hi frs please guide me

br_shanu

Dear frs,

Please suggest me that where and to what i have to buy so that my room sounds like theater.

I dont know about the difference in hi fi, amplifier and recevier.

Please suggest me what i have to do and also suggest from where i will get it in delhi.

Thanks and Regards

Dear SuhasG,

Thanks for reply its 10*10 foot.

what is the diffrence between

sony HT-DDW685, sony DAV-DZ370 and sony MHC-GZR8D.

I heard alot about sony, that it has great sound.

Thanks and Regards
Ravi

Last edited:
Ravi:

This may sound very bland and unnecessary to many people, but here goes.

Your questions are very general and very open. You can get HT systems from as low as 25K to 10 lakhs and above. Some pointers from you will help us:

1. What is your total budget? If you don't a budget, but know how much you can spend, maybe we can crate a budget for you.
2. What items do you already have if any - a TV. DVD players.... whatever? If you have TV, are you happy with it or are you looking for a upgrade?
3. What items are you looking for? What is your budget for these items?
4. What do you like more - music or movies?
5. What kind of movies do you like
6. Are you ready to do a little bit of auditioning under guidance from members here? Auditioning is visiting shops that sell equipment and listening to systems - to see if you like them or not.
7. What are you using the room now for? Can it's use be modified to make a HT room. In other words, if some things (like furniture, beds, etc) have to relocated in your house, can you do it?
8. To make you room 'like a theater' - in addition to equipment, you have to spend on room acoustics. Are you ready for this? Or, are you just looking for a simple system.

If you read through many HT threads in this forum you will see similar questions being answered with may of the people deciding upon equipment very quickly.

Cheers

hi,

Thanks for reply, but i dont find any solution from ur side in ur reply, my budget is of 30k for (home theatre or music system), i dont have any thing but planning to buy all the things, also palnning to buy cheapest lcd tv, plz suggest it also.

i dont know about reciver,amplifier or hi-sytems, i only heard that sony is best in sound. so plz guide me so that i will buy those product which are good to sound like disc, plz guide such thing which has great sound while watching movies as well as listening music, specially music.

And plz suggest some shops or show room where i can go and check the sound of the product in delhi.

Thanks and Regards
Ravi

brshanu said:
Thanks for reply, but i dont find any solution from ur side in ur reply, my budget is of 30k for (home theatre or music system), i dont have any thing but planning to buy all the things, also palnning to buy cheapest lcd tv, plz suggest it also.

i dont know about reciver,amplifier or hi-sytems, i only heard that sony is best in sound. so plz guide me so that i will buy those product which are good to sound like disc, plz guide such thing which has great sound while watching movies as well as listening music, specially music.

And plz suggest some shops or show room where i can go and check the sound of the product in delhi.

Thanks and Regards

Ravi

Ravi:

(1)

If you are interested in just the Sony models you have mentioned, listen to them and buy what your ears like. A quick comparison of the products you have mentioned.

1. MHC GZR8D is combination of a audio system and a 5 channel (does not look like a 5.1) AV system with Dolby digital and DTS decoding. It consists of a main unit that has an amplifier, a CD/DVD Player, a tape recorder.and a radio. The only thing extra you need is a TV. This Sony's answer to have everything in one box. It also supports Karaoke. The total outpur is 5900 watts PMPO.

2. DDW685 is a what Sony calls a HT Component System. It consists of an 5.1 amplifier, 2 subwoofers, a center channel speaker and 4 surround speakers. You have to procure a DVD player separately. This has about 620 watts in total.

3. The DAV DZ370 is what Sony Calls DVD HT Systems. This consists of a DVD Player, a 5.1 channel amplifier, USB memory and a radio. It has a sub woofer, a center channel speaker, two largish front speakers, and a two rear speakers. This has about 1000 watts in total.

Sony's mention of wattage is very confusing and misleading. A 1000 watts system will be huge in standard terms, but Sony uses PMPO, and other terms to make you believe that the system has a lot of volumen or loudness. In addition, Sony system such as these will work well with the provided speakers, but may not go so well, with speakers from other manufacturers.

(2)

If you are looking beyond just the Sony, the story is different. 30K may not be enough to have both music and movies of high quality ('plz guide such thing which has great sound while watching movies as well as listening music). So first, you have to decide whether you want a stereo system or a 5.1 system. A stereo system is for music only, and a 5.1 system is more towards movies, but you can also listen to music in it.

1. For a Stereo System, what you should do is to purchase a 2 channel system consisting of a CD Player, an integrated amplifier, and a pair of nice bookshelf speakers. Some of the choices for players and amplifiers that come to mind are:

1.a. The Cambridge Audio 340C player and 340A amplifier.
1.b. Yamaha AX-397 / AX-497 / RX-387 / RX-487 amplifiers. .
1.c. NAD C515BEE CD player, and C315BEE stereo amplifier.
1.d. Norge 100 Gold amplifier

For amplifiers that do not have a matching CD player from the same company, you can either mix and match the CD players mentioned above or you can look at other CD players such as a Marantz 5001. This is an excellent CD player that will go with any of the amplifiers mentioned above.

Instead of a CD Player, you can also use a DVD player. This way you can watch movies and also listen to music. But remember, a DVD player will never produce the quality of music as a CD player does.

For speakers you have to look at good bookshelf speakers. Some of the models you can look at are:

* Mission M31i, Mission m32i
* Mordaunt-Short 902i or 914i
* Tannoy Mercury Custom F1
* Wharfedale Diamond 8.0. 8.1, 9.0. 9.1
* NorgeMD80 Mach 2
* Polk Audio Monitor 30 or 40.

