Hi...

nuRoXX

... folks :)

A google search directed me to this forum, well, here I am.

Just briefly, coming from Hamburg and love to listen to all kind of metal (progressive, death, doom, power etc.). Anyone here I can share, beside of tech-talk, a bit about?

I have a pure stereo set-up consisting of nuWave 125 floorspeakers, a Korsun V8I amp and a Marantz SA 7001 KI CDP. That's all making me happy :D

And I spent a lot into the room. IMHO the most important factor for "good" sound rather than cables and other Voodoo-stuff... agree?

Hoping for an interesting exchange and remain with greetz from the cloudy and rainy Hamburg.

Hi,

Hearty welcome to forum ! have a blast here !

Nice to see folks from around the globe joining here :D!

Nice set-up you have;) !

And I spent a lot into the room. IMHO the most important factor for "good" sound rather than cables and other Voodoo-stuff... agree?

Am little on the disagree mode here ! please excuse me,nothing personal ! but Am from a school where these are THE most important(as much as the speakers,electronics and offcourse the source if not more) ! not that I don't agree with your views on the room,but the cable part well please do check out my DIY cables project as why I give more importance to them ;)!!

Am sure you can exchange very interesting views on various stuff !

Once again Greetings and Salutation from Cloudy and Rainy India (well what a coincidence :D )

Regards.

Last edited:
Hehe :D

Hi soundsgreat and thanks for your warm welcome :)

My first post here and a "direct hit" ... :eek:

But you are right, good connections are essential, certainly. I am using, f.e., Audioquest connections. Good stuff... but I would not say that they are better than the Oehlbach cables (simple "constructions" if you want) I've used before.

To my ears room-tuning has a much greater impact on the sound than any, let's call it, "fine-tuning". At least at the first instances, which are -> the loudspeakers (meeting your preferences) and its positioning, a good power supply (amp) and so on. Once all these basics are fine, I would think about wiring... however, just my two cents.

Your DIY connections are looking very interesting :) How would you describe them, characteristics etc. ?

Welcome nuRoXX, I agree with you. Based on my experiences in this Hifi hobby, speakers , speaker placement and room acoustics make 50% of sound. Source compoent comes next and then the amp. Speaker cables, interconnects and power cords at the best make 10% of the sound. Spending on Hifi components should be based on this , on speakers 40-50% and rest in that proportion.

Speakers along with its placement and room acoustics defines the sound , cables only job is that of fine tuning.

Speakers along with its placement and room acoustics defines the sound , cables only job is that of fine tuning.

Hi SuhasG,

yep, totally agree with that within the quote. The problem a lot people have (at least those who I know) is that they cannot locate speakers respectively improve room acoustics as they want (as it would have sense). A lot of my friends having their equipment in the living-room and all must pass the bosses (wifes, girlfriends etc.) approval... :D

I am very lucky as I have a room only for my Hifi-Hobby, which makes it very easy... I do not have to take care where to put the speakers (almost in the middle of the room), corner-blocks, absorbing material etc.

If you can't then of course fine tuning improves... not that much, but at least you have the feeling that you did improve... :)

Hi,

Its a very old debate and will continue to exist without any resolution :p !

But my preferrence is based on some actual tests conducted at various places to give importance to the acoustics and Gauge the quality that an cable will add ! so thats why I believe what I believe !

I've already elaborated bout the sound quality of these particular cables ! In my views its very very detailed and opened !with these cables certain frequencies that were missing or was thought non existent seems to be a thing of past !

In some days there will a link where one to one test has been done with my DIY cable with some top branded ones ! so post the links,so watch out for that !

Hope to have some good sharing of views with you in the future also ! please do post the pics of your setup for us to enjoy ! There's a dedicated thread for the that so please post there !!

Regards.

Last edited:
Hi soundsgreat,

oh yes, I know these kind of discussions from german forums... :rolleyes: never ending stories... but at least people having something to discuss :D .. finally it's all about our hobby :)

Well, I hope that I find that thread where I can put some pictures... At this stage I only read here and thus -> thanks @ all so far... introduction is over :D

Hi,

Yup you are right ! but most of the time it becomes more personal ! so thats why I have sworn not to step-in in any such debates or discussions :p !

Ok no worries Sir !

Here's the link for you ! now its your turn to do the needful ;)

showcase-your-audio-video-setup-here

Also post your listening sessions in the thread "Right now I am listening to ... " also it'll be very very interesting to know your views on the kinda music you listen, coz as to my knowledge there are almost none (may be a couple ! if hard pressed) with similar taste in the entire forum !

Regards.

Hi and thanks,

I did find that thread... just preparing some pictures... some from the very recent past and from today!

I'm somebody with a very basic set-up, but at least it sounds good to me -> metal rules :D ... just have a look.

See ya on the other link and thanks again for joining here :)

Music is the best!

