High efficiency compression drivers speakers

Hi All,

As we see that market is fully driven by speakers which have sensitivity of around 86-89DB. There is another range where DB level is high to the tune of 94DB to 100 DB and plus. These are particularly compression horns and have unique sound signatures and they need less wattage amplifier.

Despite all these are not very popular and have very limited availability in market.

Is this the right technology to buy? Or suggest right option for single digit power of single ended tube amps.

Thanks
Rajesh

Compression drivers are very good devices. You need a large room and be seated at the least 10 metres from them. They look ugly with their multicellular horns. These are used in PA systems where projection of sound is more important than delicacy and musical detail. Most units do not perform below 500Hz.

Mohan
5 Feb 2019

As we see that market is fully driven by speakers which have sensitivity of around 86-89DB. There is another range where DB level is high to the tune of 94DB to 100 DB and plus. These are particularly compression horns and have unique sound signatures and they need less wattage amplifier.

Despite all these are not very popular and have very limited availability in market.

Is this the right technology to buy? Or suggest right option for single digit power of single ended tube amps.

The high efficiency speaker game is alive and kicking among a select few enthusiasts. What is interesting is that the sound is glorious in tone and musicality when done right. Though not a certainty these tend to sound great with tube amplification. One of the best things about this area is that you have some very good options at reasonable prices. Look for more info with the guys in our DIY forum.

Lyrita Audio based out of Delhi is a well regarded manufacturer of tube amps. You should talk to Viren Bakshi if you get the chance.

Regards.

I am using DIY Jericho horns with Fostex Fe208 sigma made by FM @manniraj . They sound delightful. I am using hybrid tube receiver from Dared - DV -6C. The SPLs are amazing.

@arunkvivek

They look amazing and I do miss them :)
I feel really bad about taking them away from you. It has been the best pooch liya to jinga lala moment.
If you had given it a second thought, I am sure I wouldn't have been able to convince you to part away with these beauties. I think it was your DIY instinct that was generous enough to find them a new home.

The Jericho Horns were designed keeping in mind the Fostex 208Sigma series of drivers as per this link - http://www.plasmatweeter.de/jericho.htm
This design was published in a German magazine way back in 1980's I believe.

Initially I thought of building the tried and tested BLH for this driver which had plans published by fostex. But that involved like 50-60 pieces of cut panels on each speaker which made me wonder how do I finish or carry them to my 1st floor apartment. Then looking at the above design which is simple but some complicated angled cuts for inner baffles I went ahead and got the panels cut professionally from one of my friends interior design garage. Now when I started putting in the panels to check the size realized that they are so huge but I went ahead with the plan. Once I made the speakers it was just pain to carry each from my balcony to my living space. Had to request my wife to help me out.

So as per the build guides from the above link its suitable for this driver only and I have not seen anyone building the same Jericho horns for any other drivers. But I think any other Fostex 8" like the 206en or similar should hold good but not sure unless you try and listen to them.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back