Hindi Film Music - No one Buying?? News--

hemantwaghe

Banned
Banned
From Mumbai Mirror

Not music to ears anymore - Mumbai Mirror

Not music to ears anymore
By Vickey Lalwani, Mumbai Mirror | Oct 23, 2013, 12.00 AM IST

The market for music rights has lost its sheen. Tips and Venus, the two big players in the music industry, have been abstaining from purchasing music rights of films since quite some time.

The latest is that the biggest player in this industry, T-Series, has also developed cold feet.

A source told this newspaper, Venus and Tips say they have been bleeding since quite some time. Ditto for the fringe players. No business makes sense if it is not translating into profits.

Confirming that he hadnt made any major purchase of music rights in the past three years, head honcho of Venus, Ratan Jain said, I can buy the music rights of any film. But is the cost that most filmmakers demand from us justified?

The whole modus operandi is bizarre. Today, if you have a big star in your film, you demand an exorbitant amount from music companies.

And where are the good lyrics and good tunes? There is no emotion, no romance in films. How do you expect songs that touch your heart and stay with you? We have special song and dance numbers ruling the roost, most of which you dont even remember after two days or maybe even lesser time? Why should I indulge in heavy buying? To suffer losses?

Head honcho of Tips, Ramesh Taurani, sounded equally upset about the downfall of the music market. Please get this straight. There is little to no physical sale of music in shops. We have to depend on digitalisation. How much money can I derive from that?

Jain endorsed his opinion, saying, Digitalisation is shrouded with piracy. Even the records which hit the market last year for a second innings are not selling anymore.

Added Jain, Leave out Yeh Jawaani Hai Deewani and name one song from this year which has stayed in public memory? We have reached a sorry state of affairs as far as the music industry is concerned.

Bhushan Kumar of T-Series said, "This is a very recent development on my front. Even I am not going to indulge in buying too many music rights. I will be very selective. Recovery of money in this business has become tough."

Buzz is, T-Series paid Rs 7 crore to ensure that the music of Chennai Express didn't go to a rival. Besides, Bhushan Kumar also reportedly gave Rs 12 crore to bag the music for Salman Khan's upcoming movies, Kick and Mental, Rs 5 crore for Hrithik Roshan's much-awaited Krrish 3 and another Rs 5 crore for Ranbir Kapoor's Besharam.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back