Hifi and HT Integration - results of upgrades

murali

After quite a few upgrades in the last one year or so, my system, with hifi and HT integrated right from the beginning, has become more complicated and messier, but with positive results, and therefore no regrets so far.

Well, the first was the main speakers, moving from Vandy 2Ce to Quatro (wood), just replacement kind-to-kind in the setup, same double biwire cables etc. But with built-in woofer amplifier, I used the same VdH Mainstream power cords (earlier used with Rel Strata subs, now with arj) direct to wall sockets. Next came the Audio Research Ref 3, another one-to-one replacement to VTL 5.5. But with balanced inputs now available, I replaced the Audioquest Cheetah unbalanced (from Ayre C-5 CDP to preamp)to Sky balanced. The same VH Audio Flavor-4 power cord continues with the ARC, again direct to wall socket. Then came the Aesthetix Atlas power amp replacing the Ayre V-5. Another one-to-one substitution with Cheetah ICs and Flavor-4 power cord. The Atlas is wonderful with the Quatro but the Ayre is also great and I am reluctant to part with it.

Finally came the Vandy VCC-5 reference center channel in place of the VCC-1 I have been using. Now, that is a monster of a speaker tri-coaxial in design with 2 woofers behind the treble and mid-range, weighing around 35 kg and 2ft wide, 1 ft high and 1 1/2 ft deep. But switching the Ayre to drive it as well as the older VCC-1 now shifted as rear back speaker, the HT dialogues are incredible. The old Rotel multichannel warhorse amp continues to drive the two surrounds (VSM-1).

Now I look for only two things. A sturdy wooden stand for my Kuro TV which can also hold the VCC-5 above or below the TV, and a Marantz AV7005 to replace the Rotel 1068 now being used only as preamp with all processing done by the Oppo 93. In my recent visit, I tried for a buy-back deal with a local dealer in Cochin but reached nowhere. Someone posted here a few weeks ago that the MRP of Marantz is around Rs 95k and I approached the dealer with some residual value buy-back for the Rotel but was told that the MRP runs into 1L + a few thousands. I can buy the Marantz here for half that price and so another attempt to be a "patriotic" Indian promoting Indian business failed.

That explains why the older equipment are all still sitting with me. The latest a local guy approached me was with a serious offer of a few thousands for the old speakers and preamp, justifying that he can use them whereas I don't!

May be, once I am able to remove the clusters and organise all my equipment decently, I can try to post some photos. Till then, I have to find my way like jumping hurdles to access most of them, especially the rear sides.

Thanks for reading and cheers.
murali

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back