Hi everyone. Need a suggestion on Subwoofer

srinivast3

I’m planning a dedicated home theatre which is 19x12. I’m stuck in deciding the best subwoofer. Happy if I get in below 50K budget.

No experience with Taga/JBL, BIC is good but it may cost more than 50K depending on the city.
Bic I’m getting in a good price, I would like to know performance. One home theatre expert in Hyderabad said that PL 300 doesn’t give feel well after calibration…I really don’t know what he means

Bic I’m getting in a good price, I would like to know performance. One home theatre expert in Hyderabad said that PL 300 doesn’t give feel well after calibration…I really don’t know what he means
Well, the final performance of any Sub depends on multiple factors:-
  1. Room Size/Shape
  2. Sound profile (furniture position/curtain type)
  3. Accuracy in calibration
  4. Position of Sub
And the list goes on... In General, BIC Subs are good and perform well in most cases but nothing beats an Audition...

Edit:- My experience is solely based on PL200.

Last edited:
BIC can get boomy if not placed or calibrated properly, but great for movies okish for music.
Polk HTS12 is a great sub.
No Idea about JBL.
I own Taga 212SE, loving them. Thinking to add one more to the mix to fill the room.

Check out PSB S10 & QB12 also, they are good for movies and music.

Last edited:
At that budget the alternatives are primarily
Polk HTS 12
BIC AMERICA PL200-II
Q Acoustics QB12

I have seen the QB12 being the preferred choice. I know that @DB1989 has auditioned these and speaks highly of them and @chander owns one. You can reach out to them for further information and the caveat despite all.our subjective opinions is : Please do audition before you buy

BIC can get boomy if not placed or calibrated properly, but great for movies okish for music.
No Idea about JBL.
I own Taga 212SE, loving them. Thinking to add one more to the mix to fill the room.

Will Taga 212 SE take care of my room which is completely done by acoustics. If not one I can buy two. One calibrator strongly recommended Taga 212 only.

Like others mentioned, audition is the key.
Try checking and auditioning subwoofers which you hav selected.

Taga is budget friendly and packs lot of puch too. But it matters how they sound in one room, hopefully auditioning can solve your doubts.

Any day 2subs will be better than one, 2 tagas will fill up the room better than one pricier sub.

I’m planning a dedicated home theatre which is 19x12. I’m stuck in deciding the best subwoofer. Happy if I get in below 50K budget.
Did you search the forum - I thought I saw a SVS PB1000 fir sale posted ... check that out please ...it’s nit just room size alone that determines the unit to buy ...srinivast13 has given a simple brief

No Idea about JBL.

Sir I am almost inclined towards Taga212se as the price is bargain. In Hyderabad one professional calibrator has recommended this product in budget series. How is the Bass and distortion levels. Did you feel tight and deep bass or any humming. I am completely doing the acoustics with professionals. Can I go for 2 nos of this TAGA? Did you face any issues in this model? Hope you answer influence my decision.

Sir I am almost inclined towards Taga212se as the price is bargain. In Hyderabad one professional calibrator has recommended this product in budget series. How is the Bass and distortion levels. Did you feel tight and deep bass or any humming. I am completely doing the acoustics with professionals. Can I go for 2 nos of this TAGA? Did you face any issues in this model? Hope you answer influence my decision.

It is not tight, again this is a budget sub but a powerful one. Yes it has deep bass, in my room I could feel the bass starting from 30hz, my room has no accoustic treatment.

I found this sub really good and that too at a very low price. No complaints, like i said I might be adding one more soon if I don't upgrade my speakers.

2 Subs with proper placement will be joy to listen and will fill the room perfectly. If you want speak with the dealer as you will be getting two subs, he might lend you for a demo. Check which one sounds good.

Would love to see your setup once complete, would suggest keep subs for last after getting the room treated. That way you get more time to research.

Hi Srinivast3, I have a suggestion and it's based on something that happened to my subwoofer just last night. I have a Hsu Research ULS-15 sealed 15 inch sub and it sounded wonderful until it went out last night. It is 10 years old and the built-in amplifier was warranted for 2 years. Even if it was still under warranty, can you imagine the inconvenience involved sending a large sub back to California by freight (I bought it online and it was shipped to my house). Even if it was free shipping, I don't want to go through the trouble of shipping this big heavy thing (and the risk of shipping damage).

I'm sure the problem is in the amplifier, as speaker drivers generally have life spans measured in decades whereas an inexpensive class D amp is apparently only measured in years. Therefore, from this point on, I will only buy PASSIVE subs. This way, it will be much easier to replace the amplifier when it dies, seeing as how it will be "plug & play" like any ordinary speaker.

Passive subs are a bit rare but they do exist. I found several brands by internet search.

Having said all this, if you have a large audio budget, you could buy REL subs as they are generally considered the best subs available (although they are self-powered with only a 3 year warranty). If you do purchase a powered sub you really should get at least two, so that when one of them dies you'll still have a working sub.

Please excuse the length of this post but I do hope it helps to inform in your decision-making.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back