HMV GRAMAPHONE worth

freshseasons

Ok one of my friend has a very old be good condition working gramphone from HMV.
He wants to sell this off..How much should this go for.?
Model is like exactly like the picture given below.
URL=http://img100.imageshack.us/i/hmv.jpg/]
hmv.jpg
[/URL]

Can someone please help me with this? Should i buy this..:)

This is Antique 1950-70's HMV (His Master's Voice) Gramaphone.A very sought after item.(Personally i Dont know why)
I hope you know this thing doesnt have batteries or electrical connections.One needs to wind the handle and then run it.
But then you must know it already if you are interested.How much can you give out for this ,let me know,so i can convince him something.

Last edited:
Some manufacturers from Delhi are selling replicas of such gramophone for 4000 to 5000 Rs. Is it a genuine HMV, Vintage, working and in good condition ? Can you post some pics ?. Also will require lots and lots of needles. Damages records with repeated use. Can be great only for occasional hearing and if you want to re-live the nostalgic moments.

No this isn't the replica.Infact very well used Gramphone.Was with friends with years. Infact this thread has taken a wrong thread.I am not the one to sell this.I opened this thread to ask whether infact should i buy this one from him and for how much. :licklips:

generally would need lots of needles like hiten pointed out, it has the potential to damage records if you're not careful. more for nostalgic value. pick up price around 4k or under or thereabouts. tons of these floating around in bombay but don't know if they are genuine or well made replicas. i think Music Album is an indian company selling these online too.

regards

I think imitation retails around max 4K.But is its genuine then...:yahoo: Treasure.Anyways here are the ways to find out if its genuine.
If in doubt about what you are looking at; consider these five points;

1/ Nearly all the 'Bombay Fakes' have brass horns. Genuine brass horns are actually very rare items as brass was little used after around 1908 as, in fact, steel sounds better as it resonates less 'metalically' when vibrated. After a century brass is not bright and shiny but at the very least dull if not verdigris with age. If it even looks new-ish- it's going to be new!

2/ The cases of some Indian machines are either hexagonal or circular. Such case shapes never existed originally (with the exception of the circular Spanish Aerophone which is a very large and distinctive machine badged in its own right).

3/ Only one scarce model of HMV horned machine (the Model 32 of 1927) bears the 'Dog' trademark picture on its case in a yellow picture frame. All the Indian copies use a fake transfer derived from late HMV cabinet gramophones which used this 'framed' image. This alone tells you that the machine cannot be 'the real thing' as all other genuine horned HMV's bear the 'dog and gramophone' symbol with minimal background colour beneath the subjects and no frame whatsoever.

4/ Almost without exception, Indian machines have horn elbows made of two conical sections soldered together. This was never done in the past. An elbow should appear as one continuous curve from machine to horn.

5/ The 'horn era' ends in the late 1920's just as cast iron turntables are almost universally replaced by pressed steel ones. Although a late horned machine may bear a steel turntable with a sloping outer edge to it, the vast majority of genuine machines of this type have a turntable whose edge is vertical to the deck and not sloping. Certainly no HMV horned machines have turntables with sloping edges.
source: Reproduction Indian Gramophones | Howard Hope Phonographs & Gramophones | Howard Hope

So watch out for these.But if it is a genuine its a treasure.
:clapping:

hi freshseasons,

from the info you dug up, it appears to be a replica cos there's a yellow background, shape is hexagonal and there's a frame to the pic. yet you seem to bear hope that its genuine. am i missing something?

regards

hi freshseasons,

from the info you dug up, it appears to be a replica cos there's a yellow background, shape is hexagonal and there's a frame to the pic. yet you seem to bear hope that its genuine. am i missing something?

regards

Yes the thing that you are missing is nowwhere did i say these are the actual pictures of the phonogram.Just something for the reference.
The real pic shows they are genuine.I am waiting for my friend to return back from outstation so i can snap some pictures before i decide to buy em.
Thanks all for the valuable input.

Yes the thing that you are missing is nowwhere did i say these are the actual pictures of the phonogram.Just something for the reference.
The real pic shows they are genuine.I am waiting for my friend to return back from outstation so i can snap some pictures before i decide to buy em.
Thanks all for the valuable input.

hi freshseasons,

do not pay more than $ 2600/- (INCL, Vat) -

probably a good bargain -

can someone tell me how much should I pay on this ?

thank you !

Attachments

• IMG_3082.jpg
    IMG_3082.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 42
Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back