Hi there!

Dr Rohit

Just joined the forum, thought I will post my first question

Just recently bought the Onkyo TX SR304 E along with Polk audio Monitor 50 fronts. But I feel that I am not exploiting the speakers enough with the entry level amp.

Any suggestions for the AV receivers/settings to get the max out of the Polks!

Thanks

Welcome Dr. Rohit,

What exactly are you missing? There are only a few things you can do with a speaker. These are:

• Feed it more power within limits specified by the speaker manufacturer, either with the existing AVR or through a separate 2 channel amp. Your AVR must have pre-outs for this.
  • Bi-amp it to separate the low frequencies from the high frequencies. Need to check whether the Monitor 50 is capable of being bi-amped.
  • Bi-Wire it.

None of this may have any value unless we know what you are looking for from the speakers and AVR combination. What is missing to your ears?

Cheers

Thanks V for the reply

yes the speakers have a bi-wired inputs (if that's what you mean) and are rated at 150 W RMS and the amps is rated at 110 W max (65-110)

I principally use the system for music, and the reason for my doubts principally are that I want to get the most out of the polks (maybe by using a different Av or perhaps tweaking the settings in my Onkyo)

I principally use the system for music, and the reason for my doubts principally are that I want to get the most out of the polks (maybe by using a different Av or perhaps tweaking the settings in my Onkyo)

Dr. Rohit, an AVR, that too of the 304 kind can only go so far for music,

The best option will be to get a good and inexpensive 2 channel amp, and use that to drive the Monitor 50s. When you are listening to music use the 2 channel amp alone with a direct connection from your CD Player or a DVD Player.

When you are watching a movie, the 2 channel amp can provide extra power for movie surround sound also.

Some of the inexpensive 2 channel amps you can look at are from NAD and Cambridge Audio. If budget is a problem, you can look at Indian manufacturers such as Norge, Pulz, or Craftel in Chennai.

Cheers

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back