HiFi stores in California

Thanks everyone for your suggestions and guidance. I will go and listen to different systems for the experience. Btw, I have picked up a Quad 606mk2 to try with my Tannoys, they are supposed to work well together and not too expensive.

Quad amps are quite good and a bargain if you look at price they go in used market. I am using Q909 and quite happy with it driving Spiritwinds.

ideally the frequency ie 60Hz vs 50 Hz must also match. a US amp is designed for 60 hz and indian power is 50 hz.

I wrote about this in earlier threads.

A 120V, 60Hz trafo has smaller core due to higher frequency and smaller V/f ratio or lower flux density B when compared to that designed for 50Hz. When it comes to using a 120V, 60Hz trafo at 50Hz it results in over fluxing as flux density now increases leading to even saturation. The core has to be larger to meet the heat due to iron losses or prevent saturation. Impedance of the windings too change affecting the voltage regulation.

So it is not the winding but core is more important here.

I am going to San Fransisco next week, and will be visiting Los Angeles as well. Can anybody guide me about good hifi stores where I can audition different amplifiers. Also are there any good stores who deal in used gear. I am looking for an amplifier for my Tannoy GM15.
Thanks
Hi anshul... It would be easier to buy source gear in the US and lug it back. It won't be difficult finding a quality step down transformer for it in India, that will function quitely.

Amps are heavy and monstrous to carry. Besides the good ones will be really power hungry. And you will need a big high quality step down to run it in India. And the big ones hum like crazy.

While iam an advocate of running 110v gear with a step down, as the step down provides an additional degree of protection. But amps are a no-no, and a completely different ball game altogether. So better stick to low power consumption items like streamers or dac's.

Also please bear in mind, that the max weight of any peice of baggage cannot exceed 31kgs as per airline rules. So if you buy something heavy, then you might have to buy a case to just carry it back. And not to forget our friendly customs guys once back here 😱😱.

If my memory serves me right, on the usaudiomart.com site, in the advanced search feature, you should be able to select 220v there. That might make short listing gear easier. And if you buy from this site, please check with the seller about shipping. As many sellers only ship to the address registered with the PayPal account. So might have to get a local friend to pay and receive the item. However if you can meet, pay and collect directly from seller, in person. Then it will be safer.

All the best 😜... And happy hunting 😁👍

Edit :
1. Parasound gear is usually dual voltage compatible.
2. Usually class D gear is dual voltage compatible. Nad, devialet etc.. Have to check about peachtree though.
3. Aurender and innuos can be voltage swapped internally by you.
4. Auralic and lumin gear cannot be converted to 220v last time I checked. But please recheck again.

Last edited:
For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back