Here you go: http://www.hifivision.com/my-audio-video-setup/1794-hi.html

Last edited:
[A lot of my friends having their equipment in the living-room and all must pass the bosses (wifes, girlfriends etc.) approval... :D
]

I do agree with your above statement, even the volume of the music played is controlled by the bosses mood.

Thank God it is same around the globe

Hi nuRoXX,

I like your listning room a lot, and am about to do up my listning room too, so would appreciate your feedback.

1. I particularly like the panels created behind your amplifier & CD player. I like the look of large gaps between the panels. Were these done for acoustic or asthetic reasons ?

What is the distance between the wall and the rear surface of each panel ? How was the mounting done ?I guess its essential that the mounting is ridgid and the gap filled with fibre wool ( ? ) so that there is no resonance ?

2. The corner Bass Traps look good. What was filled inside ? Did you make your own Bass Traps, or are these done professionally ?

3. The Room With The CD Racks behind the amplifier.... any specific reason why the CD rack was put there ( between the speakers) rather than on the side walls ?

The Walls in that pic seem to have a lovely texture. Are these Sound treated panels or just Wall paper ?

Any insights and suggestions MOST welcome... from other forum members too.

Thanks !

P.S: Links to some nice Listning room pics, available on the net, would be Very welcome.

Hi Amp_Nut,

many thanks for your nice words and I it will be a pleasure for me answering your questions.

Let me first compile some information (i.e. links to manufacturers, more pictures etc.).

Just briefly, all the stuff like the wall panels and so on are done professional. The texture on the wall is made of cotton I've applied with high pressure using a compressor.

I'll be back in some hours as I have do to my day business first.

See ya later on this link.

Hi Amp_Nut,

before I start to answer your questions, let me show you a bit of the history of my room. My general problem was the low frequencies (between 70Hz and 35 Hz) and its modes. I did try various speakers and speaker positions and different hardware with more or less successful results. And thus the present configuration I??ve posted in the http://www.hifivision.com/my-audio-video-setup/1794-hi.html thread is a mix-up in respect of all items (i.e. CD racks, wall panels etc.) but finally it works perfect. A good sound stage in width and depth as well as a bass coming down almost linear to 34 Hz (-3 dB). The room is almost ??dead?, means it has reverberation times less 3ms.

The following picture is the first set-up when I??ve started with the room. On the picture there are also some DIY speakers to see a friend has built. When we first placed the speakers plain to the wall, the bass was horrible (because of the one bass chassis which animated very bad bass modes) and we??ve put them across a room corner with a much better result.
01veryfirstsetupwithsomxd7.jpg

Because of the good result we had putting the speakers across a room??s corner I did place my speakers in the same way. At this time I still had the Marantz SA15S1, which is now replaced by the SA 7001 KI. I still have that cdp but will be sold? if somebody wants ;)
02previousconfigurationdv1.jpg

Another picture of the previous set-up
03previousconfigurationmp6.jpg

And one more for the road ;)
04previouskorsunsa15s1ksh7.jpg

The next picture is showing the listening position belonging to the above set-ups. I did place two wall panels (details about coming further below) on each side of the corner
05previouslisteningposixc5.jpg

Because of optical matters I did change the position of speakers etc. again, this picture is showing the listening position I had before the present one
06previouslisteningposiyp3.jpg

Above the wall panels have been positioned as they should be, behind the listening position (which was approx. 1m from the rear wall). Around them you can see also smaller wall panels.

That??s now the present listening position, with small absorber panels and some diffuser on top of them.
07presentlisteningpositel9.jpg

14combinationabsorberdius0.jpg

The rack with the equipment is not in between the speakers but a little behind, which is acceptable in terms of influences.

08rackbehindrearofloadsye1.jpg

On a previous picture above you did see that I even had corner blocks behind the listening position which are now placed half length side wall. I was very surprised what affect they have in these positions (I did measure also)
09cornerblockinthemiddlfn5.jpg

09cornerblockinthemiddlri6.jpg

A word to the big wall panels and the frames: The wall panels having a size of each 100cm x 100cm x 5cm. I did placed two panels in each frame. BTW, the frames are made by a friend of mine.

The frames are having a depth of 20cm to get a gap between the panel and the wall of 10cm. You should have at least a distance between the panel and the wall of the panel??s thickness. In the corners small white fittings are installed for mounting them on the wall.

At all I have installed four of these wall panels.
10wallpanel1smframe10cmss3.jpg

11wallpanel1smframe10cmww5.jpg

12wallpanel1smframe10cmao7.jpg

13wallpanel1smframe10cmdc2.jpg

The wall panels I have purchased in the following on-line shop
THE T.AKUSTIK BASOTECT 50 100/100 4ER PACK - U.K. International Cyberstore

The corner blocks I??ve bought here (unfortunately in German language only)
Schallschutz Schalldämmung - www.aixfoam.de - Akustik Online-Shop

Here is a link to another acoustic stuff on-line-dealer in English language. But sure you are having such dealers also around
SONATECH

Here is a link to sample pictures showing tuned rooms. Unfortunately in German language (click on the fifth button on the left -> KUNDENFOTOS)
RTFS- Der Anbieter von Wohnraumakustik Elementen

Maybe you??ve heard about the company Hunecke already, which people are professionals in room acoustic and related stuff. They have, in my opinion, some interesting tools made available.

