HI FI vs DVD home theatre systems

joshiaa

What is the difference between HI FI music systems and DVD home theatre systems.
Which one is better ?
Sony or philips?

Last edited:
HiFi typically means you only have 2 channels of sound (i.e. 2 speakers). This is usually for listening to music.

Home theatre systems have multiple channels of sound (e.g. 5.1 or 7.1, where the .1 refers to a subwoofer). As is obvious, these are used for movies, unless you're listening to SACDs or DVD Audio.

Unless you're on a serious budget, Sony and Phillips are terrible. High quality audio is stuff that you wont find in Croma/Vijay Sales/E-Zone etc.

Browse through this forum to learn more.

Does that mean home theatre is that not good for listening music compared to HI FI ?
I want to here quality music and see DVD movies also. Which should I prefer to get maximum advantage ? or is it necessary to buy seperately ?

Last edited:
actually hi fi simply means high fidelity, which means it is faithful to the original recorded sound. This is a much abused term, and it's staggering that people like Sony use it in relation to their all-in-one music systems, because they're pretty far from high fidelity.

So if I understand your question correctly, you want to know if a Sony or Philips "hi fi" music system (of the 1500 watts PMPO genre) or a DVD based home theater sounds better. While both sound not too great, the "hi fi" will sound better for music and the home theater for movies. Philips actually has some home theaters in a box, that are pretty decent for the price. the sony ones are mostly terrible.

What's your budget?

Thanks.
I am novice in this field. My budget is is around Rs. 15000 only.
My main purpose is to listen good quality music on CD and DVD's as well as see DVD movies.

1. My basic question is - Which better serves my purpose ? Hi fi music system or home theatre system ? I found that price of home theatre and Hi fi systms is same with similar features except number of speakers . I am confused here.

Once basic question is answered I can choose the brand.

Thanks.
I am novice in this field. My budget is is around Rs. 15000 only.
My main purpose is to listen good quality music on CD and DVD's as well as see DVD movies.

1. My basic question is - Which better serves my purpose ? Hi fi music system or home theatre system ? I found that price of home theatre and Hi fi systms is same with similar features except number of speakers . I am confused here.

Once basic question is answered I can choose the brand.

if they can provide 5 speakers at the price of 2 then it means the 5 speakers are cheaper quality wise as well

that said, i have seen people who like the sound of 5.1s over 2.1 (from sony, philips etc)....think they like the surround sound much more....so its a matter of personal preference i believe...so if u like them, u may stick to that..however for advise regarding the best among them; this may be the wrong forum to ask...

on the other hand at around 15000 the one generally suggested here is the audioengine A2 (consisting of 2 speakers only)...check bajaao.com for delivery...there are some quality issues though, just browse the forum for details..there was another thread comparing audioengine to krk..k..here it is http://www.hifivision.com/speaker-reviews/3571-review-krk-rp-5-g2-audioengine-a5.html .... its audio engine A5(19-21k) vs krk (23k)

meanwhile you can go through this thread to get a feel of things http://www.hifivision.com/speakers/2833-bookshelf-speakers-pc-query.html :)

Last edited:
Hello,
I agree with the previous post. Audio engine for affordable, quality speakers.

But 15k is too small a sum... Unfortunately, good sound costs a lot of money and once you listen to 'serious' hi-fi, you will realize that 15k all in one box systems fail to present around 70% of the stuff that is there on the recording. (quality wise) The difference is just night and day... another option to enjoy premium quality audio without spending a fortune is to get hi-end headphones. If you have a DAP/iPod, get the Sennheiser IE8/Shure IEMs and you will be awestruck with the results.

15k for a home theater is very less amount.
You'll really be pressed for high fidelity audio from this.

15k from a stereo system is still approachable, and you may like the sound quality as well as the sound volume of such a system.

1. a borderline decent DVD/CD player would set you back by 5K.
If you already have a cheap DVD player (samsung etc), then you can postpone this purchase for later. This is basically a signal source, and you can as well use your computer for it.

2. you can get a decent powered stereo amplifier for 6~7K - Norge 2060 and 4242 are pretty well known here.

3. speakers - most important part. You will have to set apart 12K for these.

So what I am looking at for a budget stereo system which has good fidelity would be 5+7+12= 24, make that 25K.

Of the two my vote goes to Philips. Not because I am a fan of the brand but their stuff sounds way better than Sony Hi Fi and Home Theatre In a Box.