If you go in for a CD player, an amp, and a pair of speakers from the list suggested above, you will have a very decent audio system for music. Each of these items mentioned above vary in price from about 10,000 to 15,000 each. The speakers are sold in pairs.

Norge is the least inexpensive of the lot. If you are looking at Indian system, there may be a few more brands available.

2. For a Home Theater system (or a 5.1 system) within your budget, the best choice for you is to go for what is called Home Theater in a Box or HTIB. This will consist of a DVD Player, a 5.1 channel amplifier, and a speaker set consisting of a sub woofer, a center channel and four other speakers. Models are available from Onkyo, Denon, Yamaha, LG, Samsung, Philips, and of course Sony to name a few.

You have already heard the Sony. If you like it, just buy it and install it. But remember, Sony and some of the other HTIBs may not sound good with music. It is generally felt that Onkyo, Denon (and maybe a few more) HTIBs will sound the best for both music and movies.

There are a number of threads on HTIBs in this forum. Please read through them.

I would also recommend you visit a few more shops and audition a few more models from other brands. Carry your own CDs, and even DVDs so that you can make a better comparison. After auditioning (and reading through the threads), please come back here, and tell us what you have seen or heard, and what you like and dislike. We can then help you quickly decide on a system.

I am afraid that 30,000 will get you a bare minimum music system or a HTIB. If you want a TV also, a 32 inch LCD will cost you another 35 to 40,000. You can also use a CRT (maybe a 29 inch) which might costs around 10-12,000.

Please read through what I have written, decide what you want first, do some auditioning, and come back to enable us to help you close the choice.

Regarding showrooms in Delhi, for companies such as Sony. LG, and Samsung, there are showrooms all over the country, and you can visit the ones nearest to your house. For other brands, please read through some of the threads and you will get a list of showrooms selling various brands, You could also invest some money on AV Max, and/or WhatHiFi which will have advertisements from dealers in Delhi. You can also visit the web sites of some of these brands I have mentioned above and you can see a list of Indian distributors as well as city wise dealers. If you have short listed some brands and models, it will be easier for us to point you to a dealer.

Cheers.

hi,

Thanks for ur suggestion fr, i will do auditioning and tell u which one i like. i will start from onkyo.

Thanks and Regards
Ravi

Dear SuhasG,
U suggest to buy CRT (maybe a 29 inch), but which one can u plz tell me the
Brand and the model number.

and i found few product prices, mentioning below

1) norge mach 2 has been dicontinued and is now replaced by the norge new millenium 2000 speakers.--- Rs.11,000/- a pair.

2) Onkyo Products
HTS5100B : Rs. 40000/-
HTS990THXS : Rs. 60000/-
LS-V501 : Rs. 45000/-

3) Bang & Olufsen

1 BeoLab 5 : 1418000/- a pair
2 BeoLab 9 : 595000/- a pair
3 BeoCenter 2 : 345100/-
4 BeoSound 9000 : 361700/-
5 BeoSystem 3 : 557400/-

Thanks and Regards
Ravi

Dear SuhasG,
U suggest to buy CRT (maybe a 29 inch), but which one can u plz tell me the
Brand and the model number.

Ravi

I remember once I recommended a 29" CRT to some one. In fact I own a 29" Samsumg CRT Slim Fit, 100 Hz one and very much happy about it, I never felt a need to upgrade to LCD or Plasma, for two things 1> My room size won't permit to go beyond 32" 2> Prices (then).

There was a talk about one Philips 29"CRT model but it is no longer available. Even the Sammy model I own is also discontinued. For CRT consider Sammy, Philips and SONY. With LCD prices are dropping day by day, you may find a 1-2 years old 29" CRT at a throw away price. Pick up one to begin with.

Dear SuhasG,

Once agian thanks for ur advice, fr tell me the one good model and i go for it.

and what ur views for
samsung LA22A450C1 lcd it cost 22000 .

Regards
Ravi

Last edited:
br_shanu said:
1) norge mach 2 has been dicontinued and is now replaced by the norge new millenium 2000 speakers.--- Rs.11,000/- a pair.

2) Onkyo Products
HTS5100B : Rs. 40000/-
HTS990THXS : Rs. 60000/-
LS-V501 : Rs. 45000/-

3) Bang & Olufsen

1 BeoLab 5 : 1418000/- a pair
2 BeoLab 9 : 595000/- a pair
3 BeoCenter 2 : 345100/-
4 BeoSound 9000 : 361700/-
5 BeoSystem 3 : 557400/-

Thanks and Regards
Ravi

1. Yes, Norge could have discontinued their Mach 2 and replaced it with Millineum 2000 speakers. The new ones, I am sure will sound the same or even better than Mach 2.

2. Regarding Onkyo, the first two are HTIB systems, while the LS-V501 is a DVD player that has an integrated amp to drive a 2.1 system.

3. Regarding B&O, yes, they are beautiful products, but very very expensive. If you ask me how they sound - well let me put it this way. Similar speakers from companies such as B&W, Quad, Wharfedale will sound better any day. There are companies that make better sounding electronics.

But B&O is not about sound alone. B&O is about style. They look absolutely beautiful, and sound good too! They have been winning design awards for as long as I remember.

br_shanu said:
and what ur views for
samsung LA22A450C1 lcd it cost 22000 .

Suhas, my apologies. Though this is addressed to you, I am taking the liberty of answering.

Shanu, the LA22A450C1 specs are good. I am particularly intrigued by it's resolution of 1680 x 1050, that is quite close to Full HD resolution of 1080. It also had HDMI input. What this means is that with a decent AVR or a DVD players, you can upscale upto 720P and get very decent pictures on this screen.

I also heard that you could bargain this down to 20K. It will be a good buy at that price.

But as always, a word of caution. Please do audition the unit before buying it.

Cheers

Back