Hi..I am New and need Assistance

Venkatease

Hi..I am New and need Assistance( Jamo A340 + Sherwood 6513 )

Hi All

I am Venkat and i joined this site recently. I am not a techie and i need assistance with the system i bought recently.

I bought a Jamo speaker package and a Sherwood receiver. I need your expert advise on these speakers & AV receiver and also whether these match with each other.

After seeing everyone posting thier questions straight away in the introduction post i thought of following

I bought a Jamo A340 speakers with matching center
Jamo 8" sub with 200 Watts Amp
Sherwood 6513 - 5.1 receiver wiith HDMI connectivity

I have to many questions and shaking a little about possible reactions..let me go haead and take the jump

1. General opinion on these Speakers and Receiver.. Does someone own these brands / models ?

2. Whether the 8" 200 watts Sub is enough ( which i bought due to budget reasons rather going for more larger Sub )

3. Whether the quoted power ratings of the Sherwood ie 110 watts per channel will match that of Jamo speakers ( 70 to 100 watts ). Am i running any risk of having non-matching components?

Please bear with me if my questions are too basic.. I came to know about this forum recently.

Earlier i posted similar questions in a foriegn site and waited for too long for someone to reply.. never got one.

looking forward to your assistance..thanks

Regards
Venkat

Last edited:
Re: Hi..I am New and need Assistance( Jamo A340 + Sherwood 6513 )

No worries venkatease - we will ease you in on the discussions. If at anytime you feel confused/overwhelmed/ticked off, just state so and the good people on this forum will take care of that aspect as well.

1. General opinion on these Speakers and Receiver.. Does someone own these brands / models ?

You will get wide variety of opinion. If you are looking for specific feedback such as sound level or support for playing a particular type of music or watching TVs, then let us know. Ultimately, its not so much the opinion of others but your own that will count in how you will enjoy these.

BTW, I am curious as to what your options are if you end up being unsatisfied. can you returning any or all of these?

2. Whether the 8" 200 watts Sub is enough ( which i bought due to budget reasons rather going for more larger Sub )

It depends on the room size you are listening to and the type of audio (movies or music). generally speaking its a bit weak. However if tuned properly and with some minor tweaks, it can pass of as being functional for sometime.

Most importantly your budget (brain) should drive the purchasing decision, which you have in this case.

3. Whether the quoted power ratings of the Sherwood ie 110 watts per channel will match that of Jamo speakers ( 70 to 100 watts ). Am i running any risk of having non-matching components?

If you are not listening to very loud levels (waking up neighbours level) for long period (many hours), you should be fine. Don't sweat over the ratings too much, its part fact and part fiction that manufacturers put us through.

As I said before, if you are happy with what you listen to, then deal is closed. Thats what matters at the end. So set it up, sit down and enjoy it.

Hi marsilians

Thank you very much.. I am really stunned by the beautiful responses. It has never happened in any other forum.. Thanks to you.

I started off with some basic questions as i am still in the process of experimenting with the set up.

Unfortunately I dont have the option of returning. I have to stick to the system as of now.

I started off with a budget of 50K but since speakers cost me 50k i spent another 20K on the receiver.

While as far as receiver is concerned i am aware i have gone for a limited option. Please do let me know about Sherwood speakers ( if possible Rd-6513 ).

As far as speakers are concerned i bought them after having some reasonable listening.. they sounded good to me in the demo room

The following made me go for Jamo

1.Brand
2.Listening experience
3.Size of speaker drivers - Not one of those cubes where you compromise but no big ones also like floorstanders
4.I am slightly inclined towards music than movie..So that A340 will be a balanced speakers
5.Some specs of these speakers like , Bass refelex and 50Hrtz to 20K Hrtz frequency range.
6.Warranty of 5 years
7.Finally the compact size although i wouldnt have minded going for floorstanders if i had got convinced.

As of now the volume looks it is on the lower side. My room size is limited ..just 10 by 12 as of now . It is just a rented flat anyway. The sales manager told me that it is due to the set up they have done ie., kept the loudness low in speakers to avoid damage and it is always adjutable.. But i really need to check what kind of set up has been done and how far this is correct.

I will post my clarifications. In the meantime please let me know your opinion on these speakers

thanks alot again

Regards
venkatesh

may i ask how your speakers are?
I am planning to get JAMO for my yamaha V667.
How do u rate the listening experience

Hi,
Your setup is perfect don't get confused too much and carried away. Your receiver and speaker package are of matching 6 ohms. Only thing is your receiver is of 110 W RMS where as your satellites are of 70 w continues and 100 watts at peak. So it is not advisable to pump up the volume above 75% of the receivers capacity continuosly.

Probably this is why the technician has kept the loudness at lower level. As far as the Sherwood is concerned They are musical receivers hence it should clearly gel with your requirement as your taste is more towards music.

After listening to a reasonable time you yourself will be able to tweak the system to the best of your taste which is more important than the others opinion on the package.

Once again to say for your room size this an optimum size ( to an extent little larger too) Hence you don't worry just enjoy the music and movie.

Thanks for reading.

may i ask how your speakers are?
I am planning to get JAMO for my yamaha V667.
How do u rate the listening experience

Hi Visaster,

What is the model no of jamo that you are planning to buy? If it is same of the above then you may please note that Yamaha power is 90 w at 8 ohms where as Jamo is 6 ohms which in turn will make Yamaha nearly 125W so the same situation as above that you should not pump up the volume to the max continuesly. More over the dynamic power of the yamaha at 6 ohms is 160W which is risky when you see high action packed movies continuesly at higher volume levels. (Risky in the sense risk of blowing the drivers of the Satellites).

If you can take care of this then the above combination is perfect. More musical one.

Balagopalan

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back