hi-res audio through bookshelf speakers

bhaduri

Hi all, what is the best way to play hi-res 24-bit/96/192 audio (mostly from hdtracks) through my pair of bookshelf speakers?

I have an ELAC 53.2 with a 4 ohm impedance. is there any way I can connect my PC to that for hi-res playback?

I also have a onkyo cs-265 cd receiver....can that be out to use?

If I buy a good DAC and connect it to the receiver, will that work? or will the receiver's internal DAC (not hi-res) downsample the sound?

If I don't use the receiver (am happy with the speakers), what are my options?

Thanks for your time and regards...

Welcome to the forum!

You will need a DAC to convert your digital files into an analog signal.
You also need an amplifier to then feed the signal to the speakers.

PC > DAC > Amplifier > Speaker

You can also go for an Integrated Amplifier with an inbuilt DAC

PC > Integrated Amplifier > Speaker

The Onkyo CS 265 is an integrated amplifier but does not have inputs to it's DAC section unless you feed it via the front USB port. Your best solution would be to place your files into a USB stick or use an old iPhone. However you are limited to mp3 and aac files in this configuration.

To properly play hires files, get something like Foobar on your computer. You can get a decent DAC in the second hand market (see our For Sale forum) and place it in the chain between your PC and Onkyo CS-265.

Lastly your ELAC speakers will play with your Onkyo but there will need a little more power to sound their best. Still you should be okay with them to start with.

All the best.

Hello,

Nikhil has pretty much explained what you need to know.

Playing Hi-Rez or any other format of music is not a function of your speaker (you may want to debate the performance of a speaker on specific genres of music but that's a different topic altogether).

At a high level, to play hi-rez, you would need -
- Software that can read the format. Foobar2k does a great job at that. You may find other software too but some might downsample i.e. internally convert it to regular (16bit 44.1hz) format. You may want to check that aspect before you install.
- A DAC that can decode Hi-Rez. Most DAC these days do an adequate job but check on the bit-depth and sampling supported. Some dacs may do 24bit 96hz but not beyond it. If you are playing through a computer, you would most likely output the signal through USB so you would need a dac that accepts USB input. Otherwise you would have to put in a USB-SPDIF converter.
- A decent amp. Your amp will do well here

This should get you started on playing hi-rez file in its native resolution. The next part is all audiophile alchemy...getting a 'better' DAC, 'better' amp, getting the synergy between your components, cable voodoo etc...but let's leave that for a different discussion ;)

All the best!

Thank you for the replies. Thank you for welcoming me to the forum. So am I right in understanding that in the current set-up all I need is a 24/192 USB dac?

So the chain goes like this:

computer USB > DAC> CS-265 (line in; no digital input here) > ELAC bs 53.2?

won't the in-built dac in the cs-265 downsample the sound?

If not, it's great news. what DAC do you suggest and what is the price? Most of my hi-res files are above 24/96 still I wanted to be future proof.

Thanks and eagerly awaiting your replies.....

I also have one more question. Foobar 2k is too confusing!! :) can I play good old VLC? does the software have anything to do with the sound quality? doesn't it just organize files? VLC I hope doesn't downsample....also with VLC, I can keep the files in my comp D-Drive instead of adding tags, I play straight to default VLC, and I get a large-sized album cover in full screen while playing.

very basic questions, I know, please bear with me....I will get better:)

why dont u try chromecast audio..

it has 24 bits 192 khz dac inside..plus as its thru wifi..it will tranmit lossless audio...

also it has optical out n rca ..both

Thank you for the replies. Thank you for welcoming me to the forum. So am I right in understanding that in the current set-up all I need is a 24/192 USB dac?

So the chain goes like this:

computer USB > DAC> CS-265 (line in; no digital input here) > ELAC bs 53.2?

won't the in-built dac in the cs-265 downsample the sound?

No, it's already converted to analog by the DAC.
Sending it in via the RCA jacks at the back of the CS265 connects to the analog section of the amp.
No further sampling is done.

For DACs look up anything from Schiit Audio or some of the Chinese DAC kits like Audio GD and Gustard.
You can also get pre-assembled DAC kits from some reputed Chinese builders on Ebay.

I also have one more question. Foobar 2k is too confusing!! :) can I play good old VLC? does the software have anything to do with the sound quality? doesn't it just organize files? VLC I hope doesn't downsample....also with VLC, I can keep the files in my comp D-Drive instead of adding tags, I play straight to default VLC, and I get a large-sized album cover in full screen while playing.

very basic questions, I know, please bear with me....I will get better:)

Software does play a big role with hi res material. Especially using DSP (Digital Signal Processing) features that are available on some of the well regarded software. I use JRiver for example and for small bookshelf speakers I cut off the lower frequencies below 80-100Hz as they only muddle the sound and the small drivers are not able to handle them anyway.

Foobar is very good. The basic interface is a little confusing but Google is your friend.
Take the time to play around with it and you will be in great shape.
VLCC is not really an audio grade player.

Last edited:
No, it's already converted to analog by the DAC.
Sending it in via the RCA jacks at the back of the CS265 connects to the analog section of the amp.
No further sampling is done.

Thanks a ton. That clears it up.

Foobar is very good. The basic interface is a little confusing but Google is your friend.

Foobar it is then. Done. I have to burn the midnight oil a bit:)

Software does play a big role with hi res material. Especially using DSP (Digital Signal Processing) features that are available on some of the well regarded software. I use JRiver for example and for small bookshelf speakers I cut off the lower frequencies below 80-100Hz as they only muddle the sound and the small drivers are not able to handle them anyway.
.[/QUOTE][/I]

On the other hand, I might spend $50 and go for Jriver. I saw it at a friend's and it's more user friendly than foobar.

any tutorials for me, or any links, regarding the above set-up (onkyo cs-265 and ELAC BS 53.2) with a schiit modi 2 DAC and windows 8.1?

1. As I understand it, when connected in standard mode it will play even 24/192 or 24/177 (or anything above 96) in 24/96 without additional drivers? Is this correct?

2. With the driver downloaded from the schiit website, can someone guide me on the possible troubles I might face or the steps I need to take?

Thanks a ton and regards to all

When you connect your Onkyo CS-265 to your ELAC BS 53.2 you are limited to Redbook CD format or 16bit/44.1kHz.
Even when you connect a USB stick to the Onkyo this will be limiting factor.

The Schiit Modi 2 DAC is capable of 16/44.1 to 24/96, including 24/88.2, without Windows drivers, or up to 24/192 with Windows drivers (from the Schiit Audio website).

When you connect your Onkyo CS-265 to your ELAC BS 53.2 you are limited to Redbook CD format or 16bit/44.1kHz.
Even when you connect a USB stick to the Onkyo this will be limiting factor.

The Schiit Modi 2 DAC is capable of 16/44.1 to 24/96, including 24/88.2, without Windows drivers, or up to 24/192 with Windows drivers (from the Schiit Audio website).

Thanks. Ya, I know...what I want to know is, even if I have a 24/192 file, will it be automatically downsampled to 24/96 without the driver?

Also, I needed help to install the driver and configure my windows 8.1 lappy since I am a bit confused. can anybody help me with a link?

Thanks and regards

My DAC can decode 24/192 but I have in last 5 years never felt a tangible difference between a 16 bit source and 24 bit. Original source matters more than what your DAC can decode.

If you have choice between a DAC that can do 16/44.1 and one that can decode 24/192 - i would in hindsight choose the former and invest the surplus into better speakers, IC, and a high quality USB SPDIF

That's why I like something like a
Rega DAC R or even a Naim DAC

No pre amp

No frills

Just use your laptop to DAC USB to Amp.

Computer audio can get very complicated...With wireless and everything

Regards

Back