1) You can try second hand market - New DVD + USED AVR + Used 5.1 speakers
2) DVD with 5.1 analougue out & volume control + V Good 5.1 Cpmputer speaker system without remote
3) DVD with 5.1 analougue out and V good 5.1 speakers with remote
4) any DVD and Logitec Z 5500

Last combo will be around 1800 @ DVD RS 3K and 5500 discounted price was rs 15 k
But I think some used Z 5500 available

Now PC spakers are decent may not be like good HT & definatly worse than good 2 channel HI FI but I think they serve the purpose

in 2 channel 15 k can buy very good system .......

Sir My budget is strictly 55k
but i dont want complicated connection like AVR , DVDplyrs,5.1 ht, and lots of HDMI, optical,Coaxial etc. bla bla

So Sir My Question is

1) Can i use HIFI System for watching movies ?

2) Y HT's r so costly and giving very less RMS watts (600 watts RMS)for 30k without AVR , DVD players & Bluetooth where as HIFI is cheaper and having 1450Watt RMS (like SONY MHC V6d) with complete system????????

3) Which one is better Sony MHC-gt4d (2.1 with S Surround 1600W RMS) or SAMSUNG MX-HS8000 (2.2 channel RMS 2300 Watts) ?
if any other in this range pls Suggest me

4) Can i use Winner HIFI system from Q.3 to Watching Movie or Watching TV ?

Pls Reply Sir
i dont know any thing abt music system
i know my buggest is in lowwer middle rang strictly 55K :sad: but i want to shake my room(Room size is 10"X14.5" WXL)

Thanks
Sorry for my BAD English:eek:

Can i use HIFI system for Watching Movie and DTH
SIR
for more than two week i hv searche all the question in internet even this forum i hv read all the thread and reply and got nothing satisfatory ans .and confused
becoz i dont want lots of comlicated equipments like AVR,Bluray player ,5 speekars and a woofer and lots of cables and wiring etc.
hust want a simple Hifi system becoz my budget is strictly 55K !!

My Question is
1) Can i use Hifi system for watching movie and DTH ?

2) Y hifi system having more RMS watt and cheap( Samsung Giga hs 8000 hving 2300 Watt RMS 50k) than HTs Like (some 50k Speeker system hving 600 Watts RMS only) so Expensive???

3) i have choose 2 HIFI SYSTEM which one is better ?
- SONY MHC GT4D ( 2.1 Channel having S Surround and Crystal clear Sond and some DJ function 1600 Watt RMS for 51K)
or
- SAMSUNG GIGA HS8000(2.2 Channel 2300 Watts RMS for 51K)
- Or if any other best at this price segment pls let me know !

4) Can Hifi (Winner HIFI System from Q.3)system perform well for watching movie and DTH (not like near performance of DVD or AVR HT)

Sir This Question is for my knowledge only ........

5) Y DvD HT is Cheper (while having bluetooth , nfc, wifi etc.) than AVR HT (in 50K u dont get anything ist just a passthrough) ?
-for AVR HT we need to purchase bluray player seprate which angain takes lots of Cable, Space , more money , buy bluetooth and Extra Powers .
-3d,4k,dolby surround,trueHD etc.. bluetooth ,nfc,wifi,alomost evey thing in bluray HT ststem of 50 to 60 K
-AVR HT has just a passthrough for 3d,and 4k we need compatable DVD player to perform such function
-if we spend 50k we get nothing in AVR HT ,I get only entry level AVR for bluetooth i hve to spend another 8 to 9K Rupees and again 2 cables.
- then how AVR HT is better than DVD HT (50 k cost)?
-AVR HT gives just 600 watt RMS but in DVD HT we get 1200 watt RMS louder than AVR HT(For 50k)

MY Need : Sir I dont know anything abt AUdio SYSTEMS but i really want to good music system for listening music and watching movie and DTH ,and want to shake my room (Room size is 10X15)
Really want a good deep base and good connectivity (wifi,bluetooth) but dont want lots of equip. and messing cable,

BUT my budget is strictly 50 to 55 K Rpuees Only, I know this is small budget as per my need

-what will u suggest me From Q3. ?which one is better as per my need
-what u suggest me HIFI or HT ( DVD HT or AVR HT)

SIR I APPRICIATE IF U ANS ALL MY QUESTION
Thanks

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back