of plugging in US imported equipment directly into our power supply. I was enquiring about the possibilty of damage that be caused even when 220 volts transformer is used. Will there be any humming noise or any other factor that affects the performance of the system negatively?

Thanks for endorsing my choice of TV and DVD player.

I need your suggestion on importing an ONKYO TX-SR 606 receiver from the US where it is available for $400 ( Rs.17k approx.) whereas it is sold for about Rs. 36k in India. Even if freight charges and customs duty are paid, would it not be a cheaper option?

Please give your opinion on Polk Audio RM705 5.1 Home Theater Speaker System. It is available for Rs.25k with Pro Fx, almost equivalent to the US price of $500.

My total budget is around Rs.50k.

Thanks once again.

Eswar.

Regarding whether you will get a humming noise when using a 220 to 110 transformer, no you will not. If you get should hit the manufacturer of the transformer on his head. :)

As has been suggested elsewhere, in the power condition link, use a RFI/EMI filter at the end just before the audio components are connected This was you will be doubly safe.

Regarding importing the Onkyo, if you can sneak it through customs, yes it will be cheaper. If customs slaps a 100% duty, then the cost advantage will be very small. But remember, Onkyo India will not service your receiver. That is there company policy. If you are intent upon importing, wouldn't Singapore, Malaysia, or the Middle East be a better option? You will get a 220 volt version and the freight will be cheaper.

Polk generally is a good speaker manufacturer. But I would request you to please audition the speakers with your own music, before writing the cheque. If you have the 606 in hand, you can request ProFx to send two speaker to your house for auditioning. The danger is they are Denon dealers and will try to belittle Onkyo.

Cheers

Hi Venkat,

Thanks for the reassuring words. I am now confident that importing from the US is not as big a problem as the local dealers has made it sound. Regarding service, it is almost non-existent in India. If it costs double the US price in India, I think I should take the chance.

Yes, as you said, Onkyo was belittled by the Denon dealer as is to be expected. I shall surely listen in to the Polk Audio speakers once I get the receiver. What is your comment on the FOCUS brand of speakers?

Eswar.

The US uses a 110volts alternating current at 60Hz, while in India we use 220 volts alternating at 50Hz. If you buy equipment from the US, you CANNOT plug these directly into the mains in India. You have to use an external transformer that converts the 220volts/50Hz to 110/60Hz. The output of the transformer will have US type plug sockets, and you can plug the US equipment into the transformer. These transformers are available all over in many electrical shops, as they are used for non audio, non-video equipment also such as mixers, lights, printers, computers, etc.

In general transformer just changes the voltage level , Step Up or Step Down , it won't change the AC mains frequency. In most cases just voltage level convertion is what needed , 50 or 60 Hz makes no difference. However there are certain cases where mains frequecny is also very important e.g. when mains freq is used to derive timing signals etc.

To operated US (110 V-60 Hz) equipment here in India (230 V - 50 Hz) a step down transormer is needed with adequate current rating. Ready made units available in electric/electronic shops are not suitable for any HiFI gear , you need to order one from a Trasformer manufaturing company.

In every town , you will find such a (small scale)Trasformer manufaturing unit. Just ask to any body who makes Voltage stabilizers / UPS / Emergency lamps to get pointers.

While buying ready made or ordering a custom made transformer , insist on (GKW) CRGO stampings, adequate insulation with (preferably) Oil impregnation, thick conductors (Finolex) and proper termination (Brass parts) and mount it on a sturdy base (wooden) plate (and if the transformer is with higher current ratings then also provide a protective cage).

Hope this helps.

Regards

SUhas

Last edited:
Did you mean Focus or Focal. If its the Sib and Co at profx you are talking about, they are very very good. I had replied in the other thread of yours.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back