Hifi Setup Advice Needed

WildRain

Hello Folks,

I'm looking to set up my first hifi. I've short-listed a few, based on reviews and forums, please provide your guidance.

Amplifiers (prices in SGD):
Marantz PM6003 380/-
Marantz PM8003 680/-
Rotel RA-1062 880/-
Rotel RA-04se 440/-

CDP
Marantz CD6003 380/-

Speakers:
BW 685 950/-
MS Mezzo2 720/-
MA RX1 850/-
MA RS1 750/- (old stock, color not good)

Speakers with some streched budget ;)
Dynaudio 3/7 1100/-
Dynaudio xcite x12 1450/-

I also wanted to consider EB1, but too tough to make up mind without audition.

I live in singapore, and each brand has a different dealer and its almost impossible to get an audition without purchasing atleast one set of components. MS and Marantz are with the same dealer, everything else are different dealers. Hence any suggestions/prior experience/thoughts are welcome.

I mostly listen to Rock (Queen/Tom Petty/REM etc..), selected country once in a while and mostly the classic rock radio station. I'm planning to add an Xtreamer as well.

Cheers

I am not too sure, but from a value for money and a balance of performance point of view, you should consider these:
Marantz PM6003 380/-(I have no idea about Rotel)
MA RX1 850/-
Or perhaps B&W 684

You can also consider Polk Audio RTi A7

Amongst your shortlist, I would group the products as follows:

(1) Maranntz CDP+Amp with either MA MS speakers.
(2) Rotel amp with either B&W or Dynaudio.

The Excite 12 is an excellent speaker that creates a large sound stage as well as low base for it's size.

I am not sure whether it will make sense to pair Rotel Amps with Marantz CDP. I feel there are better CDPs available out in the market. If you take a demo of Emotiva ERC1, it will be good. Else listen to a few other CDPs including Creek, Cyrus, Rotel, and even possibly CA.

Cheers

Thank you everyone for replies.

techboy,
the WHF review warns of pairing the RX1 with any warm electronics. So i'm wondering how it would do with the marantz. Did u have a chance to audition?

Venkatcr,
Any reason why you suggest Rotel with only Dyna's & BWs?
I've heard that feedback about xcite 12s before...but a bit too steep. What do u think about DM2/7? Both of these are certainly on my shortlist for audition. Might strech if the x12 prove to be a huge improvement on DM2/7. I'd enquired about cyrus 6XP and its selling for SGD 2200/- totally out of range.:sad: . the CDP wont be any different, i guess.

reddymail,
I figured out that both are very helpful, unlike some of the others in Adelphi :rolleyes: . I noticed you're in SG as well. Did you have any luck before getting an audition across different retailers? (e.g. Dynaudios and Rotel, rotel and BW). That would be ideal, although hard to convince. The RA-1062 is 880/-, my guess is RA-1520 would be even more steep. I was thinking along the lines of spending less on the amplifier and more on the speakers (e.g. PM8003 & Xcite 12.). This is more due to an article i read recently on amplifiers not making much difference.

BTW, how would u compare the PM8003 vs Rotel-RA1062/1520? I know a lot is on personal preference, but could it justify the ~200 extra? Are the sound signatures considerably different?

thanks again... cheers

Any reason why you suggest Rotel with only Dyna's & BWs? I've heard that feedback about xcite 12s before...but a bit too steep. What do u think about DM2/7? Both of these are certainly on my shortlist for audition. Might strech if the x12 prove to be a huge improvement on DM2/7. I'd enquired about cyrus 6XP and its selling for SGD 2200/- totally out of range.:sad: . the CDP wont be any different, i guess.

Rotel needs good speakers to open up and sing well. My guess is that the Dynaudio and and B&W will be more in it's league. I have not heard the MD2/7, so I have no idea.

Yes, Cyrus products are expensive. That is one of the reasons I asked you to look at Emotiva CDP. What little I heard the CDP, it had a large sound stage and was able to extract the sound well from the CDs.

Cheers

rotel is not a good match with monitor audios. makes it sound too bright. but they match well with the b & w's. in saying this i am not a fan of the 685. the rx1 is a much better speaker (and more expensive as well:)). i would go for the rx1 with the marantz or you should even consider a nad. i've got no experience with the dynaudio

whats your total budget and what sort of music do you like listening to. whats your room size

like i said i dont have much experience with the dyn audio so wont comment on that. check out also the ma rx2. pairing with a nad is always good. marantz isnt bad either. as for the power of the amp the nad c355 would do nicely

Even I have heard good things about Monitor Audio RX1/RX2 esp about their huge bass. However, the price isn't cheap.

But for their price, they will probably be really good.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back