Link to speaker calculator
hunecke.de | Loudspeakers Calculator

Link to acoustic calculator
hunecke.de | Room Acoustics Calculator

Link to calculate room modes
hunecke.de | Room Eigenmodes Calculator

Your questions

1. I particularly like the panels created behind your amplifier & CD player. I like the look of large gaps between the panels. Were these done for acoustic or asthetic reasons ?

I am not sure to which gaps you are referring to. The wall panels are having a gap to each other because of the frames. The gap between the wall panels and corner blocks (bass traps) is created by the room / wall dimension.

What is the distance between the wall and the rear surface of each panel ?

The distance is 10cm (as a minimum - distance = thickness of panels)

How was the mounting done ?I guess its essential that the mounting is ridgid and the gap filled with fibre wool ( ? ) so that there is no resonance ?

See one of the above pictures showing the wall panel from rear. There is no material filling the gap otherwise the panels would not work that effective. You have to have a free gap between the panel and the wall behind for the waves (frequencies) running dead.

2. The corner Bass Traps look good. What was filled inside ?

The bass traps are ??solid? but made from absorbing material - have a look on that manufacturer??s link I??ve made above. Also here is nothing behind for the same reason as above.

Did you make your own Bass Traps, or are these done professionally ?

See above

3. The Room With The CD Racks behind the amplifier.... any specific reason why the CD rack was put there ( between the speakers) rather than on the side walls ?

My initial idea was to create a diffuser (destroying waves into smaller -> shorter reflections) with CD racks. But finally I left it as the texture is doing a very good job.

The Walls in that pic seem to have a lovely texture. Are these Sound treated panels or just Wall paper ?

The texture is, as mentioned above, cotton, made for that purpose. I??ve applied it with 130 litres of water. It was a hell of work but I am happy that I did. Unfortunately I haven??t found any English web-page.

Hoping that I did answer your questions satisfactorily, if not just ask :)

I??m just wondering whether or not this forum has a room acoustic thread. So far I did not explore, well, I did not run through all topics yet. Again, in my eyes / ears it will improve sound dramatically ;)

Last edited:
Hi nuRoXX,

Thanks for a Great Post .

Its informative, detailed and educative for me.

I am about to do up my room, and your post has been VERY informative.

The overall results of your labour are very aesthetic, and pleasing to the eye.

You seem to have worked on and tried out practically all options, including 'firing' across the room corner.

The wall panels have been done well, and dont look so bulky when mounted. Yes, I have just learned ( read on the net, into LATE last night ) that a gap is essential from the wall.

I have also been wondering about what to do on the door, and I see a panel on your door.

I am toying with the use of a quadratic diffuser built into the door, probably with a fiber wool backing ...

However, the door will be half covered by the Listning chair, and just 2.5 feet behind the listning position, so I am wondering ....:confused: Any suggestions ?

Thanks once again for a SUPERB post. Clearly its taken you a LOT of time and effort, but MUCH appreciated by me.

Cheers !

Hi,
Great set up.
Nuroxx availability of readymade room treatment is in its infancy in our country and its a learning experience for me. Am sure your set up sounds beautiful( sure looks cool).
Something in common is the "need for that little white stick" sticking in between your fingers!!
Cheers

Hi Amp_Nut,

glad to hear/read that the information might be of help setting up your room :)

However, the door will be half covered by the Listning chair, and just 2.5 feet behind the listning position, so I am wondering ....:confused: Any suggestions ?

I believe the distance between door (which you intend to cover with diffusor) and the chair is sufficient. Presently I have less than a feet (behind a 12cm thick combination made of absorber and diffusor, Ok, plus the cotton texture). Yep, as you said, just play around... BTW, your listening chair, of what material is it made and how high is the backrest? Asking because in the small set-up room I had a leather chair and its backrest was higher than my head was once seated and thus all arrangements I've done behind had not that affect anymore.

If you don't mind just put a sketch of your room (incl. measurements) in here, showing speakers and listening position. Maybe, if you like, we can work together on it...

However, happy to be of further assistance.

Brgds,
nuRoXX

edit:

Forgot to mention, the ceiling has no treatment other than the cotton texture

BTW, good alternative material, if you have not that ease access to professional stuff for wall panels and corner trapps are mattresses covered with any kind of cotton... advantage here, you can use any color for the covers fitting your room colors or interior

Last edited:
